Thread: Fuel pump recommendations

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Fuel pump recommendations

Hi guy's, the fuel pump in my Daytona is getting weak. 20 psi @12 volts and 46-48 psi @ 14.3 volts with the return line pinch off and the vacuum line disconnect from the fpr. And yes, the car has been hard to start also.
    Anyhow, what's a reliable fuel pump these days thats the least likely to leave me stuck on the side of the road? My Daytona has a bone stock Tll in it and the stock 12 psi is all it will ever see. Rockauto carries Carter, Airtex, Denso, Delphi, etc. I don't think I need a high performance pump like a Walbro. Thanks in advance.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] 86 Daytona Turbo Z C/S with a full 89 Shelby swap, back on the road and soon to be painted (and lose that Oggie Fisher black) 83 Porsche 944, 5 speed, all stock. 2014 Toyota Tacoma 4x4, 5 speed, daily driver. 2017 Trek 1.2 bicycle.

Garrett booster

Re: Fuel pump recommendations

I have heard of a lot of premature failures with after market fuel pumps. If you want a stock pump, I would go with a factory mopar replacement fuel pump under old part number 5217852 or new part number 4797887.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-521785...BWI5eH&vxp=mtr

boostaholic

You could try a Deatschwerks. Heard pretty good things about those pumps. I went with a walbro 190.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...t=DeatschWerks

Quote Originally Posted by 87blueshelbyz View Post
    I have heard of a lot of premature failures with after market fuel pumps. If you want a stock pump, I would go with a factory mopar replacement fuel pump under old part number 5217852 or new part number 4797887.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-521785...BWI5eH&vxp=mtr
    Good find! because 5217852 and 4797887 are discontinued. I did ordered that pump from the eBay link you provided.

Those Deatschwerks pumps look real nice also. Just not what I was looking for.

Thanks guys, marc
    Last edited by marc; 07-02-2016 at 07:21 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] 86 Daytona Turbo Z C/S with a full 89 Shelby swap, back on the road and soon to be painted (and lose that Oggie Fisher black) 83 Porsche 944, 5 speed, all stock. 2014 Toyota Tacoma 4x4, 5 speed, daily driver. 2017 Trek 1.2 bicycle.

turbo addict

You can always get a much bigger fuel pump than stock. 1/4 inch return line is plenty, even to run a 340lph pump. One huge bonus about the Deatschwerks pump is, that they are quiet. 3 year no fault warranty helps too, and you can get them straight from factory, so no buying knock-off accidentally.

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    You can always get a much bigger fuel pump than stock. 1/4 inch return line is plenty, even to run a 340lph pump. One huge bonus about the Deatschwerks pump is, that they are quiet. 3 year no fault warranty helps too, and you can get them straight from factory, so no buying knock-off accidentally.
    All good points but my engine is stock so fitment, reliable, and low amperage draw are my priorities.
    I'm in the minority here. Most of the guys here are about 1/4 mile performance where I'm just looking for a nice driver.

BTW and nothing to do with the fuel pump and a bit of history. I bought this car as a roller and I also bought a wrecked 89 Daytona Shelby. I striped the 89 of the engine, transmission, K-frame/A arms, rear axle, brakes, SMEC, etc. Freshen up the engine and installed those parts into the 86. I drove it for a year and then I decided this would be a nice car to have as a keeper. I've been storing it now for 7 years but I keep it road ready. The good news is my wife is retiring soon and we will be putting the house up for sale and getting off of long Island. Then I'll start with the restoration. Sorry for the long post, but I figured you guys were wondering why l'm needing a fuel pump for a car that my signature says off the road.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Im just glad it's staying with someone who cares about it!

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

I went with a Walbro 190 pump, it's close to stock and doesn't pull more amperage than stock. Though you will have to dremel the plastic holder to fit the Walbro pump into the holder. I like to keep my '89 LeBaron stock but if there is a internal piece that make the car faster or more reliable I'll use it.

Attachment 58879
    Attachment 58880

I'm very happy that I was able to get a Mopar fuel pump assembly. Like I said earlier, I'm a12 psi guy.
    Thanks to 87blueshelby for the link. I searched eBay and couldn't find one.
    BTW I found a date on the box, 1990!

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Looks good! Also knocks out several failure points in one swoop.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    Looks good! Also knocks out several failure points in one swoop.
    Yes! You got to wonder about the thirty year old wires soaking in gas.