Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Terrible Experience With Rock Auto

turbo addict

Terrible Experience With Rock Auto

I have liked ordering from them in the past, but I definitely will look for other places to buy now, I ordered a Gates belt for my shadow, receipt says Gates and everything but they ship me a crappy looking belt under a different name., so i try to return it online which doesn't give a way to describe this problem when "then they say the manufacturer says it should fit Its not our problem we will refund you 50%" What kind of super crappy customer service is this.

Then when i call the guy on the phone treats me like an idiot when i said the online thing didn't work because i don't want to have to pay 50% because they shipped me a different brand, the guy continues to argue and says because it was under private label they can ship me any brand they want claiming it was made by gates, but this belt is either super old or just a crappy belt.

Made me super pissed and just hung up on the guy because he wouldn't listen, so just beware if you ever try to ask questions about their mistake

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

Re: Terrible Experience With Rock Auto

Make sure you read the description. Many times they are private label and it can be under any name.
    Now with that said, I have never had a problem like that. I just returned some tie rods last week and never had a problem. Hopefully it isn't a sign of things to come.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

turbo addict

USPS lost the package of $100 of shocks. Rockauto sent me a second set right after I called them.

I highly recommend Rockauto.

Yes, private label means any brand.

Garrett booster

I have bought items from Rockauto a few times and they had shipped me the wrong stuff. I ordered an A/C line and they sent me an evaporator instead. They said they would send me the A/C line if I ship back the evaporator, at my cost. Yeah Rockauto sucks.

Garrett booster

Iv had them send me the wrong brake hose, for a complete different vehicle. Of course they wanted me to pay to ship it back before they would send me the correct one. So i said screw it and went to my local parts depot. I still order from them because their usually so much cheaper.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor mopar-tech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 1BADVAN View Post
    I have liked ordering from them in the past, but I definitely will look for other places to buy now, I ordered a Gates belt for my shadow, receipt says Gates and everything but they ship me a crappy looking belt under a different name., so i try to return it online which doesn't give a way to describe this problem when "then they say the manufacturer says it should fit Its not our problem we will refund you 50%" What kind of super crappy customer service is this.
    I pointed this out in another thread- They freely admit they will substitute at any time and tough cookies.

Working on clearing the decks.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Never had any problems with Rockauto.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] 86 Daytona Turbo Z C/S with a full 89 Shelby swap, back on the road and soon to be painted (and lose that Oggie Fisher black) 83 Porsche 944, 5 speed, all stock. 2014 Toyota Tacoma 4x4, 5 speed, daily driver. 2017 Trek 1.2 bicycle.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

Private label and Dealer Closeout are usually old stock they bought out from a warehouse or supplier. I've still had better luck getting the correct parts from Rock than from my local parts store.

Quote Originally Posted by ajakeski View Post
    Private label and Dealer Closeout are usually old stock they bought out from a warehouse or supplier. I've still had better luck getting the correct parts from Rock than from my local parts store.
    I ordered a premium Standard Industries O2 sensor and got a Bosch unit. When I called up to complain they stated they will substitute at any time with a "comparable part" after much badgering and a few threats they took the unit back. This isn't the first time its happened.

Private label and close outs anything goes and you take your chances... I'm not referring to that.

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

Quote Originally Posted by mopar-tech View Post
    I ordered a premium Standard Industries O2 sensor and got a Bosch unit. When I called up to complain they stated they will substitute at any time with a "comparable part" after much badgering and a few threats they took the unit back. This isn't the first time its happened.

Private label and close outs anything goes and you take your chances... I'm not referring to that.
    I agree. If it says a specific part, I expect that part. If it is just a generic replacement part, I'll live with it being a substitute. Be careful children and read the fine print.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by marc View Post
    Never had any problems with Rockauto.
    Me either, great to deal with

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Ive only had one or two small issues and they were addressed quickly and painlessly.

Side of my fridge:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1154.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	457.3 KB 
ID:	59074

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

turbo addict

I had to return a power steering hose because it wasn't to correct one. I had a decent experience with it, they sent me a return label via email, I reboxed the item and took it to a FedEx store. They shipped me the correct part as soon as they got my return.

Now, that hose is the one that failed on me (still on the car leaking like no tomorrow), so I'm going to get one made. I'm sick of crappy hydraulic hoses. I don't blame RA, for that, BTW. Just a crappy part. Not their fault.

They sent me a tie rod end that in no way ever fit a Chrysler product. I had to go down the street to Orielly's. When I called about a return I got the "hold please" routine.It was only $7 but still. I've never been real impressed, the shipping usually drives the price up to comperable stores.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

While it may not always cost effective due to the shipping, I still buy from them. I like the idea of being able to choose the brand and quality of the parts. I much rather have a Wagner brake rotor then a Duralast brake rotor.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] 86 Daytona Turbo Z C/S with a full 89 Shelby swap, back on the road and soon to be painted (and lose that Oggie Fisher black) 83 Porsche 944, 5 speed, all stock. 2014 Toyota Tacoma 4x4, 5 speed, daily driver. 2017 Trek 1.2 bicycle.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by black86glhs View Post
    I agree. If it says a specific part, I expect that part. If it is just a generic replacement part, I'll live with it being a substitute. Be careful children and read the fine print.
    Agree

Oh and the latest?

I ordered sway bar bushings for my sons car. Rock Auto states on their website that those same bushings fit a Ford truck! They fell out of the car inside 5 miles.

Rock Auto claimed they have no reason to issue a return tag since the manufacturer claims they will work for the application!

Look up 89 Shelby Daytona swaybar, 1.25" bushings.

I order A LOT of parts since we have 12 vehicles here and I work on customers cars time to time so that is a lot of volume for things to go wrong.. and they do.

Sounds like a good time to contact your states attorney general. If their stated policy is not what is practiced they are subject to scrutiny. Refer them to this thread covering customers in several states. Rock will pay attention since it is cheaper than fighting states that have all the money needed.

Re: OKAY Experience With Rock Auto

I ordered a power steering hose for my '89 Chrysler Lebaron. Put in right model and engine. Sent me a belt that I thought was to short ( 38"), but I was going to Memphis in two days so we bump started the belt on. On the way back from Memphis the belt broke. Stopped at Chrysler dealer near Champaign, Il. and they asked me all the same questions but with one additional question. Did I have a plastic or metal reservoir ? The metal reservoir uses a 43" belt ( No wonder other belt was so tight ). So their computer program missed that and I got the wrong belt. Other than that I am pretty happy with them. I did email them with a note about this but don't know if they made any changes.
    I did return a oil pressure sender two weeks ago that was the wrong one and they refunded my money. This was the only return I've made in about five years I have been using them . So I'm pretty happy.

J.R.

Hybrid booster

I order a lot of stuff from them and cannot recall having any problems. I just installed 2 brand new cv shafts I got from them for my Spirit R/T and they were perfect.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast