Thread: Shelby and Base Fabric Group Buy

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Shelby and Base Fabric Group Buy

I've been looking for the base gray fabric (used on the bolsters) to match the NOS Shelby fabric I have to recover my CSX seats to no avail. While in Portland I decided to go to SMS as a last try to find something that matches as they seem to have the largest selection out of anyone. There was nothing other than a Honda fabric which I already had samples of. It is close but not quite right and I'm picky. Unfortunately it would be the best possible solution without having an original match. While there I got talking with who I assume is the owner and he said he would be willing to do a custom weave to match the base Shelby fabric but would be even more interested to make it with the Shelby lettering as then he would have a larger market to sell to.

What this means is as far as I can tell we have an opportunity to get both the Shelby fabric and the base fabric used on the bolsters to match. The Shebly fabric would be around $95-$99/yd and the plain would be $85-$89/yd. We would need a total of 50-60 yards with deposits between the both for him to consider a run which would probably take about 6 months. Now I do know SMS has a reputation for being slow but even if it took a year this seems to be the only real option that has popped up in a long time and lets be honest with ourselves in how fast we really need it.

If there is interest I will figure out some logistics (mainly me being Canadian and not wanting to take US deposits) and then set up a group buy. Deposits would be 50% of your order that would only be refundable if SMS doesn't pull through minus any fees like Paypal etc.

Please let me know if there is interest and spread the word.

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

Re: Shelby and Base Fabric Group Buy

DJ, How much would we need for the 2 front bucket seats on an Omni?
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor DOHCRT's Avatar

There is the next logical question. How much is needed for each component in a car. (Door panels, front seat, rear seat, etc) How do you measure for this? sq yd, running yd?

Vic in Phoenix
    dohcrt@cox.net

91 Spirit R/T x4
    92 Spirit R/T x2
    89 CSX
    88 CSX-TIII
    84 Rampage TII
    97 Ram (Buzzin Half Dozen)
    69 Dart GT 'Vert

I don't know any material amounts for specific vehicles. I've only cover one set of recaros and that was just the non Shelby portion. I made enough mistakes being my first try that I couldn't even give you an accurate number on that. Fabric is measured by the running yard and I think it is 54" wide but I can verify.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

I'm down for enough to do two 89 CSXs. Let me know when you're ready to take payment.

Hybrid booster

I'm interested. Someone just posted they have the material to do the seats, for $1200. I bet your price will be much lower. Hopefully I'll have the money when your ready for deposits.

Hybrid booster

i would be interested in some, mainly the Shelby fabric for a set of recaros. but currently i need about a yard of both fabrics to fix my driver seat

turbo addict

Mopar318 is the only member I know of that has actually recovered the Recaros himself, says you would need about 2 yards of Shelby fabric and 3 yards of base gray. From a thread when I tried to do this http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...abric-Interest

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

I'm in for enough to do 2-3 cars-and my living room couch It's a sectional so whats that, 10 yards?
    Also lets go ahead and enact a ban on the first pundit that starts speculating about licensing or authorization from SAI, theres a company willing to do it, lets get it done and not worry about all the pie-in-the-sky what if's that would be pure hypothesis at this point Talking to you too ebay seller with the abbrieviation initials S.M's. Just move along, nothing to see here...

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Wait, does that mean you ban your own comment? DJ, I'm in for enough Shelby fabric to do 4 front seats, which may not be a lot. If we have to do both fabrics for the buy, then 4 front seats.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by 1BADVAN View Post
    Mopar318 is the only member I know of that has actually recovered the Recaros himself, says you would need about 2 yards of Shelby fabric and 3 yards of base gray. From a thread when I tried to do this http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...abric-Interest
    I've read every thread I could find on the internets. It may have helped that I had a NOS sample with me. I didn't even go in trying to do this, I was just looking for a match. The salesman took my sample to the big cheese for some suggestions and he came out and approached me about reproducing it. In followup emails he still seems on board as long as we don't mind the wait which I don't if it means getting my fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    Wait, does that mean you ban your own comment? DJ, I'm in for enough Shelby fabric to do 4 front seats, which may not be a lot. If we have to do both fabrics for the buy, then 4 front seats.
    You don't "have" to buy both but I don't see why you wouldn't if you wanted to recover a set. The weave is the same as the light gray has a dark gray/black strand in it. The Shelby letters are just programming your weaving machine to not put the light gray strands in where you want the letter to show. This is why we just need 50-60yd total of both combined. Once set up it is easy to do either.

I'll start a group buy early next week with a 30 day time limit so money can be refunded with no PayPal fees if need be.

Well I don't know if I would want black seats and just the Shelby fabric, like I have now. I'm up for a change though.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Hybrid booster

50-60 yards of both combined?

The recaro seats use a lot more of the plain fabric than the standard seats do (recaro has fabric back, std has vinyl back/sides), but the standard seats require a little more of the lettered material (head rest is lettered). Based on all of the seats I've had done, I would guess about 4 yards of the lettered for an interior (1.5-2 for front seats, 1.5-2 for back seat and .5 for door panels). Standard interior cars may need a little more for the headrests. They would also only need 1 yard of the plain fabric (only needed for part of the front bolsters). The recaro cars would require about 3 yards of it to cover the entire bolsters and backs of the seat.

So Std interior car folks, figure 4-5 yards lettered/1 yard plain, Recaro car folks figure 4 yards lettered/3 yards plain. That's a rough avg of 6 yards, or 10 interiors required for a group buy.

Hybrid booster

Cool Re: Shelby and Base Fabric Group Buy

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    I'm in for enough to do 2-3 cars-and my living room couch It's a sectional so whats that, 10 yards?
    Also lets go ahead and enact a ban on the first pundit that starts speculating about licensing or authorization from SAI, theres a company willing to do it, lets get it done and not worry about all the pie-in-the-sky what if's that would be pure hypothesis at this point Talking to you too ebay seller with the abbrieviation initials S.M's. Just move along, nothing to see here...
    I wrote them about doing this a little while ago and they referred me to SDAC. So that tells me we are OK to do this, as they are not the least bit interested.