Thread: POR-15 fuel tank sealant

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

POR-15 fuel tank sealant

Here is a opened fuel filter than was used for one year and approx 12,000 miles. In 2008 or 2009, the original rusty tank was pressured washed inside to remove flaked rust.Prep with POR-15 wash, then POR-15 metal prep and finally coated with POR-15 gas tank sealant. I don't work for POR-15 just happy with this product. I use mostly use Costco 91 fuel. As you can see the filter is clean no rust, no gum and no flakes.
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3...F9kNk81d1ZET00

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3...GR5LUl1R2d1am8
    Regards,
    Miles

DD '87 Sundance T1, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432 2.5 CB TII, SLH

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Re: POR-15 fuel tank sealant

I'm sorry to be a pain, but I feel I really need to relay my experience with this.

I would never *ever* recommend POR-15's gas tank sealer to even my worst enemy. Believe me, I've used many of their products. I have painted pretty much darn near everything as far as suspension and chassis on both my Shelby Lancer and Omni GLH Turbo. That is a great product, and after 10 years, it is holding up very well. Not perfect, but I am impressed.

I also tried their gas tank sealer. Maybe the problem is that it was a brand new gas tank, but it turned out horribly. I used their "Metal Ready" inside and out of the tank. I followed the directions to a T. That ---- peeled off in sheets and clogged up the fuel tank pickup and I finally couldn't even drive the car anymore! Total and complete fuel starvation. I'm lucky I didn't lose a motor to this on a WOT pull. I threw that tank in the garbage! I had to buy another new tank, and I painted that on the outside with silver POR-15. It has held up OK, but it is starting to peel off in small slivers and sheets and it's turned a strange hue of orange/yellow.

POR-15 makes some good stuff, but I would never use that gas tank sealer again. Avoid using any of their products on galvanized metal. Like a new gas tank. I feel it would work better on a very seasoned rusty gas tank, but still, no thanks.

EDIT: You can get yourself a new gas tank on Rock Auto for about $80 for a Lancer. If you've got a rusty scaly tank, do that and save yourself a lot of trouble. Just install the damn thing. I'm still pissed about the whole experience with POR-15 gas tank sealer if anybody hasn't noticed.
    Last edited by iTurbo; 10-11-2016 at 01:05 AM.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    I'm sorry to be a pain, but I feel I really need to relay my experience with this.
    This is exactly why I like this forum, people share their experiences and are very pleasant when they disagree. WRT, the tank prep I assumed you cleaned the tank with the alkaline cleaning solution.
    I do find that POR-15 rust treatment does not work as well on oily or shiny surfaces. In addition, I degrease with acetone or lacquer thinner prior to the alkaline cleaner.

I do agree it is easier just to pop in a new tank.
    Regards,
    Miles

DD '87 Sundance T1, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432 2.5 CB TII, SLH

Mitsu booster

I bought a new tank for my Daytona in 2014 since they were available and relatively cheap. I read some Amazon reviews and used a quart of KBS Gold. Per one of the reviews, I used chemicals from Home Depot to prep the tank instead of their stuff. I had to pull the tank this week when my Airtex fuel pump began to die, and the inside looks great. The sock for the fuel pump had no blockage.