Thread: 02 Neon R/T : SOHC-T

Mitsu booster

02 Neon R/T : SOHC-T

Browsing the forum and google didn't yield much results, so I'm curious to know...

Any decent 2.0 SOHC 2nd gen Neons (02 R/T with manual) successfully fabricate a turbocharged setup for there Neon?
    Was there ever a reputable vendor that made a reliable affordable "all in one" kit?
    Read about using an exhaust adapter flange, incorporating a rrfpr {or hp tuning if going modernized tuning} , repinning a socket etc, but none for a whole kit and caboodle.

Most that go turbo tend to just go with the SRT-4 swap and call it a day.
    However, if there's a more economical option, I'm interested to know about it.

Big hp/tq numbers isn't the goal, but if it ends up that way, not going to pass that up!

Is the 2.0L just not favored for the boosted needs?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor jonnymopar's Avatar

Re: 02 Neon R/T : SOHC-T

Look up Erick Steinmaier at ASP Turbo:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/ASP-T...34986509904578

His specialty is turbocharging 2nd gen 2.0L Neons. He's been doing it for a while now with great results. I *believe* all of his setups are running MegaSquirt, but I could be wrong.

If you want to re-tune with the stock ECU, Kevin Sykes could help you out: http://sykedecutuning.com/store/inde...te=common/home

Once upon a time, SRT-4 swaps were $2500 at least, so plenty of people boosted the 2.0L instead. Combing over neons.org and 2gn.org will reveal different paths people took when the 2.0L turbo setup was more popular. In my opinion, with the ability to find the SRT-4/PTGT setup for under a grand, it's tough to justify messing with the 2.0L.
    Jon J.

1989 Daytona ES 2.4L DOHC
    2003 Neon SXT - gone but never forgotten

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is!

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Not talking you out of it, but when you do the 2.4 Turbo swap, with all stock components, you get en engine that can reliably handle 350hp without breaking a sweat, short of the turbocharger itself of course, which isn't good for much more than 280 if pushed to its limits.
    The draw of an engine for which off-the-shelf parts to make 600hp are available is tough. Beyond 300hp the 2.0L block itself, with it's open deck design, becomes a liability. Sure, many have made alot of power with the 2.0, but why bother?
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Mitsu booster

ASP was informative,but is very limited for sohc turbo parts. I will keep my eyes peeled for a srt deal.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor shmedley's Avatar

Hahn racecraft makes a Neon turbo kit although looks like its on closeout so who knows if they have any left
    Thanks Brad S. SDAC National Proud Member SDAC Chicago Proud Member 14 Ram 1500 86 Shelby Charger "Chicago Stock"

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by shmedley View Post
    Hahn racecraft makes a Neon turbo kit although looks like its on closeout so who knows if they have any left
    Hahn never made one for the magnum 2.0.We felt for a mass produced kit the higher compression ratio would be too much for someone that didnt know how to tune properly.Only base 2.0 had a kit.

Mitsu booster

Were folks having that hard of a time tuning 2nd gen neons?

Mitsu booster

Is the 2002 neon capable in being swapped to the NGC3 pcm as simple as a plug and play with the 02 R/T flash or a made up ***"N/A" SRT*** [Yes I used n/a with srt! ] tune using the stock untouched 2002 harness?

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by "_" View Post
    Is the 2002 neon capable in being swapped to the NGC3 pcm as simple as a plug and play with the 02 R/T flash or a made up ***"N/A" SRT*** [Yes I used n/a with srt! ] tune using the stock untouched 2002 harness?
    No. The NGC used a different crank sensor and reluctor wheel.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    No. The NGC used a different crank sensor and reluctor wheel.
    dangit

Mitsu booster

Having a spare disco potato (needs rebuild) from an eight valve TM, and looking at staying n/a but going with a camshaft upgrade... which would be the better path to travel?

I could do the typical mechanical RRFPR, recirc/wastegate controller for positive air psi and change out the plugs for a colder range to accommodate the turbo route without mandating an electronic means for tuning. Any thoughts or experiences from those that have gone this route? Is there even a decent camshaft available if turbocharging is just not a realistic option? How does this particular pcm respond when the engine is modified heavily?