Thread: HEP and ASD

Hybrid booster

HEP and ASD

Anyone have a spare one laying around that they know is good. Lost spark and trying to figure out what the issue is. I can always buy new parts after I get it started and the bugs figured out.

Thanks

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Re: HEP and ASD

Do you see the tach 'bumping' a little when you crank? That would tell you the HEP is functioning. Also have you inspected inside the distrib, shutter wheel is still attached to the shaft?

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Just be aware that there are two HEPs. '84-'85 and '86 up. They aren't interchangeable.

I had a similar problem with my old Omni GLH Turbo recently. The car would randomly lose spark and refuse to start. It turned out to be a faulty HEP that I bought from Rock Auto. Thankfully a local friend had an '84 Daytona Turbo Z that I was able to borrow the HEP from which made the diagnosis easy.

Hybrid booster

Thanks for the quick replies guys.

2.216VTurbo, my car has no tach. The car is 1986 dodge 600 with a motor our of a 88-89 Lebaron. I had a spare a HEP sensor, but it was too small and did not fit on the distributor. I'll post pics of the HEP on the car and the one that did not fit when I get home. I think I may have to just purchase one off rockauto.

86 and 88-89 should run the large distributor with a 2 wire hep. Unless it was a late 85 and has the early smaller distributor

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    It turned out to be a faulty HEP that I bought from Rock Auto.
    Was that a Wells or Standard Motor Products HEP?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] 86 Daytona Turbo Z C/S with a full 89 Shelby swap, back on the road and soon to be painted (and lose that Oggie Fisher black) 83 Porsche 944, 5 speed, all stock. 2014 Toyota Tacoma 4x4, 5 speed, daily driver. 2017 Trek 1.2 bicycle.