Thread: Key-In buzzer disconnect

Hybrid booster

Key-In buzzer disconnect

Hey guys - anyone have an easy way to stop that annoying buzzer when you open the door with the car running? Looking for a fuse or wire to disconnect. Something simple - don't want to cut wires. Car is 85 Shelby Charger.

Thanks, Ralph

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: Key-In buzzer disconnect

I'm pretty sure if you pull the cover off the column there is a connector at the lock cylinder. It's been a while, so I'm not positive that's where it's at on the L body cars. That's how I would do it if I were engineering it, so that's what they probably did though.

turbo addict

somewhere on the multy connector ignition connector at the bottom end of the steering cllm there should be a small 2 wire connector - it should be for the "key in switch" (I think , been awhile)

unplug it and see if the dinger/chime/buzzer stops working

Garrett booster

The buzzer module in above the glovebox area in the L bodies. You are looking for a yellow module that looks like this:

For my Omni I just swapped the buzzer module for the chime module found in other cars. Makes it a little more pleasant. You could unplug the above module, but you'd lose the seat belt light.

turbo addict

^I unplugged my buzzer relay too, its been a while, but I thought I remember it being in the fuse box on the drivers side? but its been quite some time...

boostaholic

this yellow box is normally at the top of the fuse box.

Hybrid booster

I think its a green box on top of the fuse box on my car. That is where the sound is coming from. Does it just pull our like a fuse does? I couldn't see any wiring. I tried to pull it but didn't want to break it.

turbo addict

for some reason I remember it being yellow? and yes, it just plugs into the fuse box, no wiring to it

Garrett booster

I've been asked about the chime module install on my Omni, hopefully this helps for anyone else.

First locate a chime module. Either the earlier 4312664 or the later part number 5266269 will do. eBay has a few for sale:
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/4312664
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/5266269

Second, locate your buzzer module in your Omni and unplug it. In 1990, it was above the glove box area and it was yellow.

Third, plug in the chime module. Now you are done. I simply zip tied mine since the mounting was slightly off. Now enjoy the less annoying sounds of buzzing when your lights are on or your door is open with the key in the ignition.

boostaholic

Installed the later one. Works awesome. Feels like a more modern car that's not as cheap now!

Hybrid booster

I came to this post to ask about this exact thing. Don't want to loose the function, just wanna make it less annoying. Where are they located on other models since I'm probably going to find in the JY and can't use the sound to find it.
    Quote Originally Posted by bamman View Post
    I've been asked about the chime module install on my Omni, hopefully this helps for anyone else.

First locate a chime module. Either the earlier 4312664 or the later part number 5266269 will do. eBay has a few for sale:
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/4312664
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/5266269

Second, locate your buzzer module in your Omni and unplug it. In 1990, it was above the glove box area and it was yellow.

Third, plug in the chime module. Now you are done. I simply zip tied mine since the mounting was slightly off. Now enjoy the less annoying sounds of buzzing when your lights are on or your door is open with the key in the ignition.