Thread: 86 GLH power problem( car is bogging down) 86 GLH

Garrett booster

86 GLH power problem( car is bogging down) 86 GLH

power problem( car is bogging down) 86 GLH
    Car has a lack of throttle response almost like an extreme boost lag. it sounds like it has an exhaust leak but it doesnt. my exhaust is a glass pack turned out the side. car has a flapping noise at high rpm while driving. sound is like taking a playing card in a bike wheel. car lacks power upon takeoff and at high rpm. spark is good fuel pressure is there. compression is 1. 130 2. 135 3. 140 4. 140. plugs look ok. vacuum is correct.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

Re: 86 GLH power problem( car is bogging down) 86 GLH

Are you sure cam and ignition timing are correct. Can you easilly get to the turbo? can't remember if yours has a one piece intake, and check the turbo for excessive play. It could be your turbo is kaput.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Garrett booster

we checked the cam timing at eye level when the motor was out and it seemed fine. everything i read on here points to the belt 1 tooth off. i think i can change the teeth by taking the cam sprocket off and moving it one tooth back and then do it again 1 tooth forward from where i have it now. we are going to try it tommorrow. with the motor out i reached in to see if the turbo spun correctly. it seemed to. i moved it up and down to see if it hit the housing and it didnt. why do u suspect a bad turbo.? it does boost up to 10psi. it seems like its running on 2 cylinders. all cylinders get fire. The engine came out of my blue omni and had massive gas in the oil but was never run long like that. the bearings did need to be replaced so i turned the crank and put the motor in my black omni. the black car ran fine before this but had a rod knock. the blue one ran rich but never sounded like this. we never have figured out why the blue one ran so rich and oured gas in the oilyou and i discussed that before but never figured it out.

Garrett booster

My Tona -89 2,2 Shelby started to loose power the other day. It runs great up to 4000 rpm´s but feel´s like extreme turbo-lag when I floor it or even try to accelerate. In first and second it´s possible to get it up to 5-5500 rpm´s but in higher gears it feels like the exhaust is plugged or???

I was thinking maybe it jumped the timing-belt but today I took it for a rather long run ( like 250 km) and when returning to home it had problems going over 3000 rpm so it feel´s like it´s getting worse. This doesn´t sound to me like a jumped belt and there´s no smoke, plugs looks just fine and throttle-body´s been cleaned-out this week so....the airfilter´s ok aswell....

I´ve looked in to the distributor and everything seems ok there as well but, cause the problem seems to increase, maybe it is the cat that´s plugged.. what do you think ??

Idle is perfect and low-rev´s fine but when you push the accelerater it feels limited, bad fuel-pressure, timings off or ???..hope you get the picture :-)

Garrett booster

the post above sounds similar to mine. my problems hasnt gotyten worse. its like something plugged the exhaust or its runnin on 2 cylinders. the engine doesnt rev right away it sounds like this .....!!!!!!!!!!!! starting off weak and then getting higher. it has half the power it should have

Garrett booster

we used your method to time it. set the flywheel to zero and set the distributor cap to #1. took the cam sproket off to move the timing one tooth forward and then one backward. we marked the belt for reference to where it was to begin with. The marking of the belt is what helped. we found that the belt had slipped 8 teeth back from its original postion. i was surprised the car was running at all. we reset the belt and marked the exact top dead center mark. the hole at the top of the cam gear will now line up with a scratch mark on the valve cover for an exact reference. car is still lacking power but that is due to running off of the battery only i think. the voltage regualtor is not working or something. the car is not charging for some reason. funny it was when the motor was taken out. we'll work on that tonight.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

Awesome, glad to hear,
    Make sure to recheck ignition timing with a timing light when done.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

LOL...I have gotten in the habit of checking cam timing very early on whenever some kind of power-stealing change has suddenly happened. I can get the cam and ignition verified in about 10 minutes now.