Thread: Homemade starter wrap

Hybrid booster

Homemade starter wrap

Guys,
    I made a wrap for my starter when I did the transmission on my van. I simply wrapped the starter all the way around with that 3in wide 3/4in thick fiberglass pipe wrap from the hardware store. It has a vinyl back. So I decided I should wrap that over again with aluminum tape. Does this sound ok and safe? I drove it for two weeks before it broke down again with no problems, or fires I just figured I would share, because it works well and cost me less then $10. I still have enough to do 2 more starters. So 3 starters worth of wrap for $10. Thats the TD way!

boostaholic

Re: Homemade starter wrap

The fiberglass could get oil soaked if you have a leak.Show us some pics to see how it looks.

boostaholic

I did basicly the same thing you did about 6 mos. ago, no problem so far. But I also covered that with a metal heat sheild.

Hybrid booster

O there is a leak back there...lol. I have to pull the tranny again so when I do I will snap some. It looks alot like the OEM piece, only all the way around the starter.
    Last edited by TurboOmni08; 10-11-2006 at 02:22 PM.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Hmmmmmmmm, $10 more and you get the DEI heatshield which won't get oil soaked or catch fire. How do I know, been using one for over 3 years,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

I couldn't get the DEI or any other wrap and I needed it ASAP. I looked at the stock shield, which is just aluminum tape with fiberglass inside, so I made my own.

Parts from "Do-It Best" hardware-

"Vinyl backed fiberglass insulation eliminates the need for a separate vapor barrier. 1" thick, long fiber material provides excellent 3.7 R value and high tensile strength. 3" x 25'."

Aluminum duct tape - we all know what that is and looks like.

The only thing that bothers me was the "vinyl backing" It is wrapped in tape, but it is a really thin layer and I am worried about it melting or catching fire. Its wrapped in the aluminum tape, so it outta be safe. What is the danger of oil leaking? Is it any more then with the stock unit? Which was oil soaked, or at least "oily" when I removed it.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Hmmmmmmmm, $10 more and you get the DEI heatshield which won't get oil soaked or catch fire. How do I know, been using one for over 3 years,
    Thats what I have and its definitally the way to go. Figure you saved $10, but now you have to re-wrap it and/or pull the starter, and not having to do that is well worth $10 to me

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by altered7151 View Post
    Thats what I have and its definitally the way to go. Figure you saved $10, but now you have to re-wrap it and/or pull the starter, and not having to do that is well worth $10 to me

I have to pull the starter because my transmission took a dump, not because of this. But I see where you guys are coming from. I'm gonna get the DEI for my Daytona, but it won't all of a sudden need to go back together, I will have time to order.

Hybrid booster

that's pretty much what i did, 1" wide DEI tape wrapped around the starter and solenoid, and then covered with a metal heat shield. so far, so good