Thread: Converting from Logic module-Power module to SBEC. Pros and cons

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Converting from Logic module-Power module to SBEC. Pros and cons

The more I have been digging into the CSX it really makes me wonder what value there is in fixing what is there VS gutting it and starting from scratch. The underhood harness is a pile of crispy, crunchy dried out garbage. The interface between the underhood harness and the interior harness is of no concern to me, it would get redone with modern connectors. From an originality standpoint this car will never be 'original' its already got a 91+ front brakes and K-frame/control arms on it. Its getting a 3.77 A523.

I have several 90-91 T1 SBEC cores, a few NOS 60 way connector kits and pins to make that part go easily. I would prefer to put in a 3 wire VSS but that creates another problem of not having the provision for a mechanical cable so staying with a 2 wire would be the case there. Getting rid of the two computer system would reduce the amount of extra wiring and clean things up alot.

Longer term I would like to bring the CSX up to the same mechanical/electrical standards as the 94 for a multitude of reasons but mostly for parts commonality where possible.

Thoughts ? something super smack me in the face obvious I am not seeing that would throw a wrench into this idea ?
    1994 Shadow Sedan. 2.2 N/A, A568 400,000 miles. "the science experiment"
    1987 Shelby CSX #418. Long term rebuild and restore ?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: Converting from Logic module-Power module to SBEC. Pros and cons

I was thinking of the same thing but my CSX wiring looks OK. I did ask Shelgame during my visit to his shop. I have plenty SMEC and SBEC so I asked which one. He said the SMEC is "better supported"
    Last edited by chromguy; 07-25-2016 at 12:52 AM.
    Regards,
    Miles

DD '87 Sundance T1, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432 2.5 CB TII, SLH

Hybrid booster

You might be better off pulling and completely rebuilding or copying your existing harness vs trying to change everything to 2nd gen P body and still have it be backwards compatible with the rest of the car.
    the "connectors" sticky has links for most of the connector bodies and pins, you can find multiple sources for different colors/ gauges of wire with stripes. a lot of later model Mopars use the same color wires if you wanted to scavenge out of the junkyard.

if you were to use a sbec/smec setup you would still need to have a 3 wire distance sensor otherwise it will throw the "no input from distance sensor" code. you will also have to change out the steering column and rack as they are different too, unless you feel like splicing about 40 wires at the ignition switch and turn signal switch. if you do a column swap you get stuck with an airbag steering wheel. the '91 model year switch wasnt just a few odds and ends, it covered almost the entire car- even the brake switches are different. i think there was an application that had both a distance sensor and a speedo cable which could solve the vss issue but dont quote me on that.

with a turbo i do not recommend the 3.77 final drive a523. i had one and it was just way to peaky to use with a turbo- soon as you were in good boost and pulling hard it was time to shift due to the close ratio gearing. a 568 from a 2.5 TI would be a much better choice- better gearing and stronger

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Steering column and switch does not need changing. The wires coming out of the bulkhead are pretty much the same, just in different positions. And there's really only about 10 wires maybe that actually go from the computer to inside the car.

The 3 wire speed sensor will have to be used if you use sbec though. Unless you use a '90-91 model, I think they still used 2-wire VSS's.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Force Fed Mopar View Post
    Steering column and switch does not need changing. The wires coming out of the bulkhead are pretty much the same, just in different positions. And there's really only about 10 wires maybe that actually go from the computer to inside the car.

The 3 wire speed sensor will have to be used if you use sbec though. Unless you use a '90-91 model, I think they still used 2-wire VSS's.
    90 used the two wire speed sensor for sure.

IMO, I wouldn't swap unless everything is in horrific condition and there isn't a good NOS or used alternative available. It's a lot of work for realistically no reward.