Thread: '85 Omni GLH TII conversion wiring

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

'85 Omni GLH TII conversion wiring

I'm looking into converting my old Omni GLH Turbo (now brother's car) to TII. Many years ago I had converted this car to "2.5L TII" using a large Isuzu NPR intercooler and turbo Caravan wiring/SMEC, but the car has since been reverted back to stock TI with original wiring and LM/PM setup.

I recently built a TII engine and it will probably find it's way into the Omni this winter. This time I'd like to avoid a wiring harness swap and just convert it to run on '87 TII LM/PM electronics. It's been so long since I thought about this particular swap that I've forgotten some of the details though.

If I remember right, I just need to relocate the MAP sensor under hood (and use the newer style MAP/baro unit), add two wires for the newer AIS to the LM connector, and plug in an '87 TII (SL/CSX/Daytona unit) LM. Am I missing anything or is it really going to be that easy? Do I just keep using the log-style TI injector harness?

My older brother is digging the car and wants some more power. It's either the TII swap or maybe a Spearco over-the-trans intercooler kit.

turbo addict

Re: '85 Omni GLH TII conversion wiring

VSS (distance sensor) and power loss light wire also needs to be changed from one connector to the other. Probably should upgrade o2 sensor from one wire to 3/4 while your at it. The TI injector harness will work, but it needs a little tweaking to fit a one or two piece manifold.
    Todd

Hybrid booster

Not sure if you are talking wiring only but there is also the 86+ distributor. And notch on the T1 exhaust manifold.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Thanks! I forgot about that FAQ.

I built a TII engine recently with a swirl head and have it all set up with the newer distributor. Still need to find a TII LM for it though. Looks like the swap is even easier than I remember.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    VSS (distance sensor) and power loss light wire also needs to be changed from one connector to the other. Probably should upgrade o2 sensor from one wire to 3/4 while your at it. The TI injector harness will work, but it needs a little tweaking to fit a one or two piece manifold.
    Todd
    I'll be sure to keep that in mind. Thanks Todd.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    Thanks! I forgot about that FAQ.

I built a TII engine recently with a swirl head and have it all set up with the newer distributor. Still need to find a TII LM for it though. Looks like the swap is even easier than I remember.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll be sure to keep that in mind. Thanks Todd.
    Any turbo 87 LM will work. You'll probably socket it anyway. As far as upgrading the O2 sensor, I would run a WB sensor and use the NB O2 output to feed the signal to the LM in the car. I've had great success with that over the years.

I've got a 4-wire O2 conversion kit from FWDP, so I planned to use that. It's my old black/tan GLH Turbo that my older brother now owns, but I'm still the chief mechanic for it. If it were still my car, it'd be getting a TIII and a bunch of other stuff, but it's not sadly. It's the only car I've ever sold that I've had lingering regrets about.

I do have an '87 L-body TI LM though. I guess I'd prefer to use the SL/CSX LM and have the under hood MAP. The TII I built is fairly stock, but does have an FWDP F2 roller cam, TU 3" swing valve on stock turbo. The car already has a full 3" exhaust and it will get a TU radiator and S60 intercooler. The current A525 is pretty weak, so it's also getting a Cliff built A525/A555. I'm pretty sure it will be enough to scare my brother once he feels what the car can do with 14 psi

I am kinda bummed that I'll be giving up the nice G-head from Todd that the car is running now. For that reason I'm still kicking around the idea of putting the over-the-trans Spearco kit in it. I don't have the LM for that setup either though although as far as I understand it's not absolutely necessary.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

87 L Body logoc module is the same as 1986 and won't work for your TII conversion unless you convert it to a two chip LM like the GLHS used. The LM for every vehicle line except the L Body changed in 1987.
    1987 TI logic modules (Except L) can be socketed and converted to TII. The only differences were on the EPROM.

Hybrid booster

Did you connect the 4 wire O2 sensor? Where did you wire up the power feed from? I am wondering if you can use the diagnostic connector as I think there is a blue wire J2 feed there??

The power feed for the heating element in the O2 sensor should be spliced into the Z1 power feed. It is the black/green wire that provides power to the injectors, ignition coil, fuel pump etc. You should be able to find that wire in the main loom right near the O2 sensor no problem.

I have a 4-wire O2 conversion kit from FWDP, but haven't installed it yet. The single wire O2 in the Omni with the current log TI seems to work OK for now.

Hybrid booster

Ok. Looking at the Fwdp instructions for their 1 wire to 4 wire loom. It says to connect to the blue wire on the solenoid pack. Isn't that the J2 feed. Maybe it doesn't matter? Wiring is not a strong point for me. Ha.

Ohhh can I get the Z1 feed from the positive terminal on the coil??? That would be an easy connection point.
    Last edited by DevoBuzz; 10-01-2016 at 01:57 PM.

Yeah, that should work. I don't see why the blue J2 wouldn't work either really.

boostaholic

PM Sent