Thread: What turbo do I have?

Garrett booster

What turbo do I have?

So I have two turbo's sitting on my shelf, both of which are a little bit of a mystery as to exactly what they are.

1st turbo was taken off a Shelby charger that I picked up from southern TN but was originally an Indy car. From what I remember it was described to me as a "Grand National Hybrid Turbo" or something along those lines.

Here are the specs, best I can get at least
    Compressor housing = unknown size, no name, only a 6 digit casting number. It is rather large.
    Compressor wheel = 56mm x 74mm (57 trim wheel)
    Exhaust housing = .63 A/R
    Exhaust wheel = Around 49mm, I measured through the housing. (I was unable to get housing off due to locks up bolts, they are soaking in penetrant now)

2nd Turbo was taken off my Wagon, which I purchased from Devon in Indy, and he bought from Wallace (screen name) from Richmond VA. I was told it was a Super 70 turbo.

Here are the specs
    Compressor Housing = .60ar
    Compressor wheel = 48mm x 70mm (math shows 47 trim, but i'm guess I measured wrong and it's a 46 trim)
    Exhaust housing = .63 a/r
    Exhust wheel = 53mm x 64mm

I was thinking about combining the two turbos, and putting the larger compressor wheel and housing with the larger exhaust wheel. Wondering if that would make another normally available turbo, like a t3/t4 57 trim with a stage 2 wheel.....or something like that.

Reason I'm thinking about this, is the turbo I have on the wagon now is my van's old turbo. It has had a very hard life and now with waste gate disconnected is only making 22-24 psi. If I can rebuild one turbo and have a higher HP capable turbo I'd like to do so. But if I'd end up with a rebuilt paperweight I'd rather not do that

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Re: What turbo do I have?

Looking at my archives...

Turbo A
    =>Comp cover - if wastegate bolts to front of cover its probably a T03 cover (like stock T-II type). Measure diameter of comp cover backing plate to determine if T04B or T04E. can compare to one off your van
    =>T04E-57 comp wheel is 56.64(I) and 74.893(E) so 57 trim sounds about right.
    =>Turbine wheel - 49MM exducer is close to stock T03 which is 58.93 (I) and 48.67 (E)

Turbo B
    =>Comp Cover - is this one noticeably smaller than Turbo A?
    =>T04B-S comp wheel is 48.36(I) and 69.85(E) so S trim sounds about right.
    =Turbine wheel - Stage 2 is 64.90 (I) and 53.85 (E)

Could combine the two. Take the cover, backing plate and comp wheel from A and the rest from B, the only concern is to do this the center section needs to be disassembled so it really should be re-balanced. I'm trtying to recall what Nate (88 Pacifica?) said about balancing at the SDAC-21 tech seminar on rebuilding turbos in SDAC hotel parking lots...

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

turbo addict

Pictures of both?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Van_Duno View Post
    It has had a very hard life and now with waste gate disconnected is only making 22-24 psi. If I can rebuild one turbo and have a higher HP capable turbo I'd like to do so.
    Rebuild will not allow you to run more boost.

Garrett booster

Turbo A backing plate is 6 1/8 inch The housing itself has a 3" inlet and 2" outlet. The housing is much larger than Turbo B, and using my "eyeball tape measure" is the same size as the new turbo on my van.

As for balancing i'm sure it "should" be balanced, but money's a little tight so might just throw that on the winter to-do list.

Sounds like I have a decent turbo on the shelf, just needing some TLC.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    Pictures of both?

Rebuild will not allow you to run more boost.
    Well the old turbos been on two different cars, totally different setups and used to push over 30psi on a regular basis. Now even with wastegate vacuum line disconnected and adjustable arm adjusted extremely tight it still only makes 22-24. I have to think something is wrong with the turbo.

As for pics I have never been able to post pics on here easily. I always had to host them on another site and link. It's rather annoying.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Van_Duno View Post
    it still only makes 22-24. I have to think something is wrong with the turbo.
    I take that back, turbo damage can limit boost. Did you take it apart and look it closely like I did?

This made solid 9psi

Garrett booster

No I haven't taken it out yet, once I get the other two turbos I have combined into one good one, than I'll pull the turbo that's on the car and inspect it. Right now it's still my daily fun car and backup racer.

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Look at your exhaust housing carefully. A cracked housing in the area of the wastegate has been known to happen when maxing out turbos, and will limit boost.
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini