Thread: R5 Camshafts back in stock!!! TWO DAY SALE!!!

R5 Camshafts back in stock!!! THREE DAY SALE!!!

We just picked up our second batch of R5 camshafts today. They are on the shelves and ready to ship.

http://turbosunleashed.com/shop/perf...fts-p-486.html

$275. Price is good until the end of the month.

Thanks!

Chris-TU
    Last edited by Chris W; 09-28-2016 at 03:53 AM.
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

Hybrid booster

Re: R5 Camshafts back in stock!!! TWO DAY SALE!!!

I would love some more power!

Dumb question .

Im using my van for towing. how is the power band? how much more radical is this cam?

1-2 steps up>? 3-4 steps up?

Thanks.

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Re: R5 Camshafts back in stock!!! THREE DAY SALE!!!

I'm using an R5 in MeanMini with a high flowing turbo, head, header and exhaust.
    She just ran 7.90 @ 87.50 in the 1/8 and that run should have been a 12.44 @ 107 but it didn't record the 1/4 time & speed. Her best the same night was a 12.53@ 106.6. So that cam is capable of haulin' the mail! These runs averaged about 22.5 psi, and i had the cam slightly advanced to try to have a bit more earlier in the rpms. Installed at the proper centerline she was still pulling at 6500 rpm in the 2.5.
    The van weighs 3120 so you can do your own math on hp.
    I can't wait to run a full 25psi down the track and see what she'll do!
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

I recently bought a FWD F-4 cam (new, not regrind). How do these cams compare in terms of performance?

Here's the raw specs:

R5
    227/219 Intake/Exhaust Duration @ .050
    496/508 Intake/Exhaust Gross Valve Lift using 1.78 RAR
    Intake Centerline 113.5° ATDC
    Exhaust Centerline 115.75° BTDC
    Lobe separation angle (LSA) 114.625°
    Camshaft advanced 2.25°

F-4
    282/276 duration at .006 tappett lift on the intake/exhaust
    470/467 gross valve lift on the intake/exhaust
    centerline 116

Is there a significant benefit to either one of these?

Quote Originally Posted by masterjr33 View Post
    I would love some more power!

Dumb question .

Im using my van for towing. how is the power band? how much more radical is this cam?

1-2 steps up>? 3-4 steps up?

Thanks.
    The R5 wasn't really designed for towing but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be better choice over a factory profile. For specs and additional information we recommend reviewing the following thread: http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...-on-Discussion. Be sure to set aside plenty of time as there are 25 pages of info. Some of the contributor's opinions are biased so you just need to take it all in to establish your own conclusions.

Quote Originally Posted by wheming View Post
    I'm using an R5 in MeanMini with a high flowing turbo, head, header and exhaust.
    She just ran 7.90 @ 87.50 in the 1/8 and that run should have been a 12.44 @ 107 but it didn't record the 1/4 time & speed. Her best the same night was a 12.53@ 106.6. So that cam is capable of haulin' the mail! These runs averaged about 22.5 psi, and i had the cam slightly advanced to try to have a bit more earlier in the rpms. Installed at the proper centerline she was still pulling at 6500 rpm in the 2.5.
    Congrats Wayne!! Can't believe you are turning those kind of numbers in a hi profile MiniVan and in just one season at the track. I am sure Slowe Speed had something to do with that. Imagine what that powertrain would do in an L-Body.

Chris-TU
    Last edited by Chris W; 09-29-2016 at 03:14 PM.
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Chris W View Post
    For specs and additional information we recommend reviewing the following thread: http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...-on-Discussion.
    Wow. That's one hell of a thread. I recommend starting at page 15 unless you like looking back at old pissing matches (guilty).

So, ultimately what I got from that was that there's no in-vehicle dyno comparisons, and even if there were it would be difficult to draw a conclusion about your OWN setup without trying both in your OWN vehicle. There's way too many different combinations of turbos, heads, intakes, calibrations to say definitively one is "better" than the other.

Unfortunately, I will have to pass up on this great sale price for now. I already have the F-4 and I the lack of spare cash and time to compare both cams. That and I don't even have a car that runs adequately enough to try it in. If you don't have an F-4 already this is a great price!

For the record, just stating this because of that thread, I have spent a few thousand dollars with both FWD and TU and I have nothing bad to say about either of them, as individuals or companies. Keep up the good work!

boostaholic

Ordered, gonna try it in my old pig....

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Re: R5 Camshafts back in stock!!! THREE DAY SALE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wheming View Post
    I should update this...
    Running 24psi and with the cam still slightly advanced from where Brian had it degreed in (but less than the above run), she made a new record at Cecil County Dragway of 11.83@112.92mph!
    Other changes from the previous bests, slightly more timing, and increased launch rpm, and increased preload on wastegate spring. There is still more to go.

Needless to say, but I'm pretty happy with this cam. Might try to get some dyno figures over the winter.
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini