Thread: A568/A523 with OBX LSD question

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

A568/A523 with OBX LSD question

I have a local friend that I have helped build a very badass TIII and an A568/A523 for his Shelby CSX. The hybrid trans was built by Cliff Ramsdell and I'm sure it is legit. He sent me pictures of the difference between the inside of the driveshaft housing between the old A520 and the new A568/A523. The hybrid trans has an OBX differential installed (by Cliff). I tried to tell him it's a completely different animal inside there. He is concerned about the lack of the brass bushing that is on the A520 but is 'missing' on the new hybrid trans. Does anything look wrong here?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	123951 2.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	195.9 KB 
ID:	59473Click image for larger version. 

Name:	123951.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	289.7 KB 
ID:	59474

Re: A568/A523 with OBX LSD question

I've got a load of cash into having this thing built. I sent Cliff two trans in order to have it made. I don't know dirt about transaxles compared to some of you guys out there. I gotta know if this is OK or not before installation. I'm 99.9% sure it is.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

The 568/523/543 never had that brass support bushing. Cost reduction measure maybe ?
    1994 Shadow Sedan. 2.2 N/A, A568 400,000 miles. "the science experiment"
    1987 Shelby CSX #418. Long term rebuild and restore ?

turbo addict

I was actually hoping you guys would respond ^. But....does it look normal considering the OBX in there?

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

You cant see in far enough to tell anything about the OBX either way. I think the bushing is just a sign of an older extension housing being used but as far as i know that part of the CV axle always stayed the same, so it should be fine. If anything, just try to slide the axle in before bothering to install the trans and make sure it fits correctly. This is a good idea with an OBX anyway although i'm sure someone like Cliff would check this before sending it out anyway. I had to hone one side of my OBX after installing the bearings onto it before i put it in my van a few weeks ago.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    You cant see in far enough to tell anything about the OBX either way. I think the bushing is just a sign of an older extension housing being used but as far as i know that part of the CV axle always stayed the same, so it should be fine. If anything, just try to slide the axle in before bothering to install the trans and make sure it fits correctly. This is a good idea with an OBX anyway although i'm sure someone like Cliff would check this before sending it out anyway. I had to hone one side of my OBX after installing the bearings onto it before i put it in my van a few weeks ago.
    Good point. I also have another A568/A523 hybrid trans built by Cliff. It is identical to this one (including OBX LSD), except one is 3.50 and the other is 3.77 final drive. I had a HELL of a time inserting the intermediate shaft in the 3.50 unit! I ended up tapping it in with a BFH, but it always worked fine. Now the intermediate shaft is stuck inside. I have not tried to remove it.....I'll just install it again in the next car and hope for the best....jeez.

Any ideas on what to do if I run into that problem again? I've heard of trying many 'clocking' positions or possibly honing it.

turbo addict

On mine I had to use a file to clean the splines up and make sure they were straight. Even then, I still have to "clock" the axles as they do go in better a certain way. I think somebody found out a long time ago that the gears inside the OBX aren't always splined "square" to the gear face. In that case I remember the gear being chucked in a lathe and surfaced so it was more square. That was an extreme case, though.

turbo addict

Jeremy,
    I always slip the axles in the splines when bolting the two halves of the OBX together. Never had a problem with axle sticking when I do that. Don't do this and I usually have issues like you mentioned. I think the un-square machined gears were years ago. That problem appears to have been corrected long ago. Possible there are still old OBX's out there that still have this problem.
    IIRC, Chrysler had a TSB on the brass bushed extension housings. They went away from them by probably 89-90. Order a new extension housing for a a555 by 1993 and you would get an extension housing without the bushing.
    Todd

Mitsu booster

Can the old intermediate shaft from the 520 be used then is my only question it does fit perfectly

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Moparpowerman View Post
    Can the old intermediate shaft from the 520 be used then is my only question it does fit perfectly
    Yes, but you'll have to use the matching 520 ring gear. However, that was probably your intent if you're posting in an OBX thread.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

I think he means the extension axle/jack shaft or whatever you call it that lets you run the same short CV axle on the passenger side as the drivers side ?

The one from the 520 will fit on there although it is not advisable to keep it. When that U joint yoke assembly tears apart the damage will be extremely destructive.
    1994 Shadow Sedan. 2.2 N/A, A568 400,000 miles. "the science experiment"
    1987 Shelby CSX #418. Long term rebuild and restore ?