Thread: Brake booster vacuum line

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Brake booster vacuum line

I've looked all over and I can't see anywhere to attach the 3/8" vacuum line for the brake booster on a Masi 16v engine. There are some vacuum ports on the intake manifold: 3/8" nipple for the PCV, 3/8" for the main vacuum harness, but no dedicated 3/8" nipple just for the brake booster like I've seen on every other 2.2/2.5 engine.

I bought a factory service manual for the Chrysler TC and I can't find any mention of a brake booster vacuum line. I've checked the emissions section, brake section, and intake/exhaust manifold section and it apparently just doesn't exist. I can only imagine this was because of the Teves ABS system that these cars got (?).

I'm retrofitting a Masi 16v engine into my Shelby Lancer. I have a conventional 4-wheel disc setup from a Spirit R/T installed in the car. So far I think my plan is to drill/tap the Masi intake manifold at the (unused) EGR flange next to the throttle body and add a 3/8" NPT fitting/nipple and add the brake booster vacuum there. Sound good?

turbo addict

Re: Brake booster vacuum line

Jeremy,
    My stock masi intake has 4) 3/8" NPT holes for accessories. Charge temp gets one, vacuum/pressure pneumatic source gets one, AC servo needs one, PVC system needs one if your gonna run that. Brake booster needs one, I usually tee my BOV into that one, Your outlet on compressor cover could also be used (depending on turbo selection) for BOV or manual boost control. So yeah, I would tap the unused EGR pad for one. Sure can't hurt.
    Todd

Cool, sounds like a plan. Thanks for all the help with this project Todd. I can only hope that I'll show up at the next SDAC with it. It's not the prettiest SL, but it will certainly be unique.

Also, what do you mean by AC servo? My Masi intake also has 4 3/8" NPT holes:

1. Charge temp sensor
    2. vacuum/boost distribution
    3. PCV
    4. a 3/8" x 1/4" hose nipple (??)

Cruise control? I don't think any SL ever came with CC so I may not worry about it. I'm going to kick the project off with a stock IHI turbo, and just see how it goes. I'm planning on using a small McMaster-Carr vacuum distribution manifold in place of the stock vacuum harness.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    Cool, sounds like a plan. Thanks for all the help with this project Todd. I can only hope that I'll show up at the next SDAC with it. It's not the prettiest SL, but it will certainly be unique.

Also, what do you mean by AC servo? My Masi intake also has 4 3/8" NPT holes:

1. Charge temp sensor
    2. vacuum/boost distribution
    3. PCV
    4. a 3/8" x 1/4" hose nipple (??)

Cruise control? I don't think any SL ever came with CC so I may not worry about it. I'm going to kick the project off with a stock IHI turbo, and just see how it goes. I'm planning on using a small McMaster-Carr vacuum distribution manifold in place of the stock vacuum harness.
    Sorry Jeremy, I meant to say cruise servo. My CSX-T has factory cruise installed by me. Can't live without it on those long SDAC drives. No trailer queens for me! Had a heck of a time locating a TII cruise servo bracket. If I were to do it again I would just install servo where later models installed which was by master cylinder.
    Stock cold side of IHI turbo is terribly small. Turbine side is actually decent sized. Stock swing valve is pitiful too. If I were you I would look into getting much larger cold side (compressor, housing, and backing plate. She will run out of steam quickly with that stock IHI on there.
    Todd

turbo addict

Jeremy, the 16V Masi does not have a factory connection to any brake booster...because of Teves ABS system, like you suspected. One of the things I'm going to have to overcome with my TC because I'm going 11" brakes on it.

- - - Updated - - -

Todd nailed it with the stock IHI, too. It's good to *maybe* 250hp at the crank. It's just too small to make good power, although I've been told by 2 16V Masi experts that it is a fairly efficient turbo, so upping the boost does help it some. To put it in perspective, the stock TI Mitsubishi turbo is MUCH larger than the IHI! LOL

Right now I'm looking at having the stock Masi 16v exhaust manifold modified by Jay. That looks like the best bet so far. I have a few 60 trim T3 turbos from the Mustang SVO that seem like a good match (for now). The IHI turbo that came on the engine (from Mark) isn't exactly in good shape. I'm going to be using a Mopar S60 intercooler, so a big turbo isn't in the cards yet.

I know what you mean about having cruise control. I do have a cruise 'stalk' in my SL from a CC equipped Lancer. I'm working on doing the bulkhead wiring now and hope to have it buttoned up soon if I can find somebody willing to sell me some wiring to complete it. I have all of it done except for the small pins for windshield washer/gauges etc and some other minor circuits.

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    Jeremy, the 16V Masi does not have a factory connection to any brake booster...because of Teves ABS system, like you suspected. One of the things I'm going to have to overcome with my TC because I'm going 11" brakes on it.

- - - Updated - - -

Todd nailed it with the stock IHI, too. It's good to *maybe* 250hp at the crank. It's just too small to make good power, although I've been told by 2 16V Masi experts that it is a fairly efficient turbo, so upping the boost does help it some. To put it in perspective, the stock TI Mitsubishi turbo is MUCH larger than the IHI! LOL
    Thanks for the confirmation! I have the 11" brakes on my SL and was tearing my hair out looking all over for the brake booster vacuum! I don't mind not making a ton of power with the SL. It's mostly the cool factor and nostalgia driving this project.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

This guy builds the turbos for most of my projects. He will rebuild the IHI and stick a 16T compressor wheel in it and then you have something. We experimented going as big as a 19T but that wasn't a great plan, it stalls/surges so bad before 4500 it's annoying. From 4500-6500 you'd better be holding on! It's still in my yellow TC and I've never dyno'd that car but I should just because I know it would be the stupidest looking graph in the world http://turbocharged.com/main.htm

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    This guy builds the turbos for most of my projects. He will rebuild the IHI and stick a 16T compressor wheel in it and then you have something. We experimented going as big as a 19T but that wasn't a great plan, it stalls/surges so bad before 4500 it's annoying. From 4500-6500 you'd better be holding on! It's still in my yellow TC and I've never dyno'd that car but I should just because I know it would be the stupidest looking graph in the world http://turbocharged.com/main.htm
    I might have to follow up on that Alan. I'm not going to be asking a whole lot from the car. I'd be happy with 250 HP at say... 14 psi or so. The car had previously made 196 WHP with 14 psi on the old TII setup. I just really miss driving it! The other option I'm looking into is having Jay modify the manifold for a T3 flange. I have a couple new Mustang SVO turbos (60-trim T3 with .63 A/R turbine) and a "Ultimate Internal Wastegate" from ATP Turbo.

But having the stock IHI modified/rebuilt would save me the cost of having a custom downpipe made so that is very tempting. I have the stock 2.5" Masi 16v downpipe, but it's kind of a bummer because I already have a complete 3" exhaust on the car. I've even considered putting V-band flanges on the downpipes/cat-back to make it more modular just in case I decide to ever go TIII or back to TII.