Thread: Need two Dodge Omni GLH Steering Knuckles

Garrett booster

Need two Dodge Omni GLH Steering Knuckles

Title says it! Have converted an 89 Horizon to 5 lug, ventilated discs in front and want to do the same to an 88 Horizon. Anyone parting out a GLH or GLHS or have a spare set of knuckles laying around.
    THESE ARE NOT THE SAME AS ORDINARY OMNI/HORIZON KNUCKLES. They are thicker so the bearing hole can be deeper to use the same bearing as the heavier cars and the bolt center spacing for the brake horns is different.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Re: Need two Dodge Omni GLH Steering Knuckles

Are you still looking for a pair of these? I have some from an '85 Shelby Charger Turbo. They will most definitely need new hubs/wheel bearings though.

Garrett booster

I think that I want them but I have to check on compatibility. Supposedly, the identical knuckles I want were used on the 84, 85 and 86 Omni GLH and GLHS and on the 1987 Shelby Charger. I do not know about the compatibility of the 85 Shelby Charger since it was not specifically listed. I suspect that they meant all Shelby Chargers and GLHS's in the years that they were common and listed the 87 Shelby Charger separately because there was no GLH or GLHS in that year. One guy who replied has the book about compatible parts (Crash Repair Manual) and I will ask him to check.

I think that it will be OKay because Autozone lists two different bearing for 85 to 87 Dodge Chargers and Shelby Chargers. Regular Charger is B39 like regular Omni/Horizon and Shelby Charger is 513006 like the GLH and GLHS. This tells me that at least the bearing size is correct. I just have to confirm the thickness of the knuckles where they bolt into the strut.

Added: I think that I just confirmed that the knuckles are the same because Autozone list the same KYB strut for all Shelby Chargers and GLH and GLHS Omnis.

Do you have the knuckles out where you can make some measurements? The single biggest yea or nea to check for is whether the thickness where the knuckle is inside the strut is 0.91 inches thick. This would be the thickness measured from the side of the car of the material bolted into the strut.

The 2nd measurement is that the knuckle has to be thicker than the 1.47 inches measured for a stock Omni/Horizon which uses the narrower B39 bearing which wears out too quickly under load. The GLH knuckle is thicker where the bearing is pressed in but I can't measure that thickness until tomorrow because I have to go to the car where it is mounted and pull off the wheel.

Doctor Johnny Dodge posting elsewhere says that the brake adapter used on the stock Omni/Horizon has a different bolt center spacing where it mounts onto the stock knuckle. I measured a stock knuckle and found 3.75 inches. But I swear that this standard knuckle has an adapter for the ventilated brakes I previously mounted on it but I can't remember for sure. I will go to my 89 which has GLH knuckles and measure the bolt spacing of the brake adapter.

Actually, thinking about it, I have a brake adapter in the trunk of my car but it is absolutely pissing down raining right now and it is 2:55 AM so this can obviously wait until morning and dry.

I have taken pictures of a stock knuckle and show the display for my caliper showing where the measurement was made but I can't attach photos. If you want to see photos you can Personal Message me with your e-mail and I can send them. I tried to be specific in the write-up however, so that pictures may not be necessary.

What do you want for your set of knuckles? Can you FedEx or UPS?

turbo addict

5 lug Shelby Charger have the same knuckles as 5 lug GLH

Garrett booster

So apparently, the last hurdle is whether the hubs are 5 lug, though Autozone's parts selector does show both a 4 and 5 lug replacement hub assemblies for an 85 Shelby Charger. Anyone know when the switchover from 4 lug to 5 lug was for GLH, GLHS or Shelby Charger?

So yes please. If your knuckles are 5 lug I would like both knuckles. I suspect that 4 lug would also be the right knuckle and that after deciding that a 140 HP car needed a better bearing, they changed to 5 lug when they saw lugs breaking on the street. I already have one 5 lug hub assembly waiting to be installed.

To anyone else out there, never scrap a Shelby Charger, GLH or GLHS without saving the knuckles and offering them on the various forums.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

1985 and 1986 GLH along with 1985-1987 Shelby Charger were 5 lug. They changed from four to five lugs because wheels were falling off during the IMSA racing circuit.