Thread: I need a "Tutorial" for getting set up for MPTune

Garrett booster

I need a "Tutorial" for getting set up for MPTune

So I have been able to find a lot of good information on how to install and use MPTune online. I am however having trouble trying to figure out exactly what I need to do so I can get to the point where I am able to connect and start tuning.

I am going to be trying to tune on a LM from an 87 LeBaron Turbo1 car

From what I can gather I need to
    -Buy an SCI Cable end and then wire a USB cable to it. (Not sure which wires need to go where tho)
    -Then I am going to need to replace the chip in the LM with one that can be flashed
    -Then I need to connect the computer to the car thru the com port that the USB is plugged in to following instructions on the "MPTuner Sticky"

I am not the greatest when it comes to programing. I am used to the more plug and play stuff that is out there for newer cars so sorry if any of this seems like it is obvious. I did do a lot of reading before posting this so hopefully I am not asking questions that have already been explained

Thanks for any help!

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

Re: I need a "Tutorial" for getting set up for MPTune

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by enduro74 View Post
    So I have been able to find a lot of good information on how to install and use MPTune online. I am however having trouble trying to figure out exactly what I need to do so I can get to the point where I am able to connect and start tuning.

I am going to be trying to tune on a LM from an 87 LeBaron Turbo1 car

From what I can gather I need to
    -Buy an SCI Cable end and then wire a USB cable to it. (Not sure which wires need to go where tho)
    -Then I am going to need to replace the chip in the LM with one that can be flashed
    -Then I need to connect the computer to the car thru the com port that the USB is plugged in to following instructions on the "MPTuner Sticky"

I am not the greatest when it comes to programing. I am used to the more plug and play stuff that is out there for newer cars so sorry if any of this seems like it is obvious. I did do a lot of reading before posting this so hopefully I am not asking questions that have already been explained

Thanks for any help!
    The boost button link posted us a great start. There are also thinks on youtube. Also I don't think there is an easy way to "Flash" LMs they need to have the chip removed and re-burned every time you change something. Or get something like an Ostrich from Moates.com

I reccomend buying some chips, a burner and downloading the MPTune and go from there, don't worry about the cable unless you want to datalog with MPScan
    Last edited by 1BADVAN; 01-21-2017 at 02:18 PM.

Garrett booster

I purchased a ZIF 28 pin socket and a couple SST 27SF512 Chips. I am trying to buy a burner but I am having some difficulty finding one. On boost button they recommend a Willem burner which I have found several different ones but I am not sure which one to get. This one looks like it has a socket for the 28pin chip but i wasn't for sure that it would work http://www.ebay.com/itm/Programmer-W...3D190272828503

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by ajakeski View Post
    if the moates burner is all you need then you should get that one. it is natively supported in mptune - basically compile the cal and burn. it will automatically determine the correct locations.
    89 Voyager LE, 2.5T2 - rest in peace
    87 Charger Shelby T2 (2.4 conversion in process)

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by wowzer View Post
    if the moates burner is all you need then you should get that one. it is natively supported in mptune - basically compile the cal and burn. it will automatically determine the correct locations.
    I am tuning a LM currently and am going to have to tune a SMEC and would also like to be able to tune SBEC which the Burn2 does not support from what I read. If it is still my best option being I have not worked with MPTune or a Burner before I will go with it for now and upgrade to something else later as I learn more.