Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GTX goes to the track.. first time since 1996

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor mopar-tech's Avatar

GTX goes to the track.. first time since 1996

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-09-24 10.59.06.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	755.7 KB 
ID:	59367Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-09-24 10.59.16.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	833.1 KB 
ID:	59368Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN9408_A.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	180.4 KB 
ID:	59369Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160924_134712375_HDR_A.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	462.3 KB 
ID:	59374Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN9476_A.jpg 
Size:	209.5 KB 
ID:	59372Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN9458_A.jpg 
Size:	298.6 KB 
ID:	59371Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN9409_A.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	356.4 KB 
ID:	59370Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN9477.JPG 
Views:	130 
Size:	646.3 KB 
ID:	59373Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160924_165737817_SML.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	266.7 KB 
ID:	59375Click image for larger version. 

Name:	timeslips_2016.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	176.7 KB 
ID:	59376

The track was a mob scene with well over 300 cars for the Dover Drag Strip 8th reunion being held at Lebanon Valley this weekend. Nice air but brisk headwind again! Flag was blowing straight out at times. The track surface was excellent. Scale stated car was 3850 with me and third tank of fuel.

Pass one: 12.11 at 112.8 MPH 1.78ST SLICKS 16 psi

Right out of the box the car hooks and cranks off a 12.1 likes its nothing.

Pass two: 12.13 at 112.3 MPH 1.78ST SLICKS 16 psi

Advanced timing 2 degrees, car goes "nah bro, you had it spot on the first time" set it back to where it was. Looking at the crowded lanes it was time to turn the bottle on, 52/52 jets.

Pass three: 11.08 at 121.59 MPH 1.62 ST SLICKS 16 psi

Car comes out of the hole like a beast, treed the guy in the left lane and it turns into a real race at the top end where he just reels me in at the stripe, It was close!

Track official at the end of the track rather irate about cars sudden increase in acceleration, stern warning indicated. Since I have to come back in 2 weeks with a different car felt further shenanigans best avoided.

Pass four: 12.09 at 113.1 MPH 1.78ST SLICKS 16 psi

Changed metering one step richer since the air was cool, car said "I like that" and gave up another tenth and mph to the cause.

Pass four: 12.09 at 113.09 MPH 1.78ST SLICKS 16 psi

Changed metering rods again, pulled bottle out of car, made sure glovebox and ashtray were emptied, pulled the floormats, bumped up the slicks 2 pounds, bumped the front tires 5 pounds and went to the bathroom for good measure. 11.99 was right there....

Pass four: 12.09 at 113.09 MPH 1.80ST SLICKS 18 psi

And I blew it. Instead of focusing on running the car at its best like I had done most of the day I had started casting an eye on the tree trying to improve my light. Came out of the hole soft as I was not on the converter enough and pulled the worst ST of the day a 1.80.

Took one look at the packed staging lanes and headed home.

Only disappointment of the day was malfunction of the dash cam as it overwrote the 11.0 pass!

Here is what the last pass of the day looked like via dash cam:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1F7FkuC4j0

External views:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHM4QWgcP4g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mTIPpXfRvI

Next time I'll just leave the camera on and let it record the whole day, it has enough on-board storage for 14 hours of footage.

All in all I'm pleased; The car ran flawless and ran quicker than it has ever gone even though it is running an engine built back in 1992 with iron factory heads and chunky TRW forged slugs. The tune was pretty much spot on, its heavier than "back in the day" since it now has factory bumper up front (fiberglass unit with aluminum brackets hanging on wall now) the ultralight weld racing wheels are on the shelf and the crusty 2" Hooker headers were replaced with a set of Summit Racing $110 1.75" tube headers.

Not bad for an old street rat.

I'm actually considering doing some work on the car and running it up to the 11.49 mark. A fresh short block with pistons that don't weigh 5 pounds apiece and some aluminum heads would do wonders... hmm.. Got a set of them just sitting on the shelf..

The GTX's weak point as it sits is the converter in my opinion. Its just a stock 340 unit that was tossed in as an experiment back in 1995 and its been in there ever since! When 1000 CFM of AFB's pop open on the line the car is a little soft out of the hole till the rpm comes up a touch and then it comes on like gangbusters. A looser converter or even a 2.74 first gearset would help it snap out of the hole with a bit more authority.

Was a great weekend and now I have 2 other cars to get ready (CSX and Duster) to go in the next few weeks before season ends.

Best comment of the day? Old timer stopped and looked as I had the micrometer out checking metering rod sizes and states

"Two AFB's, now that's old school!"

Gary

Stats for those interested:

30 over 440 with TRW forged 10.5-1 six pack slugs, these are very old tech HEAVY pistons. steel crank, speed-o-motive prepped rods with ARP bolts, ARP main studs, .528 mech Direct Connection cam with max-wedge rocker gear, 452 Herb McCandless iron heads with oversize valves, battleship steel springs and titanium retainers with a Weiand RB tunnel ram with 2 Carter 500 AFB carburetors. Summit Racing 1.75" headers. Mopar Chrome box ignition with factory distributor with light racing springs and Moroso blue max wires. Its been together since 1992 without being freshened up. Motor is an anvil that has seen 7200 RPM and gobs of nitrous street racing and refuses to die. Gear changes happen at 5500, its where the car ET's best and pops through the traps at 6000 rpm

Transmission is just a 727 I tossed together with a manual valve body, $79 rebuild kit from Mancini racing and a 340 torque converter from some car we stripped. Been in the car since 1996 or 1997.

Out back is a 8.75" with 4.10 gears and M/T 10.5 x 28 x 15 slicks mounted on 15 x 8 rallye wheels.

Working on clearing the decks.

Hybrid booster

Re: GTX goes to the track.. first time since 1996

Great times Gary! Glad you were able to get and have a successful event.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I had an awesome time, might make an upgrade or two and have another stab it it before the end of the year.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Whats the bar/cage set up like? Why are the officials snotty with low 11's? Sounds like a good day however you look at it

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    Whats the bar/cage set up like? Why are the officials snotty with low 11's? Sounds like a good day however you look at it
    Oh they were well right to be annoyed, I was running a 1/2 second faster than I should of with no fire jacket or rollbar.

Fire jacket I have, car isn't getting a rollbar.

I'm formulating a plan right now, just might go to Cecil this year and drag the GTX along.. with some upgrades.

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Very nice work Gary!
    Nice consistency also!
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Hybrid booster

Gotta love anything with a tunnel ram!

Just an FYI

Holley states 52/52 is 150 hp shot
    Monte from Holley states closer to 100 hp
    Calculating from mph = 109 hp increase
    Calculating from ET = 131 hp increase

Quote Originally Posted by wheming View Post
    Very nice work Gary!
    Nice consistency also!
    The car was a hooking beast this weekend. I lit the bulb a few times but even then not by much as I was trying to focus on getting the best out of the car. I'm thinking there is another trip to the track coming up... Some mid-11's should not be a problem with the proper converter and a new set of 1 7/8" headers.. If I can drop the ST from 1.80 to 1.60 the car will be rapping off 11.6 to 11.8 all day long.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wastelands Warrior View Post
    Gotta love anything with a tunnel ram!
    Functional too, gobs of torque.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

What's a metering rod?

Nice work, Gary! Sounds like a fun day!
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor jonnymopar's Avatar

Man, I'm all smiles seeing track pictures of this car again, especially after being able to walk right up to it earlier this year. Good job Gary!
    Jon J.

1989 Daytona ES 2.4L DOHC
    2003 Neon SXT - gone but never forgotten

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is!

Invisible Turbo Mopar Contributor mcsvt's Avatar

Sounds like an awesome day Gary, that GTX is awesome! What are you bringing on the 8th?
    -Gary Mazzone-
    1986 GLHS #168

turbo addict

lol your car and story almost twin the road runner a couple of buddies had
    same colour , year and times with and without the spray

B5, orig 383 swaped 440 , post car with o-e hood pins , go wing and a/c .. texas car
    though the a/c was gone under the hood

turbo addict

What did the car run "back in the day" with the light wheels, bumpers, etc.? (off the squeeze, since you only got one run in with it).

Quote Originally Posted by mcsvt View Post
    Sounds like an awesome day Gary, that GTX is awesome! What are you bringing on the 8th?
    CSX; I have refined the calibration, doing some exhaust work and cranking up the boost.

Looking to beat its 12.80 pass at Cecil last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    What did the car run "back in the day" with the light wheels, bumpers, etc.? (off the squeeze, since you only got one run in with it).
    Complicated answer.

The car had 3 different intakes, different headers, 4 different carburetors, 3 different rear end ratios (2 different Dana 60's alone) a number of cam changes and of course swapping back and forth transmissions.

The best pass was 11.2 at 124 with a stick, 4.56 gears, 2 1/8" headers, .590 cam and the aforementioned lighter hardware.

I'm very pleased that with a tired motor, smaller headers, smaller cam, less gear and more weight its within a stones throw of its best work. With a converter change and 1 7/8" headers I predict it will be within 2-3 tenths of its best pass... I might just have to get the 'glass bumper off the wall and put the skinny tires up front... stuff to do..

Invisible Turbo Mopar Contributor mcsvt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mopar-tech View Post
    CSX; I have refined the calibration, doing some exhaust work and cranking up the boost.

Looking to beat its 12.80 pass at Cecil last year.
    Cool, should see you there. Looking like I'll have the Dart with me. Dave should be bringing out his Omni.
    -Gary Mazzone-
    1986 GLHS #168

Quote Originally Posted by mcsvt View Post
    Cool, should see you there. Looking like I'll have the Dart with me. Dave should be bringing out his Omni.
    I have a friend bringing his Demon up for the first time in close to 20 years, he is borrowing the slicks from my Duster to run.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by mopar-tech View Post
    Complicated answer.

The car had 3 different intakes, different headers, 4 different carburetors, 3 different rear end ratios (2 different Dana 60's alone) a number of cam changes and of course swapping back and forth transmissions.

The best pass was 11.2 at 124 with a stick, 4.56 gears, 2 1/8" headers, .590 cam and the aforementioned lighter hardware.

I'm very pleased that with a tired motor, smaller headers, smaller cam, less gear and more weight its within a stones throw of its best work. With a converter change and 1 7/8" headers I predict it will be within 2-3 tenths of its best pass... I might just have to get the 'glass bumper off the wall and put the skinny tires up front... stuff to do..
    LOL...that's quite a bit! So, that best in the "days of old"...on the squeeze or no? Hard to tell.

If on...I'd say the car is doing great and makes me wonder if those huge primaries were really needed? I do see the mph difference (which I know directly corresponds to power), but you said there was a pretty major head wind, so...I kinda gave that a little bit of a "pass" so to speak.

I'm certainly no expert when it comes to big V8 N/A performance...I know enough to talk a decent conversation, but I learn something every time that a lot of people that have been around a while would probably say are "basics".

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	track_2.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	185.5 KB 
ID:	59388

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    LOL...that's quite a bit! So, that best in the "days of old"...on the squeeze or no? Hard to tell.
    Bottle was on the street, no track time.

If on...I'd say the car is doing great and makes me wonder if those huge primaries were really needed?
    With the headers? I was running 2 1/8" in the past, 1 3/4 is on the small side for a healthy 440.

Small side for a healthy 340 for that matter!

Edit: While not an exact apples to oranges comparison, last year the Duster went from exhaust manifolds to headers and picked up 70+ HP. Still left some on the table as the headers I installed were 1 5/8" Dougs ceramic coated which were chosen for excellent fitment and longevity.

Car went from running 14.1 at 94 mph to 13.0 at 104 mph. In 3 weeks I hope to have the new rear end gears broke in and be running 12's.
    Last edited by mopar-tech; 09-28-2016 at 05:41 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast