Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reusing new headgasket

Mitsu booster

Reusing new headgasket

Okay guys I know the very title of this thread makes most want to cringe but I'm in a pinch and need to know for sure either way before I fully commit. Can you reuse a new headgasket? It was put on about less than a week ago. Torqued down with arp bolts to 90ft lbs, and then ran to discover an exhaust leak at the header. It wasn't been on long or ran for maybe 5 minutes tops. Would it be able to be reused or is it once it's on its on and when you take it off you have to throw another on.

turbo addict

Re: Reusing new headgasket

People have done it.
    Would I recommend it? No. I got my Fel Pro for $9 a piece, I think.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

I've reused head gaskets multiple times, but i found that each time they would push coolant at lower and lower boost. I reused one mopar gasket 3 times and by the last time it was pushing coolant at stock boost levels.

So can the car run fine and not leak under stock conditions? Probably. But if you plan to go for power i would recommend a fresh one.

Having said that, RIGHT NOW im building a motor with a reused headgasket. I put it together once, torqued to 65, and then realized i had to take it off before i added the final 1/4 turn. It was never run. We'll see.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Right now, Rock Auto has the Felpro's for $6.99 each. I realize high boost guys don't like them, but IMHO, it's better than used...

Not worth the risk to reuse one in my opinion...

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Sure would be nice if Fel Pro engineered an MLS replacement gasket. but putting engineering dollars into these old engines doesn't make much sense.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    I've reused head gaskets multiple times, but i found that each time they would push coolant at lower and lower boost. I reused one mopar gasket 3 times and by the last time it was pushing coolant at stock boost levels.

So can the car run fine and not leak under stock conditions? Probably. But if you plan to go for power i would recommend a fresh one.

Having said that, RIGHT NOW im building a motor with a reused headgasket. I put it together once, torqued to 65, and then realized i had to take it off before i added the final 1/4 turn. It was never run. We'll see.
    What about an intake/exhaust manifold gasket? Are those reusable under the same conditions?

...if you know what I mean... Turbo Mopar Contributor csxtra's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mrchriswray View Post
    What about an intake/exhaust manifold gasket? Are those reusable under the same conditions?
    Nope. I put a brand new one on a couple of years ago and put the manifolds on in the wrong order and had to take it back apart before I even torqued them both down, and three days later I was pulling the head again to replace the intake/exhaust gasket because it blew out on the exhaust side.
    Warren Hall
    "My Name is Warren and my car is an alcoholic..."
    OVC - SDAC "Our Sh*t Rolls!"
    Cincinnati, OH
    87 CSX # 741
    317WHP - 380 WFt-Lbs (STD-5)
    12.460 @ 113.2 - Race Gas + Methanol Injection
    12.749 @ 109.84 - 91 octane + Methanol Injection (Still tuning...)
    "Illegitimi non carborundum."
    -General Joseph Stillwell
    TD Runlogger Page Has Moved...

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor jonnymopar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    Sure would be nice if Fel Pro engineered an MLS replacement gasket. but putting engineering dollars into these old engines doesn't make much sense.
    Just to ask a stupid question: which head gasket are guys using on 2.4/2.5 hybrid builds? The old style or the new? I'm wondering, since all 2.0/2.4/2.2/2.5 engines have the same size head bolt, bore, and bore center, would the head gasket from a 2.0/2.4 DOHC work? Or even a 2.0 SOHC gasket? OMGQUESTIONS??
    Jon J.

1989 Daytona ES 2.4L DOHC
    2003 Neon SXT - gone but never forgotten

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is!

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

The hybrid conversions rely on external plumbing of oil passages to compensate for mismatches between the block and head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by jonnymopar View Post
    Just to ask a stupid question: which head gasket are guys using on 2.4/2.5 hybrid builds? The old style or the new? I'm wondering, since all 2.0/2.4/2.2/2.5 engines have the same size head bolt, bore, and bore center, would the head gasket from a 2.0/2.4 DOHC work? Or even a 2.0 SOHC gasket? OMGQUESTIONS??
    They use the MLS gasket from the 2.4. But it won't work on our cars because the oil feed & drains are in the wrong locations. That's why you have to run external oil feed & return lines on a hybrid.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

If you have copper spray, go for it. Brand and quality of gasket matters. In a pinch I have used a factory installed headgasket 15 years old that had sat among junk for years. My Duster also currently has a reused low mile headgasket set.

I don't accept the idea that intake or exhaust gaskets can't survive
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

A bit off topic, but has anybody tried a Magnum head gasket? I like the looks of them. They have the sealing bead on them like the later factory Mopar gaskets. I've not broken down and bought one yet, but thinking about it...

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....089378&jsn=479

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

I haven't used them but i've also NEVER had an external leak from the headgasket on one of these so i don't see that as a big plus. I'm using Felpros currently.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

What is your time worth? If it's not worth the $6.99 for a new gasket at Rock Auto I say give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Ondonti View Post
    If you have copper spray, go for it. Brand and quality of gasket matters. In a pinch I have used a factory installed headgasket 15 years old that had sat among junk for years. My Duster also currently has a reused low mile headgasket set.

I don't accept the idea that intake or exhaust gaskets can't survive
    I agree. I would definitely coat it with copper spray if it's going to be reused.

Quote Originally Posted by 83scamp View Post
    Right now, Rock Auto has the Felpro's for $6.99 each. I realize high boost guys don't like them, but IMHO, it's better than used...

Not worth the risk to reuse one in my opinion...

New Felpros are fine. I've made tons of nitrous fed, high boost drag runs and rev limiter smacking autox runs with a Felpro. The one failure I had was totally my fault. Put another Felpro in and went back at it.

For the price, I wouldn't even consider reusing.

turbo addict

I actually have had 2 of my cars leak oil externally from the headgasket, pretty annoying when it happens... this was on motors that came in the car, once I replaced the gasket I had no issues...

Quote Originally Posted by OmniLuvr View Post
    I actually have had 2 of my cars leak oil externally from the headgasket, pretty annoying when it happens... this was on motors that came in the car, once I replaced the gasket I had no issues...

I believe I have that problem right now on my Daytona. Block is wet on the corner at the head gasket, and it runs down the front. I think my turbo lines are also weeping. The head is coming off this week while I have the body apart prepping for paint so I can replace the head gasket & turbo lines.. I will be installing a Felpro gasket.

I can't complain too much, as far as I know, it's the original 25+ year old head gasket & turbo oil lines. Probably well past due for replacement...

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    New Felpros are fine. I've made tons of nitrous fed, high boost drag runs and rev limiter smacking autox runs with a Felpro. The one failure I had was totally my fault. Put another Felpro in and went back at it.

For the price, I wouldn't even consider reusing.
    x2, I've run 25psi on mine, and my buddy has run 30psi. No problems.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

turbo addict

OLD style Fel-Pro... probably from before 2002. You probably can't even find one new.

New style Fel-Pro, all I ever known and used.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor jeff1234's Avatar

I put a Cometic head gasket on my engine this last rebuild, They are terrifically expensive, $140.00 but I believe they claim it can be reused 5 times. I don't know about that I just felt it was worth the money to torque it down and forget about it. Other people may have had a different experience.
    The only substitute for cubic inches is cubic dollars, how fast can you afford to go?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast