Thread: Mild 2.5 build suggestions

Mitsu booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Mild 2.5 build suggestions

I'm starting to tear into my 90 2.5 turbo 1 motor and am looking for some suggestions on a mild build, this motor is staying with my 90 es Daytona as a drag project with a a413 transmission. So far I have +40 injectors, a large fmic, Garret turbo with 2.5 inch swing valve, afpr and a Bosch 044 fuel pump. Getting a stage 5 fwdp 3 bar cal and looking for some advice on what else to help performance out. Motors coming apart and head studs are going in, balance shafts are coming out and some manifold and head porting are going to happen but not planning on boring or replacing pistons yet, not trying to make over 300 hp but would like to be somewhere in the mid 200's, any advice is appreciated, thanks Brandon.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: Mild 2.5 build suggestions

250HP should be pretty easy. A heavily ported exhaust manifold with a ported 2.5"SV or larger with 3" exhaust and a straight though muffler is where I always start. The FMIC and ported head/intake manifold will make it super easy to hit those numbers at 18 or so PSI if I had to guess.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

According to calculators and the ol' butt dyno, I made around 250whp on a very similar setup . I can probably set you up with a good cal You'll have to go 3-bar to get that much though.
    Last edited by Force Fed Mopar; 11-13-2016 at 10:05 AM.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

I would like to be able to tune the car myself but I need to do more research before I dive into that.

If you have a socketed computer, a chip burner and a chip, I can get you going. I tweaked my cal over 4 years of daily use, I ran up to 25 psi on it and averaged 25+ mpg, could get 34mpg if I babied it but that's basically not ever getting into it more than 5-10 psi at part throttle... ie no fun at all lol. Main difference is I had forged pistons and a AWIC instead of a FMIC. And always, always run 93 oct, if you have it.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

I've got a few extra sbec's but there all still stock, my friend has an ostrich I can use so I just need to get one of my sbec's socketed or do it myself, then I'll get ahold of you. Weren't you talking about taking over boost button? I was planning on having him socket my sbec and get the cables for mp tuner but looks like he's calling it quits.

Quote Originally Posted by BeeZnutZ1979 View Post
    I've got a few extra sbec's but there all still stock, my friend has an ostrich I can use so I just need to get one of my sbec's socketed or do it myself, then I'll get ahold of you. Weren't you talking about taking over boost button? I was planning on having him socket my sbec and get the cables for mp tuner but looks like he's calling it quits.
    I was looking at it, but he's got several other interested parties also. Basically I told him if the others don't get it, to let me know.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC