Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Going away present

Hybrid booster

Going away present

All,
    Over the years, numerous versions of our engine code has evolved.
    This has occurred through the time and dedication of those with the knowledge to do so.
    Thanks to them, the communities ability to calibrate our cars has become easier than ever.

With this expressed, it may be time to take things to the next level.
    It may be time to offer uniquely identifiable code bases that ARE NOT intended for re-sale and it will be strongly discouraged and exposed, for those attempting to do so. If this occurs, I assure you - support will stop immediately.

"Stay Tuned"... an updated offering is underway, not as a calibration but a new workable foundation with numerous expanded features.
    These are NOT 'hi jacked' software versions but a compiled version as they once were 30 years ago.
    Timing has not yet been determined for 87-91 versions - please be patient but aware that something new is on the horizon.. as a going away present.

Enjoy !!
    Last edited by 5DIGITS; 11-14-2016 at 12:12 PM.

turbo addict

Re: Going away present

tag .. subscribed

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post
    tag .. subscribed
    ditto
    Regards,
    Miles

DD '87 Sundance T1, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432 2.5 CB TII, SLH

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

Very cool, thank you.
    Workable calibrations are what keep these cars relevant. Without them, they're just more old ---- boxes.

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

I don't understand the full gravity of this post, so I'm going to stayed tuned to learn!
    Thanks for everything you've done for us Mr. Ken, and for your specific help with MeanMini's knock threshold curve.
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

i'm in. christmas is coming soon i hope
    89 Voyager LE, 2.5T2 - rest in peace
    87 Charger Shelby T2 (2.4 conversion in process)

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	popcorn.gif 
Views:	180 
Size:	2.33 MB 
ID:	59642
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

Cool. Can't wait to see what's coming. :-)

turbo addict

We need more programmers!

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Sounds intriguing
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

turbo addict

Subbed! thanks for putting in work for the community
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Hybrid booster

Here's some back ground and how I've set things up for my own cars for years.

First... some history.
    Back in the 80's, Stu Davis (T-I & T-II), Kim Lyon (T-IV), Kerry Franks (T-III) and a few others were given a set of 6800 series assembly code books prior to a 1981 development trip. A directive came from upper management (Floyd Allen - known for supporting the FB head and cancelling the VNT due to the launch of the 2.5L turbo) which dictated "Know how to do this when you return - We are launching a computer controlled turbo in 1984".

Upon return, the 'know-how' was just enough to be dangerous but numerous questions remained.
    The controller team (known as the 'core software group') were already working on the foundation to what would be called... "A logic module".
    I have a few of the very first controllers and if the 'logic module' is a dinosaur - these are the preceding fossils.
    Anyway... by 1984 a non-closed loop boost control board had been born that utilized banked injection and a DC motor with a small planetary gear set to control idle.
    In 1985 the 27C64 had enough code along with module upgrades to accomplish adaptive boost control and things were well on their way.
    Although, the 'core software group' limited RAM space which included - boost adaptive cells, table size for spark, fuel and such due to limits within memory and processor loop time. 1986 saw the rise to a 'paged eprom' and an increase to a 27C128 by the model year end and the 1987 launch.
    Although, RAM and table size were still limited while diagnostics and OBD began to dictate and over-power precious memory and loop time.
    The 'core software group' then again were challenged with introducing a compressed controller that combined the logic module and the power module into one convenient location - the SMEC was born. After only two years of SMEC production, the core team released the SBEC with it's collage RAM and eventually 'flash' capability, known as the SBEC, SBEC-II and SBEC-IIa. In every growth from the 6802 to the 68HC16, the processor was further taxed with over-head including the introduction of 3D lookup tables.

With this, we fast forward to modern day and the current Turbo-Mopar offerings...
    Knowing the amount of processor over-head, I began testing the modules functional capability.
    This was done quite easily with an "I-box" (Interrogator Box) and a one-off adapter made to connect a Makita port grinding tool to a distributor.
    First - I tested the production code for the 1987 and then the 1990.
    The 1987 no longer properly calculated fuel/spark beyond 5400 - which means anything done to the spark and fuel curves beyond that RPM are never realized.... 1985 and 1986 are worse (4800rpm) - so lets move on.
    After this test, I moved to the 1990 SBEC which did better but notably cut-out at 5800RPM..

Please keep in mind, these tests are being performed on 'production' level code WITHOUT any JSR (jump to sub-routine) interruptions.
    Where the modified code of some incredibly intelligent individuals have yielded some very unique features, the use of JSR's inherently interrupt the normal program flow and add undesired 'out of order' time to process code that has been added within the expansion space of the "FF" area of the eprom.
    This is not at any fault or disrespect to those seeking to gain further control of the operating system - it was simply the only way to accomplish the task.. until now.

Entering modern day...
    Being the last person on the planet that's interested in and capable of compiling production level software, it all comes down to this.
    Provide a core level of software that people can work with that has not been altered in a way that adds to processor over-head but focuses on a more accurate means of calibrating - with the highest regard for controller accuracy that includes the features of modern day, without the expense of over taxing the system.

"Stay Tuned" ....

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

In for this history lesson.

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Sounds tantalizing!
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor mopar-tech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 5DIGITS View Post
    Back in the 80's, Stu Davis (T-I & T-II), Kim Lyon (T-IV), Kerry Franks (T-III) and a few others were given a set of 6800 series assembly code books prior to a 1981 development trip.
    Interesting story from one of your team members told to me- On the start of the trip to ... Florida I think it was... Stu Davis cracked open the book, by the time they made it their destination he was ready to start programming.

Working on clearing the decks.

Quote Originally Posted by 5DIGITS View Post
    Knowing the amount of processor over-head,
    (how did you measure this, i.e. what does this mean?)

1987 no longer properly calculated fuel/spark beyond 5400
    (how were you able to determine this?)

these tests are being performed on 'production' level code WITHOUT any JSR (jump to sub-routine) interruptions.
    (i don't necessarily understand why a JSR is a bad thing? are you referring to routines that are not required to run the engine (e.g. the obd stuff?)

not being critical at all. just trying to learn and understand from the best. what a great commentary. btw, what does the I-box provide that the drb/otc/etc devices can't do?
    89 Voyager LE, 2.5T2 - rest in peace
    87 Charger Shelby T2 (2.4 conversion in process)

Will this software be compatible with Windows 95 or Windows Surface?
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

turbo addict

I'm not big on the programming side of this, but what I want to know is, Where are you going? You ok?

turbo addict

Going away present

Going to???
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

I'm sure a woman is involved...
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast