Thread: Crab wheels, cast or forged

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Crab wheels, cast or forged

I'm curious, are the crab wheels pressure cast or forged?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] 86 Daytona Turbo Z C/S with a full 89 Shelby swap, back on the road and soon to be painted (and lose that Oggie Fisher black) 83 Porsche 944, 5 speed, all stock. 2014 Toyota Tacoma 4x4, 5 speed, daily driver. 2017 Trek 1.2 bicycle.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Re: Crab wheels, cast or forged

Cast.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

turbo addict

what makes you say cast ?

most alloy o-e wheels are forged which is what makes them heavy

Generally forged wheels have the advantage of being lighter and stronger. Most cars the wheels are cast but a lot of performance cars have forged wheels.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] 86 Daytona Turbo Z C/S with a full 89 Shelby swap, back on the road and soon to be painted (and lose that Oggie Fisher black) 83 Porsche 944, 5 speed, all stock. 2014 Toyota Tacoma 4x4, 5 speed, daily driver. 2017 Trek 1.2 bicycle.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post
    what makes you say cast ?

most alloy o-e wheels are forged which is what makes them heavy
    I would disagree. Most OE Aluminum wheels are cast.

Actually forged wheels are generally lighter than cast, because the forging process can make a stronger wheel with less mass. Forged are also much more expensive to produce. The casting process is much cheaper, so they load up on mass for strength. That's why OE wheels are so heavy.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    Most OE Aluminum wheels are cast.

Actually forged wheels are generally lighter than cast, because the forging process can make a stronger wheel with less mass. Forged are also much more expensive to produce. The casting process is much cheaper, so they load up on mass for strength. That's why OE wheels are so heavy.
    this... forged lighter than cast.. but cost more.

boostaholic

I understood the same, 99% OE from all brands are cast. Of the few forged ones the only 5x100 I have heard about is the 04ish STI BBS ones before they went to 114.3. And its got the wrong offset and fetches way too much $$$. I have to think any manufacturer would stick it in the marketing if they spent the kinda $$$ forged wheels cost. Must have been even more expensive tech back in the 80's-90's!
    MinivanRider

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor mopar-tech's Avatar

Just an FYI-

Chrysler had a fiasco on their hands back in 1969-1970 when they offered cast road wheels for the mid-size and small cars as an option. Known as the "recall wheels" they had a problem with cracking and almost all of them were recalled and never offered again. Used sets go for insane amounts of dollars, I have heard of mint sets with matching lug nuts trading hands for $10,000.

This cast such a shadow over Chrysler that all aluminum wheels offered since were forged. I don't know if that is the policy or not now but it was for a great numbers of years.

Working on clearing the decks.

Quote Originally Posted by mopar-tech View Post
    Just an FYI-

Chrysler had a fiasco on their hands back in 1969-1970 when they offered cast road wheels for the mid-size and small cars as an option. Known as the "recall wheels" they had a problem with cracking and almost all of them were recalled and never offered again. Used sets go for insane amounts of dollars, I have heard of mint sets with matching lug nuts trading hands for $10,000.

This cast such a shadow over Chrysler that all aluminum wheels offered since were forged. I don't know if that is the policy or not now but it was for a great numbers of years.
    That is a interesting titbit. I Googled that recall and a few Chrysler forum's came up with those wheels. They where made by Kelsey Hayes. And like you said they sell them for crazy money. I don't care how much of a Mopar purest aficionado you are, why would someone put a 47 year old wheel on their pride and joy thats known to fail?

Anyhow it's easy to tell if your crankshaft is cast or forged but it there a way to tell if a aluminium wheel is cast or forged? In the 80's Porsche 944 had cast wheels as standard equipment and forged wheels as a option.

Quote Originally Posted by marc View Post
    I don't care how much of a Mopar purest aficionado you are, why would someone put a 47 year old wheel on their pride and joy thats known to fail?
    Show queens see very little stress on the wheels.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

If they're forged, then maybe they can be lightened some without too much risk of failure.

The Fiero wheels appear to have cast "lace" centers and forged hoops; the weld bead is seen at the circumference of the lace center, where it joins the hoop
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Double post
    Last edited by marc; 09-30-2016 at 08:09 PM.

Show queens see very little stress on the wheels.
    Yes, those cars probably trailer to car meets.

Quote Originally Posted by johnl View Post
    If they're forged, then maybe they can be lightened some without too much risk of failure
    I wouldn't feed safe driving with a lighten a wheel.

Just an FYI-

i know of that recall, but I have my doubts that the forged wheel policy would have lasted into the FWD era.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

Quote Originally Posted by johnl View Post
    If they're forged, then maybe they can be lightened some without too much risk of failure.
    If that were true, when you're done, you'd still have an old narrow wheel that's getting harder and harder to find decent tires for.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    i know of that recall, but I have my doubts that the forged wheel policy would have lasted into the FWD era.
    I know of at least one racer who has cut apart FWD rims and narrowed and widened them, I suspect they are not cast.

I'll ask the machinist I work with if there is an easy test, sharp guy.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Yes, please do.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia