Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The "Z" car

Garrett booster

The "Z" car

So what is the deal with the Shelby Z cars and Nissan Z cars. My brother was trying to tell me Shelby was just coping a good thing. He is a Nissan man. I also know Nissan has been using the "Z" since the early 70's. So dose anybody have any real information I can use to prove him wrong?

two point two much fun Turbo Mopar Staff Turbodave's Avatar

Re: The "Z" car

It was just the cool thing back in the 80's, you had the IROC-Z, Turbo-Z, Z28, Z24, 280ZX etc...
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

85 GLH-Turbo (DC intercooled)
    86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541
    89 Shadow Competition Package and lots more...

They probably stole it. In my company, the product names are made up by clueless, snooty colorfully-dressed marketing types that go home at 3pm.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by MiniMopar View Post
    They probably stole it. In my company, the product names are made up by clueless, snooty colorfully-dressed marketing types that go home at 3pm.
    can i get that kind of job

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Boost_Virgin View Post
    My brother was trying to tell me Shelby was just coping a good thing.
    Tell your brother that Shelby had nothing to do with the Dodge Daytona in design or in production so he wasn't copying anybody.

Just like the Dodge Lancer Shelby the Dodge Daytona Shelby model name came from the Chrysler marketing department.

Zo6, Z-71, Z-Max I like R/T and SRT....

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

"Turbo Z" was probably a copy or coincidental... Remember the '79 Yenko "Turbo Z" Camaro? was quick, like 14's in the 1/4 vs. the Z28 that went 17's, LOL

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

plain and simple... marketing.

look at things these days even... you hear the word "turbocharged" for tons of adds on TV, vacuums, blenders, etc... it's a marketing thing that people want to hear. back then, to have the "Z" made your car special. and also, like other people said... there were Z28, Z06, Z71, etc etc etc. the Z is all over the place

Tell your borther a Dahtsoon is a dahtsoon no matter what they call it.

Garrett booster

You can also tell him that the current "Z Car" is ugly as hell too.

Quote Originally Posted by gkcooper View Post
    Clling a Datsun ugly is repetitious.

Hybrid booster

I prefer the Ford Pinto-Z. It holds the road better than any other Z!

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by looneytuner View Post
    Tell your borther a Dahtsoon is a dahtsoon no matter what they call it.
    Quote Originally Posted by gkcooper View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by looneytuner View Post
    Clling a Datsun ugly is repetitious.

Dang, I guess you guys never owned one

I'd take my rusted out '82 280ZX over a rusted out Shelby Z any day To tell ya the truth, I'd like to have another one if I could find one in good shape.

The 240Z came out in the late 60s. I think it was '69 to be exact.

Quote Originally Posted by DeckSetter View Post

I'd take my rusted out '82 280ZX over a rusted out Shelby Z any day To tell ya the truth, I'd like to have another one if I could find one in good shape.

I'm just giving him help in razzing his brother. I test drove a 69 Dahtsoon 2000cc Fair Lady when it was new. Yep they called it a Fair Lady I believe. They are hard to find because of rusting.

Garrett booster

I still think the '90 Z car was one of the most beautiful cars ever, and the 240Z thru the '77 280 were great too. Just the current abomination deserves an abortion!

I bought/ordered a 1972 Datsun 240Z in Japan on R&R from RVN. It debuted in the USA in 1971 I think but was sold in Japan in 1970 as that years FAIRLADY. I read somewhere that the Japenese hired the caucasion designer who had a thing for the XKE Jaguar so thats where it got its early styling cues. I visited the Yokohama(?) factory while there on R&R and saw how absolutely dedicated their line workers were! They actually exercised during their breaks!!! In formation!!! I loved that car and as I recall it was great in the snow here in MO too. I'd trade all my ragtops for another rust-free DatsunZ!!!

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by PTT View Post
    I bought/ordered a 1972 Datsun 240Z in Japan on R&R from RVN. It debuted in the USA in 1971 I think but was sold in Japan in 1970 as that years FAIRLADY. I read somewhere that the Japenese hired the caucasion designer who had a thing for the XKE Jaguar so thats where it got its early styling cues. I visited the Yokohama(?) factory while there on R&R and saw how absolutely dedicated their line workers were! They actually exercised during their breaks!!! In formation!!! I loved that car and as I recall it was great in the snow here in MO too. I'd trade all my ragtops for another rust-free DatsunZ!!!

....they exercised in formation? Uhhhhhhh that's a little odd.............

It's too bad these things rusted out so bad. The inline 6 is really a great engine. Mine sat in some guy's barn for 4 years or so, unattended and covered in dirt and rats nests. My friend found it, gave the guy $400, we took some jumper cables with us, and he drove it home 30 miles that night with no problems. It still runs like a top but I don't drive it because I'm half afraid the whole rear half of the car would fall off going down the road.

turbo addict

My next door neighbor in Murfreesboro had two Datsun/Nissan Z cars. He needed two so he could drive one while he was fixing the other. I've noticed that even in the south, they are rust buckets. A friend of mine has a 1983 that has been garage kept and it's still rusty. Also, calling them slow is being nice.
    Kevin Isenberg EVERYTHING is for sale!

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by GLHS592 View Post
    Also, calling them slow is being nice.

Find a FAST car from the late 70s / early 80s

The turbo 280ZX was 180hp. That's out of a 2.8 inline 6. The computer and compression ratio in the mid 7's are to blame for that. I've heard a few times "don't bother porting the head unless you're going for over 400hp." For a SOHC design that dates back to the 60s, it's not half bad.

.....plus the inline 6 just has an AWESOME sound

Find a FAST car from the late 70s / early 80s

The turbo 280ZX was 180hp. That's out of a 2.8 inline 6. The computer and compression ratio in the mid 7's are to blame for that. I've heard a few times "don't bother porting the head unless you're going for over 400hp." For a SOHC design that dates back to the 60s, it's not half bad.

.....plus the inline 6 just has an AWESOME sound
    My 72 Pinto was about 150 hp after I replaced the Phord parts that broke in the first 20,000 miles. AND it got about 30 mpg at 90 mph. Remember when Carter dropped the speed limit????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast