Thread: 1987 Shelby CSX Chump Car

Hybrid booster

1987 Shelby CSX Chump Car

Date: 06th July 2016
    Username: glhs399
    Full Name: Doug
    Beaverton, OR, 97003:
    Price: $800 OBO

Description: 1987 Shelby CSX #223. Car has been prepared for Chump car races (not street legal)
    Bolt in roll cage that has been welded in.Very easy car to drive. Plenty of cheap engine options for the car. Chrysler engines 2.2/2.5 SOHC N/A or turbo or a 2.0/2.4 DOHC N/A or turbo. Raced in three Chumpcar races. Other car projects are taking up time and space. It needs to be raced.

• Rolling Shell (No motor or transaxle included)
    • Subaru STI Front struts and springs
    • Late model K frame
    • Poly Bushings
    • Modified rear axle
    • Seam Welded engine bay
    • Fuel Cell
    • Roll Cage
    • 8 16" Steel Wheels with Dunlop Direzza Star Spec tires
    • Battery relocated
    • Chump Car Log book

Last edited by glhs399; 02-21-2022 at 08:10 PM. Reason: price drop

boostaholic

Re: 1987 Shelby CSX Chump Car

What a shame

Hybrid booster

It is pretty sad. I tried to get anyone to take the car and restore it but no one wanted this thing.

Here is how it looked when I brought it home

My friend discover this car by looking at 4WD ads on Craigslist. He noticed that this truck was sitting on top of a CSX. Here are the pictures. I tried to save it but no luck. At least it hasn't gotten crushed yet.

Old thread on car
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ics&highlight=
    Last edited by glhs399; 07-06-2016 at 04:18 AM.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

At least it's racing and not a garage ornament.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

turbo addict

I remember this car from a few years back when it was used for monster truck practice. if memory serves correct, it was told the car was originally painted red and sold by the same dealership that painted the red 87 glhs a member owns.....

I thought this car was long long gone

Hybrid booster

lets see... what would make Mr Carrol Shelby happier to hear about..

#1 your mint condition un-molested un-used garage queen show car CSX, that has never been driven in anger.

#2 your dirty --- beat on garage built race car you saved from the scrapper, out giving the business to other cars lap after lap.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by masterjr33 View Post
    lets see... what would make Mr Carrol Shelby happier to hear about..

#1 your mint condition un-molested un-used garage queen show car CSX, that has never been driven in anger.

#2 your dirty --- beat on garage built race car you saved from the scrapper, out giving the business to other cars lap after lap.
    Probably option #3 He wouldn't care, as long as he got his fees for use of his name and signature likeness out of it. But of the 2 options presented, I would say #2.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by glhs399 View Post
    It is pretty sad. I tried to get anyone to take the car and restore it but no one wanted this thing.

Here is how it looked when I brought it home

My friend discover this car by looking at 4WD ads on Craigslist. He noticed that this truck was sitting on top of a CSX. Here are the pictures. I tried to save it but no luck. At least it hasn't gotten crushed yet.

Old thread on car
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ics&highlight=

I didnt know that about the car, Im sure that truck has been junked

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rich tideswell View Post
    I remember this car from a few years back when it was used for monster truck practice. if memory serves correct, it was told the car was originally painted red and sold by the same dealership that painted the red 87 glhs a member owns.....

I thought this car was long long gone

Whats the car number Doug, if it originally sold at Anaheim Dodge there could be some credence to this story...

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    Whats the car number Doug, if it originally sold at Anaheim Dodge there could be some credence to this story...
    ^^^^^^^^^ I'm pretty sure it was you who told it..... something along the lines of when you bought the red ghls, there were the csx's on the lot painted the same too.

post #70 in this thread is where you tell the story of getting the glhs

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ng-hurts/page4

"I had an 87 Shadow ES That I bought in late 86 with my final paycheck from the Navy (separation pay), when I moved to the Anaheim area a few months later and took my ES for some minor warranty work at Anaheim Dodge, that's when I 'discovered' Shelby Dodges An 87 CSX was the first one I ever laid eyes on. I believe there were 3 CSX
    's sitting there. An eager sales guy talked me into a test drive I drove it pretty hard but it didn't run all that great and felt similar to my ES for some reason But after the test drive the salesman was still trying to work an angle for some kind of commission, talked this kid into test driving a "faster Shelby" So he takes me over to the row of GLHS's (they were on the other side of the lot and I hadn't seen them yet) and it was at first sight! Where were these things when I was buying my Shadow?? Hayward Dodge in NorCal where I bought the ES must not have been a Shelby dealer cause I'd never seen (or heard of) Shelby GLHS's before. My cousin had an 85 NA GLH that we had done tons of burnouts in and driven everywhere which is why I went to the Dodge dealer for my first ever new car (when my 81Tercel threw a rod)in the first place. As a side note, Mike's GLH had 575 miles on it when he bought it 'new' and the wear bars were showing on the front tires! His dad talked the dealership into 2 new goodyears as part of the deal. Think those sales guys weren't having some fun with that thing?

Anyway, the test drive in the GLHS was like a whole nuther experience-night and day difference from how the CSX pulled! So here I am, in love with this GLHS thing but I already have a $324/month payment on the ES that is only 4-5 months old. No way they could finance me for a second car payment on what I was earning. Can you say waaay upside down Still, I vowed that I would get one-somehow After that day is when I started visiting Anaheim Dodge all the time for any weak sauce reason I could think of I even changed my route to work so I could drive down Ball Rd every morning and look at the row of GLHS's gleaming in the sun I think there were 6 S's at first but it could have been 5. Weeks and months passed and it was easily 14-15 months later on a Friday they were down to 2 GLHS's in that row. I managed to talk my Grandpa into going down there the next day and co-signing on the loan for one of those last two S cars. Saturday morning, no S cars left WTF?? Sales guy said they sold one yesterday afternoon and the last one was in the paint shop so they could try and sell the damn thing... He obviously had no love for the little cars that had been languishing on the lot for almost 2 years

I can't recall if any CSX's were still on the lot that August day in '88, I was too focused on getting my GLHS. We did look in the dingy window to the paint booth and the techs were prepping/masking it to be painted. We did the deal without ever test driving the car with the agreement that the car would be ready in 3 days. Maybe they painted the CSX after the red GLHS sold the 'first day'? Sounds reasonable to me Is the car gone now Doug?"

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Nice digging Rich I merely *speculated* that they could have painted a CSX as I've never seen any cold hard proof to it happening. I *know* my GLHS was painted before ownership took place which is why I'll stick by the 'Dealer Option Red' description I've given it. Now if the rest of the TM fleet would stop requiring repairs, I might actually finish the 2l Masi motor for it.

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Was hoping back in 2009 it would end up in AJ's garage... looks like a fun race car tho.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Hybrid booster

I would love to see this car back racing again. Heck if you are the the PNW area and buy it I would join your racing team for Lucky Dog, Lemons, or World Racing League events and help with prep. This is just taking up too much room in my garage and I need to focus on a couple of GLH's that need to get finished.

I would love to see this car back racing again. Heck if you are the the PNW area and buy it I would join your racing team for Lucky Dog, Lemons, or World Racing League events and help with prep. This is just taking up too much room in my garage and I need to focus on a couple of GLH's that need to get finished.
    If some guy named Kevin comes to buy your house, tell him he can only buy the house if he takes this car and agrees to race it. LOL! Seriously tho, Kevin is a good guy and would give your house a good owner.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!

Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    If some guy named Kevin comes to buy your house, tell him he can only buy the house if he takes this car and agrees to race it. LOL! Seriously tho, Kevin is a good guy and would give your house a good owner.

What the heck...How do you know this? Small world???

turbo addict

Darn...no room, and not enough money.

What the heck...How do you know this? Small world???
    Kevin used to work for me and figured if he was looking at a house full of Shelby Dodges I would know who it is, LOL! Good luck with sale!

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    Darn...no room, and not enough money.
    Make some! I'll make you a heck of a deal...
    Last edited by glhs399; 07-12-2016 at 03:04 AM.