Thread: Axle combo

Garrett booster

Axle combo

I currently have the 525 tranny in my 85 Shelby charger and am lookin at getting my 89 555 rebuilt and throwin in the car. My question is what axle combo can I use that would be an upgrade and eliminate the u-joint and extension shaft that is in the car already? also I would prefer that those same replacement axles bolt rite up to the 555 tranny. I don't know if the spline counts on the tranny ends would be the same or not.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: Axle combo

88+ auto trans Omni axles.

Garrett booster

I assume that means driver and passenger side? and will these axles be able to handle up to 400 whp on a daily driver/occasional strip use car?

Correct. Just the driver and passenger sides will work. I always go with the long passenger side axle on all my cars. Less potential for catastrophic failure and I notice no difference in torque steer. 400HP in a daily driver, no problem IMO. At the track you'll break them if you hook hard IMO. Some guys just squeeze in the dynasty axles, but I've never tried that personally. I think they wouldn't work well at all in a lowered car but I can't speak to that for sure.

turbo addict

400 whp? What engine are you planing? SRT4?

Garrett booster

yes I am going to be using the srt4 engine. I guess I forgot to include that info earlier.

Garrett booster

You said about the dynasty axles. Now are they a lot beefier and stronger than the Omni axles? And are they a direct bolt in or do they have to be cut down and re splined or what? And when you say about them not working well in a lowered car, what makes you say that?

I've read that some guys just squeeze them in. They are more stout for sure. I say that they may be an issue when lowered as they are more compressed when the A arms are pushed up some relative to the body.

turbo addict

Depends on how much negative camber your going to be running on whether they will fit or not. Dynasty axles will probably fit if your going to run little to no negative camber, or positive camber. If your going to run -1.0 to -2.0 negative camber so your vehicle actually works driving it around corners, then your going to have problems making the slightly longer axles fit. You can check this easily by checking axle joint compression when vehicle is at ride height on the ground. IMO, proceed with caution using Dynasty axles in a lowered car set up to go around corners.
    Todd

Garrett booster

so pretty much if I only lower it 1.5 inches-2 inches do you guys think that they will be an issue? If so do you have any other recommendations for what axles would be good to use for an occasional drag strip car. I know that you had said auto Omni axles would be stronger but have the potential for failure.

Garrett booster

It probably wont be set up to go around corners or anything crazy like that. I just want a nice good weather driver that I can take to the strip here and there and just enjoy.

- - - Updated - - -

O and one more thing, Are any year dynasty axles ok to use or is 1 year better than another?

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by moparguy85 View Post
    It probably wont be set up to go around corners or anything crazy like that. I just want a nice good weather driver that I can take to the strip here and there and just enjoy.

- - - Updated - - -

O and one more thing, Are any year dynasty axles ok to use or is 1 year better than another?

You're only going to get the stronger axles if you find OEM axles in a yard. I looked up Dynasty axles online at Rock Auto and a couple other places, and they show the same cross as my Daytona. So if you buy reman, or aftermarket axles, they won't be any better than the 88+ Omni axles.

Personally, I'd just go with what we know fits. IF it's only going to see occasional abuse, you should be fine. The hard core drag racing guys are even breaking DSS axles, and they are $800!!! But they run drag slicks, and are pounding 500 hp to the ground as well...

Unless you are running slicks and big boost, I wouldn't worry about it...

Garrett booster

well thanks for the info everyone. Now I have some direction and food for thought. Ya id say maybe 6-10 times a year roughly it would see the track