Thread: Tie Rod Ends?

Tie Rod Ends?

Looking, I think one is bad or worn enough. Are the ones sold through the parts stores good or should I go with a particular brand? Anything outside our cars that are better than others and will work? I'll buy MP ones, but looking for some options. Thoughts?
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Re: Tie Rod Ends?

What used to be raybestos professional (now owned by moog/federal) I like a lot. moog is crap. AC delco professional still appears to be the same as the old raybestos professional.
    Last edited by 135sohc; 07-13-2016 at 02:58 PM.
    1994 Shadow Sedan. 2.2 N/A, A568 400,000 miles. "the science experiment"
    1987 Shelby CSX #418. Long term rebuild and restore ?

Hybrid booster

rockauto.com

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post
    What used to be raybestos professional (now owned by moog/federal) I like a lot. moog is crap. AC delco professional still appears to be the same as the old raybestos professional.
    That's what I put on my Daytona oh, probably 60,000 miles ago, and they're holding up just fine. Ball joints too.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Moog is crap?? I was under the impression that Moog was one of the premier aftermarket companies for chassis parts.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] 86 Daytona Turbo Z C/S with a full 89 Shelby swap, back on the road and soon to be painted (and lose that Oggie Fisher black) 83 Porsche 944, 5 speed, all stock. 2014 Toyota Tacoma 4x4, 5 speed, daily driver. 2017 Trek 1.2 bicycle.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Moog likes to toot their horn on how their 'powdered metal gusher bearing' design is so superior, it is so superior at being so inferior and not lasting. The raybestos chassis I installed in 2010 on the Shadow to replace the moog garbage installed in 2004 is still rock solid and all the joints are still tight and not sloppy.

K based chassis
    LH chassis
    numerous trucks ect. Every time the moog stuff doesn't go more than a year or two before its loose and making noise again.
    1994 Shadow Sedan. 2.2 N/A, A568 400,000 miles. "the science experiment"
    1987 Shelby CSX #418. Long term rebuild and restore ?

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

Moog used to be the way to go. Seems they have slipped quite a bit on quality sadly. ACDelco are more expensive but seem to still have the goods
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

It's sad to hear that Moog the once "go to" for chassis parts has gone down hill.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] 86 Daytona Turbo Z C/S with a full 89 Shelby swap, back on the road and soon to be painted (and lose that Oggie Fisher black) 83 Porsche 944, 5 speed, all stock. 2014 Toyota Tacoma 4x4, 5 speed, daily driver. 2017 Trek 1.2 bicycle.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

I use Moog and haven't had any issues. I rebuilt the front end and steering linkage on my truck with all Moog parts 40,000 miles ago. It's held up this long.

I'll be autocrossing the car a lot and want to make sure I have something there that will hold up. Anyone had any experience with something outside our stock config? Do they make a heim joint setup or is that something you wouldn't do? I saw some for an import that seemed really strong and durable, but that was a while ago so I don't remember the brand, application, etc. Just curious if there is something as an alternative that might work. Probably will get AC Delco for now. They are more at RA, but hoping they will hold up. Thanks for the input so far!
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

Tie rods are basically larger, greasable heim joints. I look at it this way, I didn't break the old, worn out steering linkage components that used to be on my GLH. Chances are the new steering linkage parts are not going to break either. Unless I hit a tree...

I just got done reading through some other forums about how they aren't designed to hold up long term. I'll stick with the standard kind unless I find a performance one that is better, but probably not this go around.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    I just got done reading through some other forums about how they aren't designed to hold up long term. I'll stick with the standard kind unless I find a performance one that is better, but probably not this go around.
    That's correct. Heim joints are not lubricated and shielded from contamination like OE replacement stuff is. They are great for track duty where components are replaced regularly, but not for long term use in the elements.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=