Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lancer Shelby

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: Lancer Shelby

I'd like to see at least -.5* camber on each side and I'll just make the caster as positive as possible while being equal. I wouldn't want it to be more than -1.5* negative camber. That's a bit extreme for the majority of the driving I do.

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Do you like a bit of toe out?
    I think thatvis pretty much what mine came out, need to look at the sheet.
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

I honestly try to get it as close to 0 as possible.

OK, I took a pretty good stab at the alignment today. -1.5* camber. It looked like about +2* caster and almost 1/8" toe in. I raised the front of the car up about 7/8ths" I'm going to drive the car for a few miles tomorrow and see how everything settles since it's a new front suspension essentially.

Tonight I installed an old fan/shroud assy I made years ago for my black Omni. It's not the nicest thing in town, but that fan moves way more air than stock while taking up less room and pulling less amps. It should really help to keep the car cool at SDAC.

Replaced all the valve stem seals today. What a pain that is. I dropped them about a million times. Finally found a good method by using a magnet on the front side of the valve stem and sliding the back keeper in place. Then Joy would come in from the front using the magnet to place the front keeper. Hopefully the car won't puff smoke on startup after sitting for a few minutes. The intake seals on #2 #3 and #4 were up a little, but nothing too bad.

Pulled the turbo with the head still on today so I could install a new oil line, and coolant lines as there weren't any. I tidied up a few things under the hood, but pulling the turbo, etc. takes forever of course. Hope to have it all back together in the next couple of hours.

turbo addict

I've done it a few times in my Omni but that car had no power steering pump in the way.

Replaced the odometer gears today with a set from Odometergears.com. They are great and I'll be glad to have the odo working again. The car has about 155K on it now. Next up I'll probably look into replacing the turbo since it burns some oil from there.

I pulled off the turbo and rebuilt it recently on account of the fact that it was leaking oil from the compressor seal. I think it might have been leaking just a tad from the turbine side causing some burnt oil.

I noticed when I installed an NOS coolant return line and noticed that the head didn't have a threaded hole in the oil galley for the bracket which holds the oil and coolant line. I now think this is why the coolant line sprung a leak in Seattle. Upon further inspection, I believe the head to be of Chinese origin. Gary paid way too much for a Chinese head when he had that done for sure. If problems persist, I have a head which I'm porting that will go on.

With the turbo rebuild I decided to relocate the air filter some to get it pretty much behind the battery for some cooler air. I also installed a VNT upper IC hose to make things look nicer. I would have installed a later model air box, but I wanted to keep the CAI because I know how much Gary and his wife liked it. I also noticed that going from the same air filter on a stock air box hose to the 90 VNT air box setup in CSX #497 controlled the boost spike I was having. That tells me that there must have been a significant restriction when going to the stock box.

Finally, and perhaps most exciting, I installed a cheater S60 IC which I procured from 5 Digits. It has the stock style upper IC end tank unlike the angled version which came on the actual S60 ICs. While I doubt I'll notice any performance gain from this in the real world, I think it's super cool.

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Cool!
    Do you have some fresh pics?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Quote Originally Posted by wheming View Post
    Cool!
    Do you have some fresh pics?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk
    Seconded
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

I'll go out and take some in a bit. Unfortunately, I don't think the moniker of "Dirty Lancer" is in danger of fading away any time soon. The paint continues to peel and I continue to chase my tail in regard to this oil smell. I'm strongly leaning toward the head at this point.

Here are the requested pics. I didn't pull out a spare lower IC hose to compare, but I can assure you, they're really darn close.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4160.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	64892

I need to find a good place to mount that catch can, and I certainly need to do something with the air filter. The one in Joy's Daytona has jumped up to $100. Ouch. I'm half tempted to run a pipe over to the passenger side to pick up air in the fender in front of the tire. I would think that to be a bit of a high pressure area, but it might be too far forward of the tire. and too high up. It would certainly be a way colder source of air though. I doubt the air could lose those gains over the path it would need to take to get to the turbo. Does anyone have numbers on this?

Name:	IMG_4165.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	64891Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4173.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	64890Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4174.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	64889

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor GLHS60's Avatar

Do you still have the original T-II Turbo inlet hose?

That's the one that is used instead of a BOV.

Thanks
    Randy

There is no logical reason to call an Engine a motor.

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    86 GLHS 373 : SOLD, but never forgotten
    89 Turbo Minivan
    83 Turbo Rampage : SOLD
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

Quote Originally Posted by GLHS60 View Post
    Do you still have the original T-II Turbo inlet hose?

That's the one that is used instead of a BOV.

Thanks
    Randy
    I have a few of them lying around, but I think I'll come up with something else soon enough.

I just started to put the Great Lakes chapter club car head to good use after having it for many years now. It's ported, but really just on the intake side from what I can see. Perhaps a light cleanup on the exhaust side, but nothing much to note there. The valves appear to be stock diameter and the springs are red and large. I have a MP Purlpe cam in there with slider followers. I will be putting a ported two piece and exhaust on it, and then it will go on the Lancer.

I did attempt to seal up some leaking bolts in the Chinese head which is still on it, but whomever originally put the head on barely tightened down the intake bolts. They've worked loose and I can't get to the ones above the turbo which are the ones that seem to be leaking a bit of oil. Knowing that the Chinese heads flow very poorly, I can't justify putting it back on there so the Great Lakes head will go on, and live on. If anyone has information about the head I would love to hear it.

I'll try to turn this into a video, so be on the lookout for upates.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Here are the requested pics. I didn't pull out a spare lower IC hose to compare, but I can assure you, they're really darn close.

Name:	IMG_4160.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	64892

I need to find a good place to mount that catch can, and I certainly need to do something with the air filter. The one in Joy's Daytona has jumped up to $100. Ouch. I'm half tempted to run a pipe over to the passenger side to pick up air in the fender in front of the tire. I would think that to be a bit of a high pressure area, but it might be too far forward of the tire. and too high up. It would certainly be a way colder source of air though. I doubt the air could lose those gains over the path it would need to take to get to the turbo. Does anyone have numbers on this?

Name:	IMG_4165.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	64891Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4173.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	64890Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4174.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	64889
    Gus did air temperature testing in and around the engine bay a long time ago and I *thought* it was documented.

I had my one catch can "mounted" exactly where yours is currently for years...worked just fine and I can assure you was not as robust!

Thanks for the lead on the air temps. I'll look for that. I'm thinking the catch can might stay there, but we'll see once I get everything ready to go back in the car. There will some changes necessary just due to the parts I have on hand.

This is the unique non BOV style T-II inlet hose.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	u7N23gi.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	11.4 KB 
ID:	64994

This is the Nissan 300ZX non BOV Turbo inlet hose.

Notice any similarity?

What do they know?

Name:	u1NoRNg.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	3.7 KB 
ID:	64995

Thanks
    Randy

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    89 Turbo Minivan
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

Why do you think they do that Randy? I've always thought it was mainly for NVH reasons.

Right, to absorb the chatter noise of closing the TB during boost.

Thanks
    Randy

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    89 Turbo Minivan
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast