Thread: Oil pump/distributor shaft issue

Garrett booster

Oil pump/distributor shaft issue

Hey all,

Got a used low mile rebuild from a buddy of mine. It's a late 80's 2.5 turbo 1

Just getting around to putting it in the car. Got it lined up, bolted in, went to check timing on the distributor and noticed there intermediate shaft and oil pump gear are not turning the distributor.

So I pulled distributor off, and everything turns freely and doesn't look put of place, down the hole. However, there is about 1" of length where distributor shaft "tangs" won't reach the oil pump. The oil pump gear looks like it's sitting too low or something. Checked on an old engine I had lying around and the gear definitely sits higher on the old engine.

Any ideas? Is this a different oil pump that requires a different distributor? Maybe a high volume? I'm a little lost.

Thanks

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

Re: Oil pump/distributor shaft issue

Are the gears meshing, or do they miss each other?
    Maybe your pump has the wrong gear. Post some photos if you can.

Garrett booster

Gears are meshing from intermediate shaft to the oil pump gear. No binding, and it spinning the intermediate does turn the oil pump freely. But the top piece that the distributor shaft sits in, is sitting way too low. A good 0.5"-1" low, so the distributor shaft can't reach in far enough to seat itself on the oil pump gear.

I'm thinking it was a weird oil pump in there?

turbo addict

top piece theshaft fits into is to low .. ?

is there a round thingy on the end of the distrbutor shaft with two tangs on it or just a bare shaft ?

'cause there's supposed to be a drive lug on the end of the shaft that fits the slots on top of the pump gear

your discription sounds like this lug might be missing

Garrett booster

Sorry if the post lacks clarity, I'll try and get some photos later but most likely I'll be droppingthe pan and checking the pump

The lugs are there on the distributor drive shaft, I have two of them handy and they are the same length.

Just the oil pump gear where the tangs fit into - its farther away than usual.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

The only way the oil pump gear could further down in the bore is if the oil pump isn't fully seated. I can't see any other reason for this. I agree with you on dropping the oil pan.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] 86 Daytona Turbo Z C/S with a full 89 Shelby swap, back on the road and soon to be painted (and lose that Oggie Fisher black) 83 Porsche 944, 5 speed, all stock. 2014 Toyota Tacoma 4x4, 5 speed, daily driver. 2017 Trek 1.2 bicycle.

Garrett booster

Weird. The oil pump wasn't sitting flush against the flange is my guess. The bolts were tight on the pump but it wasn't fully on the intermediate shaft. I looked at the wear pattern on the teeth and nothing looked abnormal, so it must have been when we had the bottom end torn apart and didn't re-sent the oil pump properly.

Everything is good now, sits about 0.5" higher and engaged on the distributor shaft now.