Thread: Starter or Starter Solenoid?

Hybrid booster

Starter or Starter Solenoid?

I'm having intermittent starting problems (no response when key/ ignition turned on). Battery checks good.

Vehicle: Rebuilt 1991 Turbo Shadow. 2.5L Modified T2/3 setup. Original owner gutted a Shadow Vert and replaced with all Shelby components (ENTIRE car).

Was/ is the starter solenoid on these cars on top of one of the shock towers?

Any tips on how to check/ replace the solenoid?

What's the easiest way to get to the starter? How many bolts?

Finally, how much should I expect to pay for parts and does anyone have a good parts source?

Thanks!
    Last edited by cqlink; 07-05-2016 at 03:10 PM. Reason: correction

turbo addict

Re: Starter or Starter Solenoid?

I have couple of BOSCH starters, $10 + shipping if you want them. Shipping will probably be around $30 due to the weight.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

I'm not sure if it's a relay by itself or part of a PDC on the left tower in 91, but it would feed a brown 14 gage wire to activate the starter. Try jumping it and see if it cranks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] 86 Daytona Turbo Z C/S with a full 89 Shelby swap, back on the road and soon to be painted (and lose that Oggie Fisher black) 83 Porsche 944, 5 speed, all stock. 2014 Toyota Tacoma 4x4, 5 speed, daily driver. 2017 Trek 1.2 bicycle.

Hybrid booster

Thanks. The problem is the problem is intermittent. Most of the time it starts right up. "No starts," however, are becoming more frequent. When it doesn't start, a jump via my other car or my trusty Sears battery charger does the trick.

I've not had a starting problem with these cars so I'm not sure what else to look for.

If you are jumping it and it starts I don't think it has anything to do with the starter relay but more to do with your battery connections or the battery cables.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] 86 Daytona Turbo Z C/S with a full 89 Shelby swap, back on the road and soon to be painted (and lose that Oggie Fisher black) 83 Porsche 944, 5 speed, all stock. 2014 Toyota Tacoma 4x4, 5 speed, daily driver. 2017 Trek 1.2 bicycle.

Hybrid booster

Thanks again. The positive cable end has an oddball connector on it. I'll try swapping it out with a standard clamp and see what happens.

Hybrid booster

Inspected cables. Noticed a bit of corrosion near the terminal end of the negative cable, however, it appears there's no way to disassemble the clamp (remove the wire completely from the clamp end). It looks like I'll have to strip it and replace the cable.

In the interim, I wire brushed as much corrosion as possible end and sprayed a lot of contact cleaner into the terminal end housing the rest of the cable wire. Next, I disassembled the original clamp assembly (see pics) and kept only the original terminal end. Put everything back together, taped up the exposed wire as close as possible to the terminal end and the car started right up.

Question(s):
    1. There are three wires on the positive cable, Why three and what cable should I buy to replace?
    2. What's the purpose of the way the terminal end originally designed (extended base and green cap on top post)?

Last edited by cqlink; 07-11-2016 at 09:39 AM. Reason: corretion

Question one, one heavy cable goes to the starter motor, the thin wire is for the hazard flasher, and the last heavy cable feeds the PDC or the fuseable links depending the set up.
    Question two, I can't open the pictures. It sounds like you are describing a master disconnect switch? If so, get rid of it. It may be the cause of your troubles.
    What you want is a stock type of cable. I don't know if Chrysler makes that cable anymore.

Hybrid booster

Thanks Marc. I ditched the modified (disconnect switch) just before I cleaned everything up and the car fired right up. I saw Rock Auto had a negative cable assembly but was out of stock.

Does anyone know where I can fined another negative cable assy. with the three wire terminal?

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

Check your fusible links. (If you have them) I've seen an intermittenent starter issue caused by a ready to fail fusible link.

You mean the posivte cable?? The three wire battery cable is a bit unusual. If unavailable new, a good auto electric shop can crimp a new terminal on to the wire's. Avoid using those clamp type battery terminals they sell at the auto parts store, they are garbage.

Hybrid booster

Update. As mentioned I cleaned up terminal connections and wire. Tightened everything down and I was fine until today. With no key in ignition, my fuel pump is turning on. I can hear fuel flowing through the filter.

I did use engine degreaser to clean up the engine bay a bit and some water may have washed onto electrical components but I was fairly careful to avoid these parts.

Any ideas why my pump is energizing?
    Last edited by cqlink; 09-03-2016 at 03:45 PM. Reason: edit

Hybrid booster

In the interim, I'm going to pull the relay and check for issues.

Hybrid booster

Found a bit of water in the relay. Sprayed with contact cleaner and replaced. Same issue.

Blew everything out of relay with compressed air. Pump wont energize at all. Ordered new one from Rock Auto.

Hybrid booster

Jumped the engine. Started right up. Back to square one.