Thread: 1993 acclaim 2.5 alternator issues.. please help

Mitsu booster

1993 acclaim 2.5 alternator issues.. please help

hey everyone...

i have searched and searched on the forum before posting this but i couldn't seem to find an exact answer.

i have a 1993 acclaim 2.5 and for some reason i cant seem to get the alternator belt to stop squealing.
    it hasn't thrown a belt off it but i cant get the belt to stop making noise.

at first i changed the belt... no luck.
    tried tightening it and also loosening it.
    tried cleaning the pulleys and sanding the glaze off of them.

then tried messing with the washers and spacers on the brackets which hurt me in the long run because now i do not remember what the sequence of the washers and bushings are.

i also got a set of poly bushings from polybushings.com and put them on but im still getting the squealing.

another odd thing is i seem to be almost at the end of the alternator adjustment. as if it wont go any tighter.... could it be that there is more than 1 size for a stock alternator belt on a 2.5?

before i try a shorter belt i was wondering if someone could tell me the sequence of washers and bushings and spacers so i can rule that out.

car is a 93 2.5 with a/c and power steering if that helps.

thanks

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: 1993 acclaim 2.5 alternator issues.. please help

Have you tried another belt? Sometimes belt dressing help as well
    Here is a link to help you with you washers/bushings
    http://www.glmwpg.com/ServiceManuals/
    Do you have a FSM? As a TM owner it is a valuable resource
    Regards,
    Miles

DD '87 Sundance T1, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432 2.5 CB TII, SLH

Mitsu booster

thank you so much for the manuals!

what do you mean by fsm? factory manuals?

and i have tried 2 new belts... also have used the dressing but nothing helped it seems.

i just find it weird that im out of adjustment on the alternator adjustment and yet the belt still doesnt seem tight enough.

another odd thing is that i notince the is the bushings in the mnount and a washer on the outside of each bushing on the outside of the mount but nothing really in between.

like with the alternator on and the top pivot bolt not fully tightened i am able to move the alternator left and right about a 1/4 inch. have most people found the the alternator should be closer to the passenger side or the drivers side of the car.

it just seems odd. im sure its something stupid but im pretty much out of ideas

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

yes FSM =factory service manuals. Oh BTW, I am from NS, Halifax area!!!!
    Could the noise be bad bushings/bearings in your Alternator? Does the noise pitch change with electrical load?
    I have not had any Alternator issues with my TM so hopefully someone else can add their two cents with possible issues.
    Regards,
    Miles

DD '87 Sundance T1, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432 2.5 CB TII, SLH

Mitsu booster

oh wow really? small world. do you still live in n.s?

i am in the halifax area.

and i am 100 percent sure its the belt slipping or miss alignment. i almost think that it doesnt have that metal sleeve spacer in between the alternator mounting tabs. so as im tightening the alternator pivot bolt it isnt putting the alternator in the right spot.

i could be wrong though.

and i know its the belt because when i spray wd 40 on the belt the squeel goes away. then comes back

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by adamjs View Post
    oh wow really? small world. do you still live in n.s?

i am in the halifax area.

and i am 100 percent sure its the belt slipping or miss alignment. i almost think that it doesnt have that metal sleeve spacer in between the alternator mounting tabs. so as im tightening the alternator pivot bolt it isnt putting the alternator in the right spot.

i could be wrong though.

and i know its the belt because when i spray wd 40 on the belt the squeel goes away. then comes back

If you can move the alternator back and forth between the mounting bushings, then you are missing a spacer. On all of my TM's, the alternator goes in tight betweent he bushings. That is probably your issue.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

I also had a 1993 Acclaim 2.5 with belt squealing issues.
    I finally fixed it with Poly Bushings, making sure alignment was spot on, cleaning the pulleys thoroughly and using a Gates belt. I have not had good luck with other brands. I'm sure NAPA brand would work just as well, as they are made my Gates.

Also... DO NOT use belt dressing. Belt dressing just temporarily quiets the noise, it does not stop the slipping. Once the belt slips enough, it becomes glazed and will be more prone to slip no matter what. Belt dressing is a lubricant. So spraying it on your belts is like spraying oil on your tires in the hopes of reducing wheel spin. If I get a slightly chirping belt, I put a little toothpaste on it. It is sticky and slightly abrasive, so it will enhance the grip, not mask the sound. And it leaves your engine compartment minty fresh.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

You might inspect the "teardrop" shaped mount under the alternator that is part of the tensioner assembly. The rubber inside that mount degrades and causes issues with alignment.
    Polybushings makes a replacement, and there is a solid mount replacement available also. I think the solid mount is from Rich Bryant.
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

+1 for checking the mount and the bushings. I need to do the same on my NYer. It's squealing when it's cold outside.

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

The rbryant solid mount can be found here:
    http://rbryant.freeshell.org/misc_products.htm
    I've got these on all my 8v cars. As Rich mentions the thin washer placement is critcal to proper alignment. Without it, or positioned on the wrong side you will develop belt squeak.
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

turbo addict

Yes we have replacement parts.
    Make sure your bushings are in good shape.
    But also working on these cars I found if the adjustment doesn't take up the slack, just ask for a slightly shorter belt.

http://polybushings.com/pages/altbushings.html

http://polybushings.com/pages/altIsolator.html
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com