Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lightened Crankshaft advantages/disadvantages?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Re: Lightened Crankshaft advantages/disadvantages?

Quote Originally Posted by GLHS60 View Post
    Hey Alan, do Masi cranks fit a regular common block??

I really like the full counter weights, even if they weigh more.

2.4 crank is looks almost fully counter weighted but they probably don't fit common blocks??

Thanks
    Randy
    So get this, there were FOUR different FORGED cranks available on an 89 Masi TC(any wonder why Chysler 'lost money' on each one?)

1) Early build non common block 8V

2) Late build (after June 88, also got suspension upgrades and at least a dozen other changes that I know of) common block 8V

3) Early build non common block 16V

4) Late build common block 16V(also got those running change updates)

All forged, even in the autos, so yes, common block Masi 8V or 16V cranks will fit in a standard common block. That crank is HEAVY Randy but once it's turning it is very smooth. I discovered back in 96 when I bought my first whole Masi TC in San Francisco area that you CANNOT stall a motor with that crank in it. Go ahead and let the clutch out first before applying gas, it wont stall.

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Almost as a matter of physics, there is a conflict between accelerating a rotating assembly and running it at very high rotational speeds. Weight is good once you're spinning but it's bad in getting there
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

turbo addict

The Masi crank weighs 53# (verified on 2 different scales now). If you need the engine to transition from one rpm range to another very quickly (think motorcycle), then a light crank is for you. NVH might go up (the only reason I can come up with as to why the Masi crank weighs so much...to reduce NVH). They can even work well in drag racing, but your launch method will certainly have to change, and possibly your shifting strategy as well.

turbo addict

Hey Alan, do Masi cranks fit a regular common block??

I really like the full counter weights, even if they weigh more.

2.4 crank is looks almost fully counter weighted but they probably don't fit common blocks??

Thanks
    Randy
    Randy,
    The Masi cranks are nice, BUT they use a unique rod bearing width journal size. In the past, very difficult if not impossible to locate NOS rod bearings. Because of this, most Masi owners install a steel TII/TIII/TIV crank and use their Masi crank and rods as paperweights. I think Rick D has found a rod bearing from a different application that works with the Casar (masi rods).
    Todd
    Last edited by 4 l-bodies; 08-04-2016 at 03:58 PM.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor GLHS60's Avatar

I appreciate the input guys, anyone have any pics of a Masi DOHC crank??

Thanks
    Randy

There is no logical reason to call an Engine a motor.

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    86 GLHS 373 : SOLD, but never forgotten
    89 Turbo Minivan
    83 Turbo Rampage : SOLD
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

turbo addict

I appreciate the input guys, anyone have any pics of a Masi DOHC crank??

Thanks
    Randy
    See attachments
    Todd
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1689.JPG 
Views:	183 
Size:	190.4 KB 
ID:	59089   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1687.JPG 
Views:	163 
Size:	241.2 KB 
ID:	59088  

turbo addict

Thanks for the pictures, Todd!

Hybrid booster

Are the non common block Masi 8v cranks heavier than normal? Do the 8v cranks have different rod bearings? I am curious because I recently bought a T2 8v engine from an 89 Masi TC. It is a non common block with an 87 casting date on the block. It does have a forged crank.

turbo addict

Masi 8v is just a standard 88 TII block with the TII forged crank and rods with cast pistons. Nothing really special about it.

turbo addict

I figured I'd chime in on the Masi rod bearings as I have a little bit of recent experience with them. The journal diameter is the same as any other 2.2/2.5, but it's narrower. Also, the big end of the Casar rods has a larger diameter than the other rods. What this means is the bearing shell itself is thicker, but its width is narrower. I bet that if it were possible to get a rod that had the same big end diameter, but narrowed that bearings would become a bit easier to source.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor GLHS60's Avatar

Good info!!

Do the Masi cranks have deep rolled radius, or negative fillets like the regular 2.2/2.5 cranks??

Thanks
    Randy

There is no logical reason to call an Engine a motor.

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    86 GLHS 373 : SOLD, but never forgotten
    89 Turbo Minivan
    83 Turbo Rampage : SOLD
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    I figured I'd chime in on the Masi rod bearings as I have a little bit of recent experience with them. The journal diameter is the same as any other 2.2/2.5, but it's narrower. Also, the big end of the Casar rods has a larger diameter than the other rods. What this means is the bearing shell itself is thicker, but its width is narrower. I bet that if it were possible to get a rod that had the same big end diameter, but narrowed that bearings would become a bit easier to source.

If I were a part number guy, I'd tell you guys the Renault bearing that accomplishes this. Yes, it has to be narrowed about .050 but it solves the NS1 problem... I've had a few sets made but it was years ago.

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    I had about 6.5 lbs taken out of the non-common-block-converted-to-common-block forged 2l IMSA crank Im going to run(someday) in the 9500RPM Masi Motor. The project is nowhere near ready (tho I do have a bunch of the parts,still need rods/pistons made) and I waited A YEAR for that shop to finish modding that crank. One of the reasons was that they do all of DCR's cranks. About once a month I would go in to 'check on the progress' and there were always a half dozen cranks that said DCR on them. It's a well respected shop in Santa Fe Springs, CA. Surprisingly primitive in there but if they have the tooling and the knowhow, good parts can be built I suppose. Before visiting the shop a few times I never knew that cranks are 'trued up' on a jig with a hammer and a brass punch. Looks really brutal but they just hit the thing, turn it over in the jig by hand and read the measurements on the dial indicator.

So I finally went to check out this motor. The crank in question doesn't look anything at all like yours, and it is NOT a DCR crank.

I don't have pictures but it is basically the counterweight cut so that it is only a wedge shape (triangle) is left as wide as the crank journal at the base and extends to a point from there about as far as the counterweight used to be.

Very hard to explain but the counterweight has been 80% machined off. Not knife edged like your crank. Never seen anything like it. Not sure how long it would last, but I'm not going to be the test mule.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12