Thread: 523 shift problem

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor jeff1234's Avatar

523 shift problem

Yesterday when I parked my car, the trans had no problems. When I went to use it again I couldn't shift into first gear. I didn't try to didn't force it, but I could get all of the others 2-3-4-5-R. I used second gear starts to get home and tried putting it in first gear once I was in my garage. It went right in. Has anyone had this experience or know what is happening here. Are rebuild kits available for 523's? Are shift forks available. Is there a link to a troubleshooting guide. Thanks!
    The only substitute for cubic inches is cubic dollars, how fast can you afford to go?

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: 523 shift problem

What kind of condition are the shifter cable bushings in? That would be the first place I would check. If you haven't done it, install a set of booger bushings. $20 is a lot cheaper than a trans rebuild.

Bushings new two years ago. (Polybushings) New custom cables from Cal. Push/Pull last year.
    The only substitute for cubic inches is cubic dollars, how fast can you afford to go?

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

I would double check the adjustment to ensure that all adjusting bolts/nuts are tight. I've had a problem similar to this just before losing the ability to shift a couple of times. The clip which held the ---- cable on had popped off and it was the warning shot before the cable backed out all the way and didn't work.

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

I've had one of the cable clips pop out on me too.
    I've had some booger bushings in mine for probably 15 years and one finally disintegrated.
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Thanks guys, getting underneath the car is on my list today. As it is, I have hose clamps helping to hold the selector cable onto the bracket. The cable had popped off once before and spit the clip out on the road someplace. I had another clip that fit but it was door lock retainer which isn't as stiff. So I'm dubious about the cable coming off. I'm thinking syncronizer. If the shift fork was broken I shouldn't be able to get second gear either.

Checked underneath, all ok. Still would like info on rebuild kits, may do this winter.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jeff1234 View Post
    Checked underneath, all ok. Still would like info on rebuild kits, may do this winter.
    I'm not sure that there are any good kits out there anymore. If someone knows of any, feel free to post up.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

A 'rebuild kit' wont come with any of the hard parts that could be potentially messed up here. An organ donor transmission to salvage parts from is where most parts come from these days..
    1994 Shadow Sedan. 2.2 N/A, A568 400,000 miles. "the science experiment"
    1987 Shelby CSX #418. Long term rebuild and restore ?

I inspected the cable ends on the trans. Everything looked ok. I then removed the console and looked at those ends. They seemed ok but I took off the c-clips to see how the heim joints lined up with the shifter pins in neutral. This is a 90 Shadow shifter. Originally I had put the shifter in neutral and set the heim joints up to match with the pins. What I did this time was to hold the shifter in the first gear position and then adjusted the heim joint to match the pin at the end of its travel. This resulted in better shifting feel. I found a company called Makco transmission parts. They have no kits in stock for 523, 543, 568 but they can get synchro and other parts separately. The front pinion bearing is obsolete as are shift fork pads.