Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is there any company that still makes cams for a 1988 2.2?

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Re: Is there any company that still makes cams for a 1988 2.2?

I'll third this after Gary.

The camshaft should be the last piece of the puzzle, followed up only by a engine management recalibration to match the new cam.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Mitsu booster

I'll get on it gathering what is needed for a turbo 1/2 conversion, should be right in line with what I want from this car

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

I've driven my '85 carbed Charger 2.2 on the interstate, it does fine even being an auto car. Once you get around 3k it'll pick up fairly good up to redline. You have to plan your passes a bit at 70+. It'll run 80mph steady with no problem, albeit at 4k rpm

Either a stock 2.2 or 2.5 turbo engine w/ a good intercooler and 18-20psi of boost thrown at it is more than enough to zip through traffic. 225-250whp isn't too hard to get. My 3k# Lebaron with a 2.5 on 20psi would run with or outrun nearly anything stock '04 and older. Just make sure the long block is in good condition.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Force Fed Mopar View Post
    225-250whp isn't too hard to get.
    I disagree strongly, otherwise, I would see a lot more Turbo Mopar dynos with more than 225whp.

turbo addict

My GLHS was 260 to the wheels with a 88 TBI cam. Stock exhaust, ported stock-style 88 style one pice intake.
    at 18 psi, super 70 turbo.

My Consulier has yet to be tested, but I know it's much better than the GLHS.
    But has many changes.
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor mopar-tech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    I disagree strongly, otherwise, I would see a lot more Turbo Mopar dynos with more than 225whp.
    How much power does it take to propel a stock engine CSX to 12.80 at 107?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1yAV347Q0Q

My weight/speed calculator indicates 268/272 hp, 2850 lbs on the scale at Lebanon Valley last weekend.

225+hp is easy money.

Gary

Working on clearing the decks.

Mitsu booster

Anything near 200whp in this thing would be super! Honestly I would be happy with 150ish considering the weight and intended use

dumb question but is a blow through setup possible with the stock TB or am I asking for serious problems? I don't really need 200+ WHP so if I can avoid a new manfiold I would like to do so. I understand the implications and limitations, if it's not possible or just plain more expensive than just finding a SMPI manifold I'll just abandon the idea.

I have secured a turbo 1 turbo already and also have an exhaust manfiold, I will fab (well, weld up really) a downpipe for the system. How bad is a stock muffler for performance use? I already have enough "acoustic stimulation" when I drive my 408 so I would like this car to remain sorta quiet for non-annoyance of non-car loving passengers and others.

Now if a 4 cyl can be made to sound good.......I might just go with that route instead of quiet
    Last edited by Striker2237; 10-19-2016 at 08:48 AM.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Striker2237 View Post
    Anything near 200whp in this thing would be super! Honestly I would be happy with 150ish considering the weight and intended use

dumb question but is a blow through setup possible with the stock TB or am I asking for serious problems? I don't really need 200+ WHP so if I can avoid a new manfiold I would like to do so. I understand the implications and limitations, if it's not possible or just plain more expensive than just finding a SMPI manifold I'll just abandon the idea.

I have secured a turbo 1 turbo already and also have an exhaust manfiold, I will fab (well, weld up really) a downpipe for the system. How bad is a stock muffler for performance use? I already have enough "acoustic stimulation" when I drive my 408 so I would like this car to remain sorta quiet for non-annoyance of non-car loving passengers and others.

Now if a 4 cyl can be made to sound good.......I might just go with that route instead of quiet
    You could probably do a blow through, but it would be better, and easier just to take advantage of the factory engineering and take everything you need from a donor car.

Nobody has really invested any tuning time into the TBI platform because it is relatively easy to swap to multi-port/turbo.

The stock exhausts are pretty restrictive, and a higher flowing exhaust is one of the easiest and most beneficial upgrades to a turbo car. If you're shooting for under 250hp, a 2 1/2"exhaust with a SuperTurbo type muffler would sound decent and flow well enough, mellow and relatively quiet.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

89+ T1/T2 manifolds are easy & cheap enough to get, that I wouldn't bother with your tbi setup. Besides, in 88 I believe it was a low pressure(15 psi) system that isn't any good for turbos anyways. It wasn't designed for that, and you would never be happy with it.

Shoot, I have an 89 T1 intake & spare set of used(untested by me) injectors I'd let go pretty cheap... They are just taking up room in my garage now...

Mitsu booster

I was just gonna shove a 70% larger injector in and phase the cam foward a little and pray the wideband agrees with my decision lol!

In all seriousness if it lines up near 13.5 at wot I'll be happy with that, what could possibly go wrong.....

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by 83scamp View Post
    89+ T1/T2 manifolds are easy & cheap enough to get, that I wouldn't bother with your tbi setup. Besides, in 88 I believe it was a low pressure(15 psi) system that isn't any good for turbos anyways. It wasn't designed for that, and you would never be happy with it.

Shoot, I have an 89 T1 intake & spare set of used(untested by me) injectors I'd let go pretty cheap... They are just taking up room in my garage now...
    That will bolt up to my head right? How cheap are we talking........also I assume from the 15 psi statement in going to have to go through the fun of fuel tank removal and a pump upgrade arnt I?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor mopar-tech's Avatar

Don't waste your time with a TBI setup.

Turbo II intakes cheap as dirt, ditto for the manifolds.

Garrett chops up the exhaust pretty good so don't be too concerned about noise.

Same 12.80 pass from inside the car with dash cam, full exhaust.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CM1x5NMCy0

Ignore the windshield washer switch rattling like crazy.

Working on clearing the decks.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

That will bolt up to my head right? How cheap are we talking........also I assume from the 15 psi statement in going to have to go through the fun of fuel tank removal and a pump upgrade arnt I?
    Yes, you need to put a turbo fuel pump in the tank. The base pressure on the turbos is 55 psi. DO NOT buy a parts store pump. Get a real Walbro from FWP or Turbos Unleashed. If your Aries is set up about the same as my Daytona, you shouldn't have to drop the tank, the hanger can be removed. It takes a little twisting to get around the panhard bar, but it can be done... Yes the intake will bolt to your head.

As far as the intake & injectors, how's $40 plus shipping sound? You will need to get a fuel rail, associated harness, and a TB, but it gives you a start...

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by 83scamp View Post
    Yes, you need to put a turbo fuel pump in the tank. The base pressure on the turbos is 55 psi. DO NOT buy a parts store pump. Get a real Walbro from FWP or Turbos Unleashed. If your Aries is set up about the same as my Daytona, you shouldn't have to drop the tank, the hanger can be removed. It takes a little twisting to get around the panhard bar, but it can be done... Yes the intake will bolt to your head.

As far as the intake & injectors, how's $40 plus shipping sound? You will need to get a fuel rail, associated harness, and a TB, but it gives you a start...
    Sounds good to me! Ironicly I just turned it on today and blew out the brake lines......guess I'm going under it anyway so I'll do the tank too

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Sounds good to me! Ironicly I just turned it on today and blew out the brake lines......guess I'm going under it anyway so I'll do the tank too

Now youre making good decisions

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

I had posted some time ago a one piece intake from a common block T1 thst had been ported by Steve Menegon. I would sell for $100 (which was my cost for the porting) + shipping costs, if you don't have a turbo intake manifold for your project yet.
    And if you want to know how good Steve's work is, just ask around.
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12