Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Lancer Shelby

turbo addict

Re: Lancer Shelby

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Thanks for the lead on the air temps. I'll look for that. I'm thinking the catch can might stay there, but we'll see once I get everything ready to go back in the car. There will some changes necessary just due to the parts I have on hand.
    One other thing about the intake to the turbo: I know a LOT of people say it doesn't matter, that's what an intercooler is for, etc. Well, unless the intake is SUPER restrictive, that density difference due to heat is MASSIVE. I have always thought this way, but if you watch any Gale Banks stuff on You Tube, he HAMMERS on the "density" thing, and he is 100% correct!

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    One other thing about the intake to the turbo: I know a LOT of people say it doesn't matter, that's what an intercooler is for, etc. Well, unless the intake is SUPER restrictive, that density difference due to heat is MASSIVE. I have always thought this way, but if you watch any Gale Banks stuff on You Tube, he HAMMERS on the "density" thing, and he is 100% correct!
    I agree. I would say it is more important to find an area that is large enough for a sufficiently sized filter to get cool air. If that is a high pressure area, that's a bonus.
    Everythign I have read says that the cooler the air entering the turbo, the more efficient the entire system will be.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Well, I got the car running again today. Everything seems to be in order with the exception of the fact that I think the chip either vibrated out of the socket, or my board died. That's easy enough to fix though. I brought it up to temp and set the timing. I'm letting it cool off now and then I'll retorque the head studs after it's dead cool.

The head retorqued and new board socketed, I was putting on a few miles before the car decided it didn't want to idle. I think I have a bad injector in #1 which is causing it to run too rich. I ordered up a set of +40s and will make a new injector wiring harness for the car while I'm at it. I presume this will solve my problem and allow for the car to run in top shape. I can tell from how the other three plugs look that the car will need more fuel and that's a good thing in my book for sure.

I did a quick compression test on the car in cyl #1 today. I wanted to know that it wasn't low compression causing the problem in #1. I would be very aggravated to pull the upper half of the intake, along with the injectors, etc. etc. only to find out that a piston cracked or some such. 150PSI in cylinder number 1 is good enough for me!

Finished up the new injector harness and installed the +40s today. Even with a cal scaled for +20s the car ran really well. I put in some 92 octane and the car doesn't show any knock now like it did briefly with the 87 that was left over in the tank. The 89 MP cal is very aggressive. You can really tell that the engineers had begun to have faith in the SMEC's ability to pull timing as needed.

Well, I had another setback, but I'm once again on the road. The turbo was leaking oil precipitously. I finally figured out that it was coming from where the backing plate meets the CHRA. I pulled the turbo with the head on today, tore down the turbo, replaced that seal, and reinstalled the turbo. It only took about 6 hours total, which I'm pleased with since I took quite a few breaks in between stints of working. I just got back from a lengthy 40mi or so drive. I have the same amount of oil I left with. I'm calling that a wrap.

Next will be dialing back the timing a bit so the CEL doesn't come on so often.

turbo addict

I always pulled the turbo without pulling the head. I'm stubborn.

Quote Originally Posted by thedon809 View Post
    I always pulled the turbo without pulling the head. I'm stubborn.
    I've done it that way many times because I'm cheap. I'm now good enough at it that I can do it in about the same time it takes to pull the head, and I don't need a second person to help me take the head off and drop it back on.

I installed a WBO2 in the car today and I am using the narrow band output to feed the stock computer. The Analog 1 input to the MPSciLink is now occupied by the WBO2 output and the crappy tablet I'm using actually worked really well when I went for a drive.

Now the only problem with all of this is that for some reason, the timing retard is very high even at low load. I was getting between .48 and .82 volts at idle when I returned from my trip. That seems high to me, but I need to do some research before I get ahead of myself.

ETA: After looking at the MP TII values for the knock table, I'm wondering how extreme that is. It seems like it's quite a bit higher than the stock table, and I have raised my timing almost to MP levels. Time to take the timing back to stock and go from there I think.

So, as it turns out, I accidentally swapped the narrow band output with the knock sensor signal. Oops. Fortunately, no harm was done and a quick repair has things running correctly. The head/intake/exhaust mainfold/S60 IC swap is clearly flowing a lot more air, as the clutch now slips pretty easily when it gets into boost. I just finished up a new video detailing the first part of the head swap. The portion where I make the injector wiring harness, and the turbo rebuild are still to come. I can't imagine what this car will do with some real boost in it, but frankly, I'm worried what I'll break next. In all reality, I'll most likely put a new clutch in it, fix the AC cutout relay problem I have and run the car hard at 13 or 14PSI for next year. I'd like to really enjoy driving this thing and put some miles on it again.

Well, nearly 3 years later, it's time for another update.

I don't believe I specifically mentioned it in the thread, but I did install the old Great Lakes Chapter head on the lancer. I had a bad injector, so I replaced them with a "S60" set from TU. Based on the flow data they provided they are about 57lb injectors. I installed a new TU 6 puck unsprung hub clutch and also some PT lifters. Since Joy dropped one of the shims into the oil pan, I also pulled that, inspected everything, and buttoned it back up. The car also has some of the Comp Cams springs now too.

I put in a new cal tonight scaled for 55lb injectors and with all of the base, part, and full throttle fuel set to be approximately what the yellow line is on MPTune. I just took it for a drive, and it was excellent. I need to throw a new set of plugs in it and do some logging with the MPSciLink which I now have working in the car. I'm hoping to get it running well enough that I feel comfortable putting AC in it again and driving it on a daily basis in the summers. It would be an exceptional ride if I could get it to that point.

Looking forward to seeing it at SDAC! Bringing mine, so it will be nice to have some competition in the car show 👍

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    Looking forward to seeing it at SDAC! Bringing mine, so it will be nice to have some competition in the car show 👍

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
    This is the white one. The Shelby Lancer is another matter all together. I might rip out the dash and go through all of the wiring in there this week. I'm at a loss with that car!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234