Thread: 2.2 Crankshaft Questions.

Mitsu booster

2.2 Crankshaft Questions.

Are Crankshafts used in the standard 2.2's different than ones in automatics? I havent been able to find a difinitive answer on specs.
    Primarily concerned for the pilot bearing area vs flexplate/torque converter, and if I can use a donor 2.2 auto crank in my standard build.

Thanks!

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: 2.2 Crankshaft Questions.

Quote Originally Posted by AluminumPeanut View Post
    Are Crankshafts used in the standard 2.2's different than ones in automatics? I havent been able to find a difinitive answer on specs.
    Primarily concerned for the pilot bearing area vs flexplate/torque converter, and if I can use a donor 2.2 auto crank in my standard build.

Thanks!

No. I'm sure what you are thinking about is how a traditional manual trans vehicle has a pilot bushing in the end of the crank to support the input shaft of the trans. Our cars don't use a pilot bushing, so they are all the same.

The lone exception being the TII cars, which are forged cranks instead of cast, but they work the same.

Mitsu booster

Perfect! Guess I would have found out eventually when I do it, but I'd rather be prepared.
    Thanks for the reply.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Now, one item you do need to be aware of is a common block motor vs a non-common block. The cranks do not interchange between those. Easiest way to tell, if you have the complete motor, is look for the fuel pump boss to the left of the oil filter. If it has one, it's a non-common block, if it doesn't, it's a common block. 87 & earlier are non-common block, 88+ are common block.

Mitsu booster

Based on those numbers, both should be non-common. I'll be sure to check though. Thank you, this is great info.

turbo addict

85 and older used 6 flywheel bolts
    86 and newer used 8

so your flywheel has to match the crank

and turbo clutch has a larger diameter than a non turbo clutch (both plate and disc)

Quote Originally Posted by 83scamp View Post
    Now, one item you do need to be aware of is a common block motor vs a non-common block. The cranks do not interchange between those. Easiest way to tell, if you have the complete motor, is look for the fuel pump boss to the left of the oil filter. If it has one, it's a non-common block, if it doesn't, it's a common block. 87 & earlier are non-common block, 88+ are common block.
    I'm running a common block crank in an 86 2.2 block.
    had to make my own front seal by putting the small common block front seal center into the big 86 block front seal outer. Glued together with 3M window weld. Adjustable cam gear to take care of the (6 degree?) timing issue.