Thread: Koni Rebuilders 01-2017

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

Koni Rebuilders 01-2017

Thank you for contacting us here at KONI NA. To have the dampers rebuilt you will need to contact one of our 3 Authorized Service Centers directly, as KONI NA is no longer rebuilding or servicing dampers on site at our location. All rebuilds are now handled directly through those authorized centers.

Performance Shock - (800) 965-5664 http://performanceshock.com/index.ph...oducts_id=1155
    TrueChoice - (888) 566-4722 http://truechoicekoniracingservices.com/
    Pro Parts West -(818) 888-8904 http://propartsusa.com/

Mitsu booster

Re: Koni Rebuilders 01-2017

ProParts ftw!
    I've had a few sets rebuilt there, and quality is always top notch!

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Is the rebuild cost any better because of the change? Last time i had some priced it was basically the same as what they were new, but potentially more depending on what they needed.
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Quote Originally Posted by wheming View Post
    Is the rebuild cost any better because of the change? Last time i had some priced it was basically the same as what they were new, but potentially more depending on what they needed.
    Probably the same.

Garrett booster

I currently have the full set of Konis from my ’86 GLHS atTrueChoice in Ohio for rebuild. Theywere the closest to me in VA and I thought the shipping costs would be lessthan to CA where I believe the other (2) rebuilders are located. Prices were quoted as:

Rear Coilovers: $157.50 + $10-$40 in parts (priceper each coilover) Full set (worstcase) = $396

Front Struts: $189 + $10-$40in parts (price per each strut) Full set (worst case) = $458

Full vehicle is $854 (worst case), plus whatever return shipping costs. Pricey, but should be one-time expenseconsidering they lasted (30) years the first go-around….

Dave

- - - Updated - - -

And sorry for the lack of spaces between some words – I typeit correctly, then submit and it removes some random spaces when it posts. Then won’t let me edit it!

Worth it. Especially if you run a set of LRE springs. There's nothing like an L body that handles like a go cart.

boostaholic

LRE springs are pretty incredible. Pity no more exist.

Do the rebuilders re-powdercoat the bodies of the struts/shocks?
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    Do the rebuilders re-powdercoat the bodies of the struts/shocks?
    That's a great point. Nothing is finer then a fresh set of shiny red Konis!

turbo addict

Jon,
    I believe they are just painted with hardener and not powdercoated. It's possible, but doesn't seem thick enough for powdercoat.

I currently have the full set of Konis from my ’86 GLHS atTrueChoice in Ohio for rebuild. Theywere the closest to me in VA and I thought the shipping costs would be lessthan to CA where I believe the other (2) rebuilders are located. Prices were quoted as:

Rear Coilovers: $157.50 + $10-$40 in parts (priceper each coilover) Full set (worstcase) = $396

djm3452004 wrote:
    Front Struts: $189 + $10-$40in parts (price per each strut) Full set (worst case) = $458
    Full vehicle is $854 (worst case), plus whatever return shipping costs. Pricey, but should be one-time expenseconsidering they lasted (30) years the first go-around….
    Dave

Wow Dave, you must drive conservatively or at least more so than me (lol). I bought a set new for my 85 GLHT probably in 87, and fronts have been rebuilt 2 times under warranty and rears once under warranty in 35K miles. Koni knows why these things fail so often, but they told me it cost to much to retool than to correct the problem. You put on a sticky enough tire DOT legal tire on it and corner hard enough and piston will deflect enough to take seal out. First the gas leaks out then the oil shortly thereafter. Koni won't honor warranty on shocks/struts that have bottomed out.
    Not sure if you guys knew this but the original Mustang SVO owners got their Koni's repaired under lifetime warranty at N/C but GLHS owners did not. What a bunch of BS that was! Had that discussion with Koni of NA several times.
    Todd

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Hmm, I have a front one that seems to be blown on my black Daytona. It sounds like it's coming through the shock tower on certain bumps.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

From the ones I've seen the paint is pretty low grade. Some are gloss, some are dull. They probably use what ever is on the bench in a rattle can at the time of rebuild.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by ajakeski View Post
    From the ones I've seen the paint is pretty low grade. Some are gloss, some are dull. They probably use what ever is on the bench in a rattle can at the time of rebuild.
    That's too bad.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by ajakeski View Post

I will let you all know what mine look like when they comeback from TrueChoice. I have to admitthat if I’m paying such a high price for a rebuild, I would be hoping for alike-new condition upon their return, in both function and appearance.

However, my expectations and other people’s standards aretypically not in line with each other, and I end up disappointed. I find a lot of the time I expect people toapproach jobs with the level of care I apply to my own work, then getaggravated when they do the bare minimum, even at a premium price.So is that they suck, or am I at fault for trying to hold them to myexpectations?(rhetorical)

Dave