Thread: Melting blower motor switch?

turbo addict

Melting blower motor switch?

I daily my 89 CSX and in the past two years Ive melted the blower motor switch. Twice now. The first time I thought it was a fluke, so I got a minty switch from a JY and swapped it in. That lasted less then a year, it died this morning (first frost too of course). So I just yanked the switch and put in a jumper wire. Obviously something isn't right. Ive had tons of P bodys and never had this issue. Ground issue maybe? Motor works fine on all speeds with a new switch. The jumper makes me nervous, Im afraid of it catching on fire. Anyone had this issue before?

Thanks

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: Melting blower motor switch?

I'm guessing that the female terminals in the connector has lost its temper. I suggest getting a new switch and connector. Rock Auto carry's them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] 86 Daytona Turbo Z C/S with a full 89 Shelby swap, back on the road and soon to be painted (and lose that Oggie Fisher black) 83 Porsche 944, 5 speed, all stock. 2014 Toyota Tacoma 4x4, 5 speed, daily driver. 2017 Trek 1.2 bicycle.

turbo addict

Where the switch plugs into the assembly? That may be it. I think I used the old ones with the new switch. It was cooked when I pulled it apart. Last I looked at rock auto that switch was $77. Back to the JY I go. Maybe Ill try to solder the new one in place...

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

If you go the junkyard route, grab the connector too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] 86 Daytona Turbo Z C/S with a full 89 Shelby swap, back on the road and soon to be painted (and lose that Oggie Fisher black) 83 Porsche 944, 5 speed, all stock. 2014 Toyota Tacoma 4x4, 5 speed, daily driver. 2017 Trek 1.2 bicycle.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

I had an issue somewhat similar to this. I could only hypothesize that I had a short in the blower motor winding allowing for it to pull too many amps. It would function pretty normally, but it would pull so much current that it would kill my 90 style ignition switches. The solution was a simple relay for the blower motor. After that I had no issues. This was after 2-3 ign switches I should add. I made a video for it.

turbo addict

I had the problem on my shadow as well, replaced the switch with a new unit (not jy) and never was a problem again.