Thread: A413 - won't shift/move

Mitsu booster

A413 - won't shift/move - Fixed!

Just had my transmission out to fix a broken lip off the rear clutch. Anyway, I've got it back together and installed but it won't move and I can't even feel it shift into gear. I did notice that the converter was about 1/4" away from the flexplate when I was bolting things up - converter sucked tight to the converter but I'm wondering if the pump might not be pumping, thoughts??
    Last edited by aklb; 09-21-2016 at 01:46 PM.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: A413 - won't shift/move

A1/4 of a inch is a bit high but not unheard of. The only way to know if the pump is working is to check the main pressure but it's not a definitive answer if the pump is working. We've seen in service manuals to check the line pressure's, check clutch packs with compressed air. I always felt why bother it's going to have to come out anyhow.

Anyway drop the pan and check that the manual control valve is connected and is moving. Other than that I don't think you have much of a choice but to pull the transmission back out.

I'm guessing that you your car didn't have any forward gears. Did you replace all the seals or just the rubber ones in the rear drum?
    Last edited by marc; 09-18-2016 at 09:50 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] 86 Daytona Turbo Z C/S with a full 89 Shelby swap, back on the road and soon to be painted (and lose that Oggie Fisher black) 83 Porsche 944, 5 speed, all stock. 2014 Toyota Tacoma 4x4, 5 speed, daily driver. 2017 Trek 1.2 bicycle.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

I'd definitely check line pressure and maybe governor pressure. It's a lot easier to check pressure the pulling the transmission not knowing what you're looking for.

Mitsu booster

Thanks for the advice. I've been thinking, I robbed the rear clutch assembly from an 85 transmission and put it in a 89 tranny. At first glance they looked the same but are these incompatible? I did swap the input shafts to the newer style.

Mitsu booster

Just an update, I just ran it for awhile as the converter was installed empty. It now seems to move forward in park, reverse and a little bit in the forward gears?? I know the rear clutch was on the tight side, about .025". Could that be causing the problems?

The park pawl engages when it's in park so I don't think the linkage is messed up, any more ideas what I messed up?

Mitsu booster

Fixed! Turns out I didn't get the c clip on right for the external shift linkage so internally the shift linkage wasn't moving a pin - hard to describe without a picture and not sure how to post them. Thanks!