Thread: Clutch Tamer/screen door closer clutch slipper

turbo addict

Clutch Tamer/screen door closer clutch slipper

Looking to join the others in the 11 sec van club but trying with a manual transmission. I am worried about trans case and axle life with the heavy van (3000lbs). I heard about the clutch tamer while back but have not seen anyone on here use one. It is essentially a screen door cylinder and "slips" the clutch off the line. This website has some good reading http://grannys.tripod.com/clutchtamer.html.

Has anyone else thought of using one?

I am not worried about clutch wear but the website above explains that clutch wear may actually be reduced. Either way I am running an unsprung sintered iron dual diaphragm clutch.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

turbo addict

Re: Clutch Tamer/screen door closer clutch slipper

interesting. So you just side step the clutch and let the "tamer" do the rest?

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

If your van weighs 3k lbs, it's light lol. My Lebaron weighed 3300# w/ me in it, only time I had axle problems is when it wheel hopped.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Ive thought about using one but at this point i am going to just try a launch limiter and see how far i can get. I am getting jealous of those 1.8s and even 1.7s i see other vans have gotten.

You are flush with clutch tho, lol. DD plate AND sintered iron disc?! I wonder how 'slip friendly' that style of disc is in the first place.. would it chatter, or maybe tear the hell out of the flywheel surface on a slow release? I used a stock disc in mine on the theory that with enough clamp load it wouldnt slip, but i'd still have stock 'engagement' other than pedal stiffness. I'm really happy so far.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

turbo addict

Metal on the pressure plate would wear down before the flywheel. Ask me how I know.

turbo addict

I picked up the clutch for cheap off here so it wasn't really a choice. It does slip at higher rpm and thats pretty much how you have to drive it or it screams bloody murder and makes people think I'm spinning tires.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.