Thread: Lotus casting core plug questions

Garrett booster

Lotus casting core plug questions

In an effort to preserve original lotus head castings I'm curious as to what the latest thinking is on leaving the original steel core plugs in place, that is untouched as installed from factory.
    Is it's advisable to loosen the steel plugs(remove them, clean the head with a tap, re-install as loose as possible)? What kind of risk am I looking at? Are they able to be re installed and not have an issue with leaking? Recommended sealant? Etc... This is one of my concerns, the other being the removal. I've read they can be very tight. To be honest I've been afraid to touch them. Also keep in mind they're lower mileage lotus castings, one with 65k and the other with 35k, so in my opinion they're still in the window for failure.

Has anyone heard of a head cracking after having the plugs loosened? I'd hate to up my risk due to touching them.

I have read through the old threads and have my thinking is that torque is what's responsible for the cracking issue. I've also read that the amount of thread showing isn't necessarily an indication of how tight they may or may not be.

So in short is it best left alone? If it's not broke don't fix it, right?...but this is a TIII so I'm not sure this rule applies.

We Todd D dot D Turbo Mopar Staff sdac guy's Avatar

Re: Lotus casting core plug questions

Quote Originally Posted by spirit1991 View Post
    In an effort to preserve original lotus head castings I'm curious as to what the latest thinking is on leaving the original steel core plugs in place, that is untouched as installed from factory.
    Is it's advisable to loosen the steel plugs(remove them, clean the head with a tap, re-install as loose as possible)? What kind of risk am I looking at? Are they able to be re installed and not have an issue with leaking? Recommended sealant? Etc... This is one of my concerns, the other being the removal. I've read they can be very tight. To be honest I've been afraid to touch them. Also keep in mind they're lower mileage lotus castings, one with 65k and the other with 35k, so in my opinion they're still in the window for failure.

Has anyone heard of a head cracking after having the plugs loosened? I'd hate to up my risk due to touching them.

I have read through the old threads and have my thinking is that torque is what's responsible for the cracking issue. I've also read that the amount of thread showing isn't necessarily an indication of how tight they may or may not be.

So in short is it best left alone? If it's not broke don't fix it, right?...but this is a TIII so I'm not sure this rule applies.
    Since nobody else has chimed in ...

When I bought my Spirit R/T a year or so ago, I checked to see what condition my core plugs were in. The valley where the plugs are at is bone dry with no cracking or other deterioration evident. My car has just under 80K miles on it.

I have a good friend that worked at Chrysler as an engineer and is very familiar with the problems these plugs develop. I told him that I still had the stock iron plugs in the head and that it didn't leak. He said the best thing I could do to prevent problems was to unscrew them, clean the threads, put on a layer of teflon tape and screw them back in. But to torque them a bit "softer" than the original spec.

Chrysler claimed that the heating/cooling cycles of the engines over time caused the cracking since the iron plugs expand at a different rate than the surrounding aluminum of the cylinder head. My buddy thinks that they were also installed too tight, contributing to the problem.

So, there's my $.02.

Barry
    86 Shelby Lancer Prototype
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T

For your questions about SDAC, please contact BadAssPerformance

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Somewhere I thought I heard there was a 'thread count' spec, that is how many threads are showing on your factory plugs tell you how hard they were turned in and how much stress they are putting on the casting. I've had 4 TIII motored cars, all were cracked to some degree so I guess I'm one of the lucky ones

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Garrett booster

Thanks guys! I'm still concerned about the actual removal process and how the re-installation will go.
    Anyone happen to have a pic of a removed plug? Curious as to how long they are

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

I've had quite a few TIII heads over the years and have been pretty lucky to only have one that was cracked. Most of them still have the steel plugs. One was repaired once before (before I got it). If it hasn't cracked I would just leave it alone.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

How do you get the plugs out without stripping the plugs and having to drill them out or something? I tried taking the ones loose in my 2.5 TIII that's going in the Lebaron, but they are so tight even with the correct size allen they want to round out.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor DOHCRT's Avatar

For those plugs I have been able to get out, I clean up the threads and coat them with teflon pipe dope and thread them in by hand. Once the car is running and up to temp, I tighten the plugs just enough to stop any leakage. It doesn't require much torque and I haven't had any leaks across any of my cars since using this method.

One note about how tight these plugs are when installed; When I had a head replaced under warranty back in 96, I drove the car home (12 miles) and tried to remove the plugs right away. I could only get 1 plug out, the other 2 wouldn't budge using a 1/2 drive breaker bar with 3' extension. I just left those 2 in place and so far no issues.

Vic in Phoenix
    dohcrt@cox.net

91 Spirit R/T x4
    92 Spirit R/T x2
    89 CSX
    88 CSX-TIII
    84 Rampage TII
    97 Ram (Buzzin Half Dozen)
    69 Dart GT 'Vert