Thread: Denso starters failing

turbo addict

Denso starters failing

On my third denso starter from autozone and now it failed. Thought it was heat related as the other 2 did not have heat shields. This one came with a heat shield and I also added a starter blanket. The first 2 would just click, this one seems to have a frozen solenoid as it does nothing until you tap it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

turbo addict

Re: Denso starters failing

I only have one dead BOSCH starter here, and I live in AZ, it's 110F today.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Nippodenso gear reduction on the Lebaron, never gave a minutes trouble in 4 years or daily driving. Does have a heat shield.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by shackwrrr View Post
    On my third denso starter from autozone and now it failed. Thought it was heat related as the other 2 did not have heat shields. This one came with a heat shield and I also added a starter blanket. The first 2 would just click, this one seems to have a frozen solenoid as it does nothing until you tap it.

New or rebuilt?

I can tell you from experience, the rebuilt ones are barely that.... They may look good on the outside, but inside... They barely cut the comm, & replace the bearings, and slap them back together...

I'm on my third in the Daytona(it has the Bosch starter). Not sure where the first one came from(replace by previous owner), but it lasted 2 months. It didn't have a heat shield. Bought another from O'Reilly's(with a heat shield), and it lasted 9 months. Replaced under warranty with another. This one seems much better. Definitely turns the engine quicker, and sounds better than the other one ever did. Hopefully I got a good one this time.

If I lose another, I'm buying a brand new Denso. To heck with the remans...

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

All those chain auto parts stores rebuilds are done over seas. A good auto electric shop rebuilt starter and alternators can last many years.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] 86 Daytona Turbo Z C/S with a full 89 Shelby swap, back on the road and soon to be painted (and lose that Oggie Fisher black) 83 Porsche 944, 5 speed, all stock. 2014 Toyota Tacoma 4x4, 5 speed, daily driver. 2017 Trek 1.2 bicycle.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

I put one on the Charger when I built it ten years ago; it was rebuilt by a member on the old forum. I think his name was Lugert? Anyway, ten years, two engines, and three turbos later it hasn't given me a hint of trouble.

My Daytona is another story . . .

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by marc View Post
    All those chain auto parts stores rebuilds are done over seas. A good auto electric shop rebuilt starter and alternators can last many years.
    Sorry, should have clarified parts store remans...

Quote Originally Posted by supercrackerbox View Post
    I put one on the Charger when I built it ten years ago; it was rebuilt by a member on the old forum. I think his name was Lugert? Anyway, ten years, two engines, and three turbos later it hasn't given me a hint of trouble.

My Daytona is another story . . .
    My Scamp still has the original starter on it. I had to pull it off about 20 years ago because the grease had dries out, and the bendix wouldn't kick out. Cleaned and lubed it up with wheel bearing grease, and I've not touched it since... But, it is a carbed motor with a header, so heat isn't as much of an issue...

turbo addict

I might get another warranty unit then take it to the old starter Guy in town for him to go through.

Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

turbo addict

I have a working starter from my 90 daytona. It has the original style heat shield. Is this something someone would want? PM me if so. Its worked for me great.