Thread: Cylinder head porting questions

Mitsu booster

Cylinder head porting questions

Hi guys, I'm looking for pointers or anything I should know specifically applicable to porting our cylinder head. The headgasket on my 95 Dakota has been seeping at the edges for awhile now, and I blasted a deer at 65 mph a few days ago (more like ran it over). It cracked my oil pan, so it can't wait now. I have a full gasket set so I've been planning on some work, but figured since I'll have the head off I would try to improve the flow a little. I've ported heads before, and I'm aware that most 4 cylinders usually benefit from intake velocity rather than just straight mass of air getting in. This is an N/A engine, but I'm building my turbo 2.5 engine up as soon as possible too, so I will use this as some practice.
    Should I just remove some material at the bottom of the intake ports, kinda drop the floor a hair, and leave it at that? Or approach it differently? Leave exhaust port alone? Obviously I'm cleaning everything up. I'm more interested in low to mid range power than high.
    The 2.5 turbo is going in the Town & Country eventually, but this will be a slower agenda. Still want to port that head a bit too. I need the Dakota on the road foremost it's my work truck, and can use it for gaining experience.
    I will appreciate any tips from anyone who has done port work on the 2.2/2.5 head. And of course I will do some research of my own.
    Thank you

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

turbo addict

Re: Cylinder head porting questions

Use the search tool lots of information already posted on both forums. But I do know that they say that you don't lower the floor, some guys even raise it with epoxy to increase flow velocity. The exhaust ones are Ported but keep them slightly smaller than the exhaust manifold. But the exhaust flow is very important for turbo motors some say porting the exhaust manifold is up there for one of the first things to do for power

turbo addict

But I do know that they say that you don't lower the floor, some guys even raise it with epoxy to increase flow velocity. The exhaust ones are Ported but keep them slightly smaller than the exhaust manifold. But the exhaust flow is very important for turbo motors some say porting the exhaust manifold is up there for one of the first things to do for power
    ^+1

there is a few other tricks also, you still want to keep the "swirl" effect in the port that's next to the valve guide, and a slight bit of valve deshrouding helps flow, but may reduce your compression (good for turbo, maybe not so much if your staying n/a on your truck)

and you can prob machine a little more than usual off the head sealing surface to increase compression if you deshroud valves, and or help with n/a performance a bit.

there is some pics floating around of a 782 head that has been sliced in half both directions to see where gains can be had and where coolant passages are

Hybrid booster

I agree - the floor should not be lowered, as it increases the demand for the air to turn the short side corner - this makes turbulence and generates flow loss.
    This is why the 655 was done away with !

A small amount of swirl reduction is desired by opening up the bowl area, on the long side of the intake port.
    Additionally, width is KEY...

In short, leave the floor alone, widen as desired and reduce swirl (the 2.2/2.5 FB head is better at splashing fuel on the cylinder wall than generating good distribution, when left with all of the swirl characteristics) on the intake side.

On the exhaust, widen - widen -widen and arc the long side turn.
    A production casting will support 200CFM on the exhaust side, when they are done right.