Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Minivan fuel issues (tank baffles/ jet pump/reservoir /94 style pump hanger walbro 25

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor GLHS60's Avatar

Re: Minivan fuel issues (tank baffles/ jet pump/reservoir /94 style pump hanger walbr

Wayne, have you considered running the Spectra TBI pump in tank and the 255 external??

I believe Vigo runs an intank TBI without the jet and 255 external, but he would have to verify.

If so, you would get the benefit of the Spectra jet action in the tank to leisurely feed the external high pressure 255.

Its late, what am I missing??

Thanks
    Randy

There is no logical reason to call an Engine a motor.

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    86 GLHS 373 : SOLD, but never forgotten
    89 Turbo Minivan
    83 Turbo Rampage : SOLD
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Re: Minivan fuel issues (tank baffles/ jet pump/reservoir /94 style pump hanger walbr

I guess that is possible. Slug still uses two fuel pumps, but the seconday only comes on with higher boost, to ensure enough fuel volume under the demands of higher boost pressure.
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

The question is, will the TBI pump supply the volume.

Not sure if Vigo uses a TBI pump to supply his external 255 or not.

For some reason I thought this had been done, hopefully someone knows for sure.

Sure is a great day for the USA!!!

Thanks
    Randy

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    89 Turbo Minivan
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

I haven't run a tbi pump in line with a better pump, but i do believe it would work just fine. However, i would be surprised if there were actually a tbi-specific pump module by that time, and if it's the same as the v6 pump it's pretty well established that the v6 pumps in all of these cars are equivalent to what came with the turbo engines. So theres a possibility that any 'pump module' you could get for a later van would be equivalent to a stock turbo pump anyway.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Right, I was thinking of 1989 TBI pumps, Wayne's 1994 replacement pump should work for a normal Turbo Mini.

As fine as a Spectra pump might be reliability wise?? Should be fine supply wise to an external 255.

It would be cool to verify the jet cures the low fuel launch issue !!

What was it Clint Eastwood that said, "do you feel lucky today Wayne"??

You have the parts on hand right??

Thanks
    Randy

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    89 Turbo Minivan
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

I never really feel very lucky Randy! That's why now in my mid 40's i would rather only have to do things once. I already kick myself for not realizing about the no tank baffle and having to address this.
    My walbro 255 is an in-tank unit, so i don't know what's needed to try and use it external, or if i would need a new pump.
    Wayne H.

'89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw

Garrett booster

Im a little late to this discussion, but have you considered this instead of getting a sump built into the tank: http://www.jegs.com/p/Holley/Holley-...95943/10002/-1 Just pipe this to the Walbro or run an external pump.

Quote Originally Posted by 83rampage View Post
    Im a little late to this discussion, but have you considered this instead of getting a sump built into the tank: http://www.jegs.com/p/Holley/Holley-...95943/10002/-1 Just pipe this to the Walbro or run an external pump.
    That product looks like another good solution. It is pricey, but it may be worth it for simplicity.
    Wayne H.

Garrett booster

Yeah I hear you on the price.

Here is the baffle in the Dorman replacement tank.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1485148883145.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	53.9 KB 
ID:	60038
    Its basically a bowl with a hole in the bottom welded to the bottom of the tank (and raised up just slightly from the bottom of the tank).

I'm considering the Hydramat mounted inside this. Or, trying to use that reservoir plastic pump housing to try and keep enough fuel to prevent air from entering pump.
    Wayne H.

I feel like between that pump and baffle (assuming theyre physically compatible) you should have no fuel problems anymore. In fact, given that you have a secondary fuel pump already, i would just install the pump module you have as-is and run it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    I feel like between that pump and baffle (assuming theyre physically compatible) you should have no fuel problems anymore. In fact, given that you have a secondary fuel pump already, i would just install the pump module you have as-is and run it.
    I think there may have been some confusing statements.
    Current install has just one in-tank walbro 225lph (HP) installed in the unbaffled tank.
    The 94 van pump module i pictured i could never remove the actual pump to see if it could accomodate the walbro 255.
    You think i should install the stock type 94 pump module, then use a secondary external pump?

I wanted to try to stay with just a single pump setup.
    Wayne H.

You could verify the jet theory by just trying the new Spectra assembly as is.

That is what I would do, then if the launch issue is acceptable run the 255 external like I believe Vigo does.

At this point very cost effective!!

Thanks
    Randy

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    89 Turbo Minivan
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

I really can't even try a test like that. That Spectra module is only like 175 lph.
    Wayne H.

I would just swap it in, leave the secondary pump working as it already does, and see if there are any issues with fuel flow. I highly doubt there will be. The second pump in series takes almost all the load of making pressure off the first pump, which means it can push a larger volume of fuel against that lower resistance.

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    I would just swap it in, leave the secondary pump working as it already does, and see if there are any issues with fuel flow. I highly doubt there will be. The second pump in series takes almost all the load of making pressure off the first pump, which means it can push a larger volume of fuel against that lower resistance.
    I think the confusion is i only have one pump installed.
    Mini does not have a secondary pump.

So, if having a two pump setup is the recommedation, my walbro 255 is an in-tank pump, i probably need to get an in-line 255lph pump instead? Or, try to cobble conversion fittings together?
    Also i'll have to figure a mount and location, as well as how to wire.
    Using the existing fuel pump wiring to drive two pumps might not be the best idea, but i could power a primary side of a relay with the same intank + wire. Then i need the relay secondary wires to the second (in-line) pump.
    Wayne H.

Oh, I dont know where i got that, then. Sorry!

I've done what you mentioned on my Spirit. I used the stock pump power wire to trigger a relay that took the actual pump power from my amp power wire which was right inside the spare tire well anyway. So i didn't have to run a larger power feed specifically for that purpose. On my Lancer i did run a new power wire for both the intank and external pumps. I triggered its relay off the coil positive terminal (which is the same ASD circuit that powers the fuel pump anyway).

If you are doing ok with one pump, i don't necessarily think adding another is the go-to solution. I guess i sort of brought it up by accident since i didn't understand the setup.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

I'm afraid I'll be running into the same issue. I am running a 340lph in tank pump using a SPI tank and hanger. I was able to get the SPI pump out of the hanger and side the Aeromotive pump in. So far its working on, but I am afraid what might happen on a hard launch with 1/4 tank of fuel.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Garrett booster

So if I understand this correctly:
    1. you have an unbaffled tank
    2. you have a walbro pump you have used and want to continue to use
    3. a 94 style pump assembly which you cannot change the pump and appears to need a baffled tank as well

Seems to me no matter what you need some way of trapping some fuel by the pump pickup in low tank situations.

I would just go simple and do 1 of 2 things:

1.Buy a baffled tank (Dorman 576013) for $117 from Rockauto (or whoever) and use the walbro as set up so it works with the baffle. The factory baffles seem kind of cheesy but they clearly work. I think using hydramat in a baffled tank is going to cause its own problems.

2. Use the hydra mat in your current unbaffled tank. Looks like there is a mat that may connect directly to your Walbro for $160 or adapt another hydramat if it doesnt for about the same money. Holley is a company with a good name and I'm sure hydramat works as advertised. This would be my choice

Use the 94 pump/sending unit as a paperweight (or sell it in the classifieds) since it appears to need a baffled tank anyway and cant be adapted to fit your Walbro.

I don't mean to spend your money but I've been down roads like this and trying to save a dollar usually costs more in the end (including frustration).
    Last edited by 83rampage; 01-24-2017 at 06:00 PM.

The module style pump assembly has many benefits, that's the heart of the discussion.

Pump modules are used instead of baffles, but how much better are they under hard launch conditions.

Thanks
    Randy

- - - Updated - - -

Is this on your L body Mike??

I don't think there is a module style for them although I would like to try one.

Thanks
    Randy

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    I'm afraid I'll be running into the same issue. I am running a 340lph in tank pump using a SPI tank and hanger. I was able to get the SPI pump out of the hanger and side the Aeromotive pump in. So far its working on, but I am afraid what might happen on a hard launch with 1/4 tank of fuel.

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    89 Turbo Minivan
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast