Thread: Chrysler 3.3/3.8 Performance and Info

Threaded View

Garrett booster

Chrysler 3.3/3.8 Performance and Info

Hey all, I have something similar posted over on the other forums, but there hasn't been much activity around there lately. So I was hoping there might be more discussion on this forum, as it seems to be more active.

This is just a list of things that I’ve compiled in regards to the 3.3/3.8 engine family, including; performance parts, mods, projects, and swaps.

I’m hoping to spark some discussion on these engines because they’re so cheap, reliable, easy to maintain, and they’re literally everywhere. I’m sure there isn’t a junkyard on this earth that doesn’t have a 3.3L. So it’d be a really cheap thing to swap into a car.

General Information:

Performance Parts:

• Crower Cam’s Valve Springs

Discussion | Summit Racing Page

• ARP Bolts

Here is a thread for a lot of ARP info, but the Chrysler 2.2/2.5L engines also share the same headbolts as the 3.3/3.8 family, which I confirmed here, which means ARP head studs and bolts are also available for the pre-2001 heads

• Lifters

If you look up the part numbers, the 3.3/3.8 share the same lifters as the Dodge Magnum engines such as the 3.9, 5.2, and 5.9. There are performance lifters available that should work, but probably wouldn’t see much benefit.

• Pistons and Rods

• Ross Pistons sells different kinds of pistons for the 3.3 but I’m not sure on the pricing.
      • The Chrysler 3.5L has a fully forged rotating assembly and uses the stroke of a 3.3L and the bore of a 3.8L, so in theory, you could use a set provided that you use a 3.8L crankshaft

• Windage Tray

Since the 3.3/3.5/3.8 are all in the same family, the 3.5L oil pan windage tray is an easy bolt-on that may increase reliability and performance.

Boosted Applications:

Engine Swaps:

It should be pretty easy to swap any existing 3.3L car with the torquey 3.8L without much trouble, but it’s also possible to swap either engine into other cars because of it’s small size. Being an OHV V6, it takes up about as much room as the 2.2/2.5 with a turbo. Some of these are duplicates of the above list.

Transmission:

There seems to be a few transmission options for this engine

Stroker Motors:

Since the 3.3/3.5/3.8 all share the same platform, it’s very easy to swap rotating assemblies between each other (3.5 requires machine work, but is a fully forged crank). Making a ~3.5L stroker motor does decrease the compression to around ~8:1, ready for boost!

Here’s also a pretty cool video of a 3.3L with ITB

So a cool no holds barred build would probably go as follows:

• 3.3L Block
    • 3.8L Crank
    • 3.5L Pistons
    • 3.5L Rods
    • Late 3.8L camshaft (or custom turbo cam)
    • P&P Heads
    • Larger Valves
    • Dual Valve Springs
    • Performance Lifters
    • HY35 Turbo
    • E85

That’d probably make some pretty decent power.

There isn’t a lot of information on these engines regarding performance, but this is what I’ve found so far. If you see that I missed anything or have any information that you think would be helpful to add, just let me know! Also feel free to ask any questions! I’d be happy to answer!
    Last edited by WarlockSyno; 01-07-2017 at 05:36 PM.