Thread: Masi 16v air box

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Masi 16v air box

I'm trying to figure out how to mount the air box assembly in my Masi 16v equipped Shelby Lancer. I bought the engine without the air box assembly, but as far as I know it uses the Turbo II air box assembly. The problem is that there are no threaded holes in the cylinder head to mount the support bracket as there on the 8v SOHC head. Does the Masi 16v use a special support bracket or does it just simply 'float' there with the hoses supporting it?

Re: Masi 16v air box

OK, looking through my collection of Masi 16v TC pictures, it does indeed look like there is an air box bracket. I can only surmise that it piggybacks onto the bell housing bolts since there are no holes in rear of the cylinder head like a TI/TII. Bummer.....I was really going for a "it was born there" look but I don't have this bracket so maybe I'll just have to make my own.

turbo addict

Jeremy I may have an extra one. Give me a day or two to look. Need to blow the dust off the masi stuff

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    Jeremy I may have an extra one. Give me a day or two to look. Need to blow the dust off the masi stuff
    Mighty mighty cool of you Todd. Now that the SL is over at my new place I'm really excited about working on it again. A local friend (Hunter) came over this weekend and really helped with a bunch of stuff. I can't wait to take it out on the street again!!

If it's anything like my Omni GLH, there will be a few local car guys that will be dropping their jaws at the sight of the SL cruising the streets of Gillette, WY again.

Last week, I was in my old GLH Turbo with my friend Hunter driving. We stopped at a local restaurant looking for a Saab 900 turbo he told me about. We didn't find it, but a couple old car guy friends just happened to drive through the parking lot while we were there and it was like "OMG it's the OMNI!!!!" So good talking to old friends again! I imagine it will be like that when the SL hits the streets again soon.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

I loaned Woody to a friend last night so he could take his kids and their friends to a concert, I've known this guy for 15+ years so his kids have grown up with Woody like mine have the last 5-6 years. I got a call from him about 1030 last night, he describes Woody making a "knock knock" sound before he died and coasted to the shoulder. I traded him out for Quicksilver so he could get all the kids home. While I waited for AAA to tow Woody home, I noticed there is oil dripping off of the pan but not like rod-thru-the-block amount, just like a half cup. Curious, it turns over(but maybe a little fast?) but no spark or fuel. Probably a bad HEP as well as the bleeding of it's vital fluid issue. It's the 4th today with lots of fun planned so I don't think I'll dig into it much other than throw a HEP at it. The reason I put this post here Jeremy is because Woody may be getting a Masi Motor sooner than I expected I've been happy with the power of the 2.5 and fresh top end so far but I'd rather drop a Masi in there than rebuild the 2.5 if it's got real damage.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160703_231047.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	58826  

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

turbo addict

Success! Jeremy PM or email me your new mailing address, I'll get it sent out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7740.JPG 
Views:	92 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	58827  

Sent you a PM Todd. It even has a 'timing window'. Awesome!

I'm spending the 4th working on the Lancer in my OWN garage, rather than a big apt complex parking lot for once. I just can't wait to fire it up and hear a Masi 16v for the first time and drive it for the first time in like 7 years. Sounds funny, but I've even thought of getting a 2nd job at Dominos delivering pizza for old times sake (OK, probably not.... but maybe, still got a few good friends there).

My friend Hunter and I got the lower radiator support fixed up (after the towing mishap), so today I plan to get the front motor mount installed, TU radiator, Super 60 intercooler, Derale fan, and maybe even start on the wiring conversion.

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    I loaned Woody to a friend last night so he could take his kids and their friends to a concert, I've known this guy for 15+ years so his kids have grown up with Woody like mine have the last 5-6 years. I got a call from him about 1030 last night, he describes Woody making a "knock knock" sound before he died and coasted to the shoulder. I traded him out for Quicksilver so he could get all the kids home. While I waited for AAA to tow Woody home, I noticed there is oil dripping off of the pan but not like rod-thru-the-block amount, just like a half cup. Curious, it turns over(but maybe a little fast?) but no spark or fuel. Probably a bad HEP as well as the bleeding of it's vital fluid issue. It's the 4th today with lots of fun planned so I don't think I'll dig into it much other than throw a HEP at it. The reason I put this post here Jeremy is because Woody may be getting a Masi Motor sooner than I expected I've been happy with the power of the 2.5 and fresh top end so far but I'd rather drop a Masi in there than rebuild the 2.5 if it's got real damage.
    Way cool Alan. Just last night my older brother Dan (who now owns my old Omni GLH), called me to tell me about how he roasted a BMW 325. The Omni has been reverted back to TI with 3" exhaust and a nice head from Todd and is only pushing about 8-9 psi boost with a stock turbo. There was a girl driving and after 3 stop light races, she said she loved the car and wanted to buy it. He said there was a guy in the passenger seat and he just leaned back and never said anything hahaha.

I'm still trying to twist Dan's arm into letting me put a TIII or Masi 16v into the Omni. Lord knows I have all the parts to make that happen so.....maybe.

In the meantime, I really gotta get this Lancer and my Spirit R/T running again. If I can get through that and sell the Spirit R/T (with the 2.5L setup), I'd love to buy a GMC Syclone.