Thread: Fuel cell in P body

Fuel cell in P body

Anyone have pics of how they mounted a fuel cell in their Shadow or Sundance? Have some ideas for mine but would like to see what others have done before the cutting wheel comes out.

Thanks,
    Pat

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: Fuel cell in P body

Have you looked back at the sump DJ glued to his tank? I'll probably go a similar route if I have to do something with the gas tank.

I thought about a sump. Even mocked one up in the bottom of my tank, but was concerned about how low it sat. I'll look through DJ 's build thread again to see exactly what he did.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    I thought about a sump. Even mocked one up in the bottom of my tank, but was concerned about how low it sat. I'll look through DJ 's build thread again to see exactly what he did.
    With what he told me about the properties of the product he used, I think it's safe to say that it has opened possibilities heretofore unimaginable. With your fab skills (heck- maybe even mine) you could make something to direct the gas and glue it up while not being super low.

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

In for seeing what you come up with if you do a sump.
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Question, why are you going to a fuel cell?

Considering a cell for a few reasons: weight, ability to easily drain fuel to switch between pump and race gas, simplicity (vs. a two pump system or a surge tank system) and more options for pumps. Current intank pump options are limited for high flow, high pressure set ups capable of delivering the fuel volume I am going to need at full boogie. I'm already at a calculated 380-390 whp at 18 psi on pump gas with conservative timing curve. I have full intention of pushing this thing much, much harder both with boost and timing with race fuel.

Currently have an aeromotive 340, which likely will supply the fuel that I need, but has it's drawbacks given there is a prime hole in the body that is ideally set up for a car that has the pump positioned vertically. The way our stock carriers angle the pump, it leaves the pump prone to pressure drop/prime issues on launch at anything below 1/2 tank, which is a pain in the --- if I'm trying to run race gas.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Subscribed so Pat can figure this out and I can copy it.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Well pumps seem to have moved well beyond 340lph if needed, and I would rather run a series pump anyways. Heck, everybody runs twin pumps in the tank before they get to the series pumps.

I am using the stock straps bolted through the replacement flat floor and then to the crossmember. My cell is annoying. Foam accomplishes nothing. Run the 12 gallon low (1/4" and you suck air on the brakes). No trap doors at this point but seems like polysulfied sealant that has been around for generations can take care of anything you want in the fuel cell.

Only pictures I had are on the old junky imageshack website. Hard drive waiting for resurrection. Looks like imageshack killed everything trying to force paid accounts.
    Last edited by Ondonti; 01-10-2017 at 12:51 AM.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Invisible Turbo Mopar Contributor mcsvt's Avatar

My Sundance just has the cube bolted in the trunk and I think the pump (still just a 255) horizontally below the trunk. There is a nice AL panel in place of the back seats. I could get a picture next time I'm in NJ but you'll probably be done by then with how fast you do everything.
    -Gary Mazzone-
    1986 GLHS #168

Garrett booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by mcsvt View Post
    My Sundance just has the cube bolted in the trunk and I think the pump (still just a 255) horizontally below the trunk. There is a nice AL panel in place of the back seats. I could get a picture next time I'm in NJ but you'll probably be done by then with how fast you do everything.
    Gary, is it running 11's yet?

Invisible Turbo Mopar Contributor mcsvt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dan H View Post
    Gary, is it running 11's yet?
    Nearly 11 years, yup!
    -Gary Mazzone-
    1986 GLHS #168

turbo addict

I have a plate that spans the entire trunk area and the tank is bolted to that with a 1/4" air gap. Can get pics tomorrow if you want to see.

Quote Originally Posted by shadow88 View Post
    I have a plate that spans the entire trunk area and the tank is bolted to that with a 1/4" air gap. Can get pics tomorrow if you want to see.
    Pics would be great. Thanks!

Pat, did you every do this yet???

No, I haven't. Debating a cell or a surge tank.

Garrett booster

Car is still in the shop, but this is what I did:

Made a cover for the spare tire well, and a 3" raised box centered in that. Cut out well, welded on my cover/box and boom. Not a small cell, I believe it's 15 or 16 gallon.