Thread: Looking for someone that can burn a 670 MP chip for a long time TM owner

turbo addict

Looking for someone that can burn a 670 MP chip for a long time TM owner

Hi,
    Hoping to find someone here that can burn a MP stage II 670 chip for a friend. This is a MP stage II LM with the socketed board. Friends 86 GLHS was working perfectly then suddenly started running VERY lean under boost. Even with alky injection A/F is 15-16:1 under boost! He has wide band in vehicle and after checking all the obvious stuff, he re-installed his stock 86 GLHS LM and all the lean problems went away. WOT then went back down to 11.8-12.0 :1. So pretty sure it is bad LM. I've personally seen and heard of this happening before (mostly with custom cals).
    Hoping that a new 670 chip will cure the aliment & get him back on the road. Obviously willing to pay a reasonable amount for this service.
    Please PM me for his address or phone # if you can help, or know someone that can help him. He is a long, long, time TM owner but pretty much doesn't post on the forums.
    Thanks,
    Todd
    Last edited by 4 l-bodies; 01-12-2017 at 12:28 PM.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: Looking for someone that can burn a 670 MP chip for a long time TM owner

PM sent
    I can burn chips but I don't have #670
    I did find 86_22_t2_640_GLHS_STGII.zip

Last edited by chromguy; 01-11-2017 at 11:48 PM.
    Regards,
    Miles

DD '87 Sundance T1, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432 2.5 CB TII, SLH

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

All stock Mopar cals are available for download thanks to BoostButton page. The data on the chip doesn't change unless it is modified or damaged in some way. The issue is may be a problem with the logic module circuitry and your friend may have the same issue with the new chip.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...Cal-Repository

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ajakeski View Post
    All stock Mopar cals are available for download thanks to BoostButton page. The data on the chip doesn't change unless it is modified or damaged in some way. The issue is may be a problem with the logic module circuitry and your friend may have the same issue with the new chip.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...Cal-Repository
    This ^
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

turbo addict

Still can't reply with quote or multi-quote so I'll need to reply this way. Thanks Andy and Rob. I understand your point, but isn't it worth trying to salvage the socketed LM? Rob, have you ever seen this happen or tried to pinpoint what fails when this happens? Seen this problem a couple times myself where a perfectly running LM suddenly goes bad. Others (Boostgeek comes to mind) have experienced it too. Back it into garage one night, and vehicle barely runs or doesn't start the next morning. Or vehicle runs fine but is severely lean when it goes into positive pressure (boost). Replace LM module only after exhaustive checking of everything else (fuel pump, injectors cleaned and flowbenched, recalibrate wideband, HEP, wiring, MAP, TPS, CTS, PM, checking codes and diagnostic no start/driveability tests with DRB) and find nothing. Replace the suspect LM last (because those can't go bad right) and to our pleasant surprise, vehicle runs normal again. Isn't it worth spending a little to see if this fixes a socketed LM?
    BTW -Never heard of a 640 chip in a stage II GLHS MP module except in Rob's files. Everyone I've ever seen is a 670 chip along with the 016 chip. Typo? Or are you calling chip ID one thing and LM part # another? To my knowledge there have been only two MP part #'s for 86/87 GLHS stage II modules. p5249054 which superseded to p5249670 in early 90's.
    Todd

We Todd D dot D Turbo Mopar Staff sdac guy's Avatar

Todd, you are correct on the part number ending in 670 for the LM package MP sold for the 86/87 GLHS Stage 2. But as often happens with the modules from back then, the part number on the box often is not the same as the number on the actual module. The part number on the box includes all the incidental crap Mopar sold with the module (box to hold it, an MP decal, and a reference guide).

What is in question here is the actual number printed on the chip, if any. While I don't know the origin of the 640 number that is referred to in the ECU data files here, I strongly suspect that is the correct file for the 670 box. I did open the binary file and found that the checksum identifier found in the first 4 hex digits was A640. Coincidence? Maybe.

I would gladly burn a chip for you but my burner is currently on loan to a buddy and I don't have access to it, and probably won't for some time.

Hope this helps.

Barry

I have burnt several chips for Todd just need to throw them in a package
    Regards,
    Miles

Great news... Todd's friend Allen sent me a message that his car is now working "scary fast" when he changed to the chips I burnt for him.
    Bad original eprom ? Maybe or perhaps a poor electrical contact with the chip/socket. The take way here is try to change the EPROM before you toss away your ECU or at least reset the EPROM in its socket.
    Regards,
    Miles

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

I once helped a local guy (also one of Todd's friends who Todd had helped build the car) diagnose a performance issue on his 86 GLHS. It came down to the actual chip in the LM which had not been disturbed and had previously worked fine. We confirmed that a different LM solved all the issues, but in my curiosity we also swapped chips and the original LM worked fine as well with a different chip. The problem was that the car wouldn't idle properly unless i fed it a lower vac signal from the map than what the engine was actually running at. In other words, it was crazy lean at idle! It's possible that it would have been lean everywhere, but in this case the issue was bad enough that we never actually drove the car before fixing it. So i have run into this situation of an actual chip failing or becoming corrupted while sitting in a functional LM before. Just the one time, but hey, it happened.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

turbo addict

This now is the forth time I've seen a LM go bad pretty much overnight for no apparent reason. Three of them MP cals and one custom cal from FWDP. I now see the correlation. Todd touched it, breathed on it, or knew about it. Strongly considering changing my username or Avatar to Schleprock...
    THANKS SO MUCH MILES for helping Allen get his GLHS back to running like it should again.
    Todd

Mitsu booster

Never thought of it like that Todd... Now that you mention it thats when it went bad after taking to you... Seriously, I cannot thank you enough for helping me get the problem solved and to Miles for burning the chips and sending them to me.. The car with the "Slow" power curve/stock computer made the car boring.. With the 46 trim stage 2 turbo, the boost came on strong about 5 minutes after I nailed it..... It makes me act like an outa control teenager, (at 58) again wanting to feel the 21 psi pulling like a freight train, and the skating across lanes in third gear at 50mph.... Again, Thank you Todd and Miles !!!! I promise to "never" grow up..

Allen... Not useless, can be used as a bad example !!!

Glad I could help
    Regards,
    Miles

boostaholic

I think there's going to be a whole lot more people looking to have cals burned, me included.

Quote Originally Posted by Keito View Post
    I think there's going to be a whole lot more people looking to have cals burned, me included.
    I am willing to burn existing cals but very little experience with Turbonator. Sure I can change injector size and other minor items but no more at this point.
    Regards,
    Miles

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

There is something in the works that will probably become public in the near future that may apply to you.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

boostaholic

I'm same boat as chromguy. Haven't had time to play around.
    MinivanRider

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    There is something in the works that will probably become public in the near future that may apply to you.
    x2
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    Tutorial?

Great news, Allen sent me a PM saying how great his car is now working after installing the EPROM I burnt for him. He stated the car works better than it ever did!
    Must be the special Canadian burning process...LOL
    Regards,
    Miles