Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Red Baron

turbo addict

Re: Red Baron

Quote Originally Posted by spiro440 View Post
    Let you guys know that I have made significant progress!!

nice!
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor GLHS60's Avatar

Thanks guys. It does look good. Friday nights i sit in it nude with a beer and listen to ZZ top cassette. Lol!
    Flomax???

Thanks
    Randy

There is no logical reason to call an Engine a motor.

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    86 GLHS 373 : SOLD, but never forgotten
    89 Turbo Minivan
    83 Turbo Rampage : SOLD
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

Hybrid booster

Well I have been wipping around now for over 1000km's (600 miles). Everything is running strong. I detunned it down a little to 425whp/375tq. The car halls a$$! I was having crazy torque steer and started looking at all sorts of possibilities of it's cause. Can't shake the fact that some are running higher HP! Hold on for dear life . I was running without power steering hydraulics on a power rack!! I learned that that is a BIG no no. Never thought there would be back lash without hydraulic pressure. Anyways, I installed an electric unit from a Volvo. I've been on it for a week and it reduced torque steer a lot... but still uneassy at times. I will look into beefing up the control arms and getting equal lenght shafts made. But If you are running high HP, feel free to chime in on the way it drives at full boost.
    Anyhow, the EHPAS system was very easy to install and I think it's worth it. It frees up the little space we have in the L-bodies.

Installation of Volvo Electric power steering pump:
    - I got the pump from the pick and pull for 40$ off a V50. There are other models that have it S40, C30 and probably others. I just walked around and picked one with a remote reservoir. There are some with a reservoir with cap which could be used as well. Make sure to take the connectors and harness (as log as possible. I took all the way to the firewall). You must take the support that comes with it. The isolator mounts will reduce noise and the support can be easily adapted to fit(cutting up and welding). And get part of the high pressure hose. You will need the fitting. (see below)

- Located the pump where the charcoal canister is (was!)

- There is a large connector and small connector. Large is power (live) and ground. And the small has 3 wires. You will need only to hook up the grey to a 12v signal (ignition on) this will send the signal to a built in relay within the pump..wait 3-4 secounds and the pump turns on. (No VSS required)

- The pump draws 80amps at full load(not official. Just what I have red on a few forums). You will have to wire that in. I am running a 70 amp fuse for testing system. Haven't blown it yet. But it's still in trial mode.

- The lines I picked up from a PT cruiser GT. They Almost fit. It srews into our steering rack and is routed like the pt itself. The fitting on the preesure side of the volvo pump is a bit deeper and the PT cruiser wont sit properly. I cut and spliced the volvo fitting onto the line. That was the only difference. I'm sure I could of made a cleaner install if I had known.
    Of course you can fabricate your own if you want. Since I have the 2.4, it was obvious to try the PT lines. The're all in line in the yard just waiting!

I can't seem to post pics tonight. I'll try again tomorrow and Edit the post.

turbo addict

I thought my GLH's engine bay is tight. Good job.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Thanks for that writeup about the pump. That's a lot of amps at full load. That and the headlight system in my Newyorker would be enough to tax one of the 120 amp alternators to the max rating. Yikes.

...if you know what I mean... Turbo Mopar Contributor csxtra's Avatar

Spiro,

First of all, awesome build and thanks for sharing it all with us!

I am looking at retrofitting one of the Volvo EHPS pumps into my CSX mounted in the charcoal canister position also. Just in case you want do do a braided high pressure power steering line, the Russell 648060 fitting fits into the Volvo pump and adapts to a 6AN fitting, and the 648080 fitting is supposedly the correct fitting for the rack side (18mm x 1.5 O ring seal). The 648060 fitting has an extra long threaded section and the o-ring bottoms out in my pump before the hex contacts the housing, so it should seal well.

So how is the pump running at the default speed (without the CAN bus signals to speed it up)? I have heard that it is great for normal driving but doesn't provide enough flow for autocross or other quick steering situations. Have you noticed anything like that?

Warren
    Warren Hall
    "My Name is Warren and my car is an alcoholic..."
    OVC - SDAC "Our Sh*t Rolls!"
    Cincinnati, OH
    87 CSX # 741
    317WHP - 380 WFt-Lbs (STD-5)
    12.460 @ 113.2 - Race Gas + Methanol Injection
    12.749 @ 109.84 - 91 octane + Methanol Injection (Still tuning...)
    "Illegitimi non carborundum."
    -General Joseph Stillwell
    TD Runlogger Page Has Moved...

turbo addict

When I installed a Masi 16v in 86 GLHS I had a similar feeling. Referred to it as the deathmobile. That car had so much torque steer at high speeds it was more than a handful. Lean into throttle to WOT, I could not prevent it from changing multiple lanes! I pretty much was prying my fingers from the steering wheel at the end of each ride. In my case, getting the alignment spot on was the key to taming the torque steer. It never really went away completely, but it didn't feel like my life was in the balance each time it went to WOT. Putting slicks on the car tamed it down even more. Felt exactly like all the other FWD cars I've owned. Don't think you'll ever completely get rid of all the torque steer, but play around with some alignment, it helped me a bunch.
    Todd
    Last edited by 4 l-bodies; 05-21-2019 at 05:02 PM.

Hybrid booster

Been trying to upload pics. But can't. Don't know why it keeps failing

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Look at some of the tools you have in Tunerstudio to tame it down. Nobody likes to give up power, but you can't win a race if you're swapping lanes either.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Excellent work! Just came back to see it done.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234