Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there any company that still makes cams for a 1988 2.2?

Mitsu booster

Is there any company that still makes cams for a 1988 2.2?

Just like the title says, does anyone know of a manufacture that I can readily order a better cam and associated hardware for a 1988 2.2? Thanks!

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Re: Is there any company that still makes cams for a 1988 2.2?

Turbos Unleashed. They have a thread about it in their vendor section. I'm using one of their latest cams.
    And, in fairness all of our major parts vendors have a cam offering. FWD Performance, and Foward Motion are the others.
    After looking around i went with Turbos Unleashed. One important thing to consider is whether or not you are getting an actual new cam, or a reground core. The regrinds require using shims to correct the geometry as i understand it.
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

turbo addict

In my opinion, camshaft is the last thing you do, after you have your rest of your setup all sorted out. Camshaft usually just helps you put your power where you want it.

For example, this is my dyno graph, and I only have a stock 88 TBI 2.2L cam shaft but lots of aftermarket parts around it. My engine is setup to make horse power up top vs unusable torque down low.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...13#post1103213

turbo addict

I have heard this ^ before in regards to our cars

I will say I disagree

IF the first thing you had done was install a cam then everything you have done would have given you an even greater benifit .. as you were installing the upgrades

the one thing I've found using the mopar turbo cam (#314 , 460 lift) is that on a flat surface it dosen't seem to add much at all but if you put a load on the vehicle it comes alive .. very much alive like it never was before

infront of my house was a very steep long hill with an S bend halfway up

no matter how much you had a run at it you would have to slow down to the same 25mph to make the bend halfway up

the difference from halfway up to the top was more than slightly noteable with the 314 cam installed

case in point was a turbo converted turismo with full shelby charger suspension upgrade and a MP lm

"stock" car with the MP lm would gain 30 mph by the top of the hill with the happy peddel held tight against the floor - creasting the hill at 55mph

same car with the MP 314 cam would creast the hill at 75 mph (no bull) while backpeddeling the happy peddel (about 3/4 throttle while creasting as the road tweeked slightly to the left after the top so holding the peddel down would have torque steered the car into the right side ditch
    (IF I hadda been able to hold the peddel down it would definately creasted at 85 , maybe 90)

to gain 25 mph and do it with much less peddel , on a hill like that (more than a 45* grade) dosen't speak volumes as to the gain of the cam install , but rather , it SCREAMED it

but on a flat section of road , eah , it didn't seem to do much- at least not enough that you would feel much difference

I'll add that the results I had were achieved with a 305 geared 525 trans to boot and were repeated severial times a week in the 6 years I had that car
    Last edited by Dr. Johny Dodge; 10-16-2016 at 01:02 PM.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

I can say I saw no difference in ET or mph in my 2.5 lebaron between an F1 cam and a stock cam. Both rollers.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor mopar-tech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    In my opinion, camshaft is the last thing you do, after you have your rest of your setup all sorted out.
    Best piece of advice right there.

Turbocharged vehicles have complex dynamics with positive pressure present both in the intake tract and exhaust pre-turbocharger. Camshaft overlap can have considerable impact impact in this area since a common turbo engine can often have higher measured pressure in the exhaust manifold compared to the intake.

Too much overlap will cause reversion effects and other unwanted results.

I have done back to back testing with several cams at the track, same day and have seen no change to negative changes on vehicle performance.

Optimize (or fix in place) your head, intake, turbo and intercooler and then work on cam selection would be my advise.

Gary

Working on clearing the decks.

Mitsu booster

Okay based on what has been said so far I have a fundemental misunderstanding of how to upgrade this engine family. I am coming from bigger inch V8s and blown V8s and with those cam is normally one of the first things you change.

Would head upgrades and intakes also be lost on this engine?

Quote Originally Posted by Striker2237 View Post
    Okay based on what has been said so far I have a fundemental misunderstanding of how to upgrade this engine family. I am coming from bigger inch V8s and blown V8s and with those cam is normally one of the first things you change.

Restrictions upstream (intercooler) and downstream (turbine housing and wheel) dictate some choices.

It makes no sense to have a start of the art turbo if it is trying to huff air through an intercooler that flows enough for only 260 hp. Everything has to work as a team or you will be hamstrung by the weakest link.

While the state of the art turbo might gain you something it will not gain as much as it could.

turbo addict

If you can afford it, definitely start with a head that can flow for a 2.2/2.5L. Big valves, backcut valves, big ports, etc. Be aware though, you can also easily hurt the flow if the head was ported by someone who doesn't know how to make it flow. Stay away from NEW heads that is from China. Use only genuine Mopar heads, if you can find them.

If you can afford it, definitely start with a head that can flow for a 2.2/2.5L.
    If planning on upgrading intercooler later, not bad advice. If the intercooler isn't replaced will just throttle the amount of air before it even reaches the port.

There is a reason the pumping table in calibrations takes a dive after a certain point.

I'd do a good flowing and cooling intercooler first, there is virtually no downside I can think of and power will increase.

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by mopar-tech View Post
    If planning on upgrading intercooler later, not bad advice. If the intercooler isn't replaced will just throttle the amount of air before it even reaches the port.

There is a reason the pumping table in calibrations takes a dive after a certain point.

I'd do a good flowing and cooling intercooler first, there is virtually no downside I can think of and power will increase.
    What mopar head would be best? I believe I have the fast burn head currently

turbo addict

What mopar head would be best? I believe I have the fast burn head currently
    Let's start with the basics questions,

What's the goal for the car? How much are you planing to spend? How long can it be done? Is it a turbo? Auto or manual?

Mitsu booster

Let's start with the basics questions,

What's the goal for the car? How much are you planing to spend? How long can it be done? Is it a turbo? Auto or manual?
    Goal is a fun to drive daily that is able to keep up with modern traffic speeds, its currently an NA auto 2.2. I can fairly easily add a turbo to it.

Goal is a fun to drive daily that is able to keep up with modern traffic speeds, its currently an NA auto 2.2. I can fairly easily add a turbo to it.
    Any basic Turbo I or Turbo II will be able to crank along with modern traffic speeds.

turbo addict

How much mechanical experience do you have? How long can you afford to have the car down?

https://southjersey.craigslist.org/pts/5808300522.html

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by mopar-tech View Post
    Any basic Turbo I or Turbo II will be able to crank along with modern traffic speeds.
    How much mechanical experience do you have? How long can you afford to have the car down?

https://southjersey.craigslist.org/pts/5808300522.html
    Uh I did not know that, never honestly tried to drive it on an interstate yet. Mine is NA though so.......will that cut it or no?

My skill level is very high, just got done building (rebuilding/upgrading) my blown 360/408 for my "fun" vehicle so I am no stranger to working on cars. My limit is I don't know/have the equipment for machining parts. The car can be down as long as I feel like as a have a WJ that I use as a daily. There is no real rush to get it online but I would like to start enjoying the car already as it has been sitting around for a while as I am replacing and fixing a bunch of little details.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

You won't need to machine anything to convert. You will need to rewire some things.

turbo addict

My skill level is very high, just got done building (rebuilding/upgrading) my blown 360/408 for my "fun" vehicle so I am no stranger to working on cars. My limit is I don't know/have the equipment for machining parts. The car can be down as long as I feel like as a have a WJ that I use as a daily. There is no real rush to get it online but I would like to start enjoying the car already as it has been sitting around for a while as I am replacing and fixing a bunch of little details.
    Start by reading.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ild&highlight=
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...2-4&highlight=

Mitsu booster

Impressive. However I do want to keep the original engine family (2.2/2.5) in the car instead of swapping a new one, call it personal taste I guess......

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor GLHS60's Avatar

The old SOHC Engines are addictive for sure!!

Is this an Omni you are building??

Thanks
    Randy

There is no logical reason to call an Engine a motor.

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    86 GLHS 373 : SOLD, but never forgotten
    89 Turbo Minivan
    83 Turbo Rampage : SOLD
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast