Thread: H-Body Rear Glass ('89 LS)

Hybrid booster

H-Body Rear Glass ('89 LS)

Hey guys,

Hoping to pick your brains a bit here.

I have an '89 LS and the rear glass in the hatch needs to be re-sealed. There is more seal leaking than holding, I sprayed some glass cleaner in the window track and blew compressed air from inside the hatch, and was making bubbles nearly around the entire window with the leaked air.

There is one, ONE, glass shop in my area that can use the wire cutting technique to remove my glass, and I think I will be going through them to do the work.

However, I wanted to be able to pre-warn them of any possible complications. I've heard stories that the brake wiring runs right through the rear glass seal, etc.

If anyone has had experience removing the rear glass from a Lancer, please chime in! Anything I should be aware of? Anything to look out for? Your help is much appreciated!

Kind regards,
    Zach

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

Re: H-Body Rear Glass ('89 LS)

It's glued in with window urethane. It should be cut out with a window knife from the inside, or a vibrating knife. There's not much room to get a wire through there without rubbing it against the glass.

Window knife: http://www.toolpan.com/ATD-Tools-856...FQoxaQodMsoBGQ

Hybrid booster

Apparently this wire cutting technique takes more man hours, but is much gentler to the glass. Since I cannot seem to find any spare glass panels, I wanted to be as safe as possible with the removal of my original.

I have confirmed in other places that using the "wire cutting" technique is preferable if you're worried about popping the glass. Are you certain that this should not be done? (I'm trying to avoid the window knife, and nobody in my little town uses a vibrating knife that I'm aware of.)

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

As previously mentioned, I don't see how you could use wire on an H body rear glass without tearing up the edge of the glass and the paint on the hatch. I haven't tried it, but it seems like it would be rough at best.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

The cost of an oscillating tool is nothing compared to the priceless piece of glass its going to save.
    1994 Shadow Sedan. 2.2 N/A, A568 400,000 miles. "the science experiment"
    1987 Shelby CSX #418. Long term rebuild and restore ?

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post
    The cost of an oscillating tool is nothing compared to the priceless piece of glass its going to save.
    Agreed. Find a skilled auto glass technician and have them do it for you. Wire was an acceptable method in the old days of thick glass, wide channels and soft butyl tape adhesive. It doesn't work well on urethane adhesive, especially 30 year old, rock hard adhesive.

Hybrid booster

I'll see what I can find. Unfortunately, there is no "skilled" auto glass technician near me that I'm aware of. We have three shops in my entire city, one straight up turned me away saying he didn't want to "deal with it". Another shop was staffed with all younger guys that looked like greenies to the profession. The third option is a slightly older guy, been in his trade for a while, and suggested using wire. I'm definitely not going to try removing the glass myself, as I have zero experience.

Not many options available to me for "skilled professionals"

I swapped a rusted out hatch on my LeBaron but reused the same glass. If you need a new glass for the H body I have one, but it has no grids for electric rear window defroster.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by dodgeman87 View Post
    I swapped a rusted out hatch on my LeBaron but reused the same glass. If you need a new glass for the H body I have one, but it has no grids for electric rear window defroster.
    Thank you for reaching out, Dodgeman! I just got a call from the glass shop I went with that they have removed my rear panel successfully, I'm picking up the car today to clean up/seal any rust back there that may have developed over the years. Then I'll be driving the car back to the shop to have my window installed and sealed. If for some reason my glass breaks during this process, I will let you know. =]